RIM co-CEO Jim Balsillie made some news today, mostly talking about enhanced revenue streams for those with content for cellphones. At the Cannes music festival, during the Midem conference lead sponsored by the BlackBerry manufacturer, Balsillie said that music on the 'Berry will surpass the sounds on the iPhone 3G. Saying that mobile music has gone up a notch to "music 2.0", he discussed how the music content providers had by necessity, regained control over their product to bring in more money. Balsillie said that the music industry would be unrecognizable in five years. The RIM executive also talked about the upcoming BlackBerry Application Center and how RIM was currently "ingesting" apps for a March opening at CTIA. He noted that there would be many music apps available and that the entire Center would be a place for developers to make some money from their offerings. Talking about apps and music, separate reports say that the long awaited Shazam application would be ready for BlackBerry devices in about two weeks. Shazam is a music identifier that allows your cellphone to identify a song and the artist after it "hears" a few snippets of a song.

source: mocoNews.net

RIM says BlackBerry moving music up a notch to 2.0 (Phone Arena)
    01-19-09 12:46 PM
    Can't wait for the Shazam app!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 12:56 PM
    Cant wait for the App center!
    01-19-09 12:57 PM
    Definitely good to hear some good news on this site for a change. Looking forward to it, thanks for the info!
    01-19-09 12:58 PM
    Yeah im waiting for the App Center also...but Shazam ready in 2 weeks? interesting
    01-19-09 01:01 PM
    That's great news! Now when are they going to release a new OS for the storm?
    01-19-09 01:11 PM
    Do you think that most of the apps we see with the iPhone will be made for the Storm? For example, the one where you shake the phone and it spits out restaurant suggestions.
    01-19-09 01:32 PM
    Cant wait for shazam.

I had a similar application on my previous phone and I miss it terribly
    01-19-09 01:35 PM
    NICE. I want Shazaam. I also want someone to make an app that will randomly pick a shot for me to have at the bar... may make weekends a little more interesting
    01-19-09 01:36 PM
    There are going t be a lot of iphone looka likes or even the same thing.. Just wait it out.. Iphone took its time getting all set up.. We will do the same thing

01-19-09 01:56 PM
    The only thing that worries me is that "it will let developers make some money" makes me think even the smallest apps you have to pay for.

01-19-09 02:11 PM
    but will it be possible to jailbreak the storm like the iphone?
    01-19-09 02:12 PM
    pretty excited about shazam...I know blackberry is coming in late in the app game...but, as far as apps go, I hope they can eventually lead their own path instead of just matching the iphone.
    01-19-09 02:14 PM
    This is exciting news... I can't wait for the Shazam app!
    01-19-09 02:42 PM
    Thank God. that's the only thing I like better about my old "dumbphone".....Music ID.

Could've REALLY used this thing last week when I was listening to a radio station in another state that had a playlist with lots of songs I had never heard.
    01-19-09 03:23 PM
    It good to finally hear some new news about what RIM is doing with the storm apps. This also shows that they are trying hard to get everything together for the target March release date. I can't wait for Shazam to be released in two weeks because that was one of the major features missing from making the storm even greater.

01-19-09 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD