I use the google calendar and the google sync program. It took me some time to figure out how to sync future events beyond the default 4 weeks and now I have it set to sync for the next 24 weeks (although I wish it'd go further than that)

But, it deletes past events. Actually it cancels them. So if I invite someone to an event, it sends an invite to them. Great, perfect. But then after the event happens, it automatically cancels the event AND automatically emails them a cancelation notice. I feel like my calendar is spaming people with this. They dont need that cancelation email. Heck, I dont want the event canceled for that matter. I want it to sit there on my phone until all eternity.

Thanks.
    11-23-08 09:24 AM
    I use the google calendar and the google sync program. It took me some time to figure out how to sync future events beyond the default 4 weeks and now I have it set to sync for the next 24 weeks (although I wish it'd go further than that)

But, it deletes past events. Actually it cancels them. So if I invite someone to an event, it sends an invite to them. Great, perfect. But then after the event happens, it automatically cancels the event AND automatically emails them a cancelation notice. I feel like my calendar is spaming people with this. They dont need that cancelation email. Heck, I dont want the event canceled for that matter. I want it to sit there on my phone until all eternity.

Thanks.
    Couple of points here, first the BB will delete calendar entries based on the option setting for the calendar application. I think the default is 30 days, you can set this to "forever" by opening the options from the BB menu. I am not sure if forever really means it as there are routines that run in the BB to clean up old stuff if memory runs low, others can speak to if forever really means forever.

Second, I have noticed that if you hit dismiss on an appointment it looks like GSync may be thinking this is a cancellation instead of "shut up I know about the appointment!" I have seen messages get sent out from my BB to that effect if I had received the appointment request via Email. I am not sure yet what exactly is going on, this did not happen when I used the BB desktop to sync the calendar, it started when I added GSync. I have been playing around with it and I think if if you open the item rather then dismiss it that may prevent the notice getting sent but I am not sure yet. Also, there is a new release of GSync out that I have not loaded yet, I am using 0.4.7 and there is a newer release out that I have not loaded yet because it includes contact sync which I want but am not quite ready to load until I get my contacts cleaned up a bit.
    11-23-08 04:39 PM
    I did some more research on this and according to a post I found on the Google help forums from a Google employee, Gsync deletes appointments after 1 week. This is viewed as a feature by Google to save phone memory and they state that if you need to see old appointments you can either view them on the BB using the browser based calendar application (primitive at best) or go to a PC and look on there, they are not deleted from the on-line Google calendar. There were some posts about messages being sent to the originator of the appointment if the appointment was not made by the owner, which is my problem, but no answer to that so far that I could find.
    11-23-08 05:30 PM
    There were some posts about messages being sent to the originator of the appointment if the appointment was not made by the owner, which is my problem, but no answer to that so far that I could find.

Thats kind of my big thing too. My BB keeps automatically sending cancelation notices to people and its irritating. First of all, the event is in the past therefore it confuses people when they get a cancelation email.

Thanks for your other help though. i do have my calendar set to "forever" on my BB - which is why I was confused as to why it was deleting them.
    12-07-08 06:15 PM
    By the way the latest upgrade from Google did not fix this issue. I have been unable to find out anything else but I keep looking. I guess very few people are having this issue....
    12-08-08 04:48 AM
    I am having this issue. It is ridiculous that it deletes events that are 4 weeks old. I agree it deletes from the BB, but keeps the events on the google server. There are many times when I want to look back and see what date a particular event ocurred, or what day I did something. automatically deleting it from the BB is silly.
    01-19-09 11:13 PM
    I'm having this problem too, really annoying. I guess the most annoying part is sending cancellation email to my invites. really embarassing.

I still cannot find the answer to fix this?
    anyone??
    03-24-09 08:27 PM
    Nope, still havent found a solution.....not sure there is one out there....I have googled the topic more than I care to admit. Hopefully google will change this "feature" in the future.
    03-24-09 09:37 PM
    This is one terrible piece of software. It's not "beta", it's more like "alpha". I would warn strongly before using it. I ran it and it deletes all appointments more than 2 weeks old (which is the longest period you can set it to), but then it sends out cancellation emails to everyone who was invited to the meeting.

It was quite embarrassing to have over 100 emails sent out to people in my company about the cancellation of a meeting that occurred 2 weeks ago!

Google needs to fix this piece of junk before I'll ever try it again.
    03-25-09 06:46 AM
    This is one terrible piece of software. It's not "beta", it's more like "alpha". I would warn strongly before using it. I ran it and it deletes all appointments more than 2 weeks old (which is the longest period you can set it to), but then it sends out cancellation emails to everyone who was invited to the meeting.

It was quite embarrassing to have over 100 emails sent out to people in my company about the cancellation of a meeting that occurred 2 weeks ago!

Google needs to fix this piece of junk before I'll ever try it again.
    First of all you can set it to keep events for 4 weeks, but that is the maximum. You FAILED to change the setting from 2 to 4 weeks.

As far as the cancellation emails, again you FAILED to change that setting, which is NOT Google's fault, it is yours. I have never had a cancellation message sent out - WHY? Because I set that parameter appropriately! Don't blame Google for your failure. I am not saying the software is perfect, it is far from perfect, but if you are going to pick on it, at least make valid points????
    03-25-09 07:31 AM
    My bad...I did mean 4 weeks, I changed that setting from the default of 2 weeks. I have no idea what setting you are talking about that prevents sending of meeting cancellation emails. Where is this? And what does the setting say?
    Last edited by Dilbert; 03-25-09 at 10:33 AM.
    03-25-09 08:45 AM
    A lot of other people over in Google Support Forums have the exact same issue:

Blackberry Sends Cancellation Notice after Google Sync Removes Calendar Items - Google Mobile Help
    03-25-09 10:45 AM
    I've searched everywhere for a setting to prevent sending of cancellation emails.

Superduty1, you said you "set this parameter appropriately"...where ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-09 11:07 AM
    I have never had a cancellation message sent out - WHY? Because I set that parameter appropriately!
    Where did you find that parameter? I thought I really know my BB very well but such an option didn't cross my way...
    03-25-09 01:45 PM
    I don't think there is one...superduty1, are you sure your calendar events have invitees with mailing addresses? If not, then that is why you've "never had a cancellation message sent out" not because you "set that parameter appropriately!"....can you please let all us know about this parameter you know about but apparently no one else does.
    03-25-09 04:54 PM
    I think it's safe to say at this point that superduty1 is full of it. There is no parameter that he "set appropriately!"...I humbly accept your apology for your obnoxious comments superduty1.
    03-27-09 11:41 AM
    The blackberry (bis) syncing sucks in general, I'm really surpised they shipped the product like it is. With this 'email cancellation' bug, It's really pushed me over the edge. I'm afraid I'm going to have to go phone shopping.

It's sad really because I otherwise love my BB.
    04-09-09 04:02 PM
    I'm having this issue as well. But my problem is that synch process is also deleting my past calendar events on the server as well. So I am losing all calendar history past 4 weeks (this seems to be the longest option to keep past meetings in the sync options) which is unacceptable. Does anybody have a solution?
    04-13-09 08:30 PM
    Yes same problem here as well.... C'mon RIM & Blackberry fix this embarassing issue ASAP please!!
    01-23-10 02:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD