I just got a Blackberry and am trying to sync all of my contacts. (I don't use Outlook.) I am using Google Calendar and Google Sync, but I don't want to just use Gmail's contacts as my contact management program. I want to be able to input information both on my computer and on my Blackberry. Any suggestions?
    01-14-09 08:16 AM
    What not use Outlook? That's the simplest, easiest, solution. BlackBerries were made for Outlook, literally. They synch perfectly.
    01-14-09 10:34 PM
    Use Yahoo and you can sync your contacts through DM. You can then manage them on your computer or your phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-09 10:43 PM
    I don't understand the final part of the OPost. If he's using Google Synch then he already has a solution that lets him enter contacts either on the BB or his PC. I do it all the time, and never use Outlook.
    01-15-09 06:37 AM
    Amen, Spinny.....
    01-15-09 06:50 AM
    Can Google Sync be customized to only update when you want, and to sync just contacts and not the calendar? I don't want to weigh down my bb with apps that run in the background unnecessarily.

I've also heard some nightmare stories about deleted contacts, duplicates, etc.

I guess it won't hurt to give it a try?
    01-15-09 08:04 AM
    It has an option to manually sync, as well as choosing either contacts, calendar or both.
    01-15-09 08:37 AM
    1. Google syncs with my Gmail contacts. For business purposes, that is not an effective program for managing contacts. It doesn't allow for enough info. I ran the sync once with my contacts and now I have multiples, addresses I don't want, etc. I do use it to sync my calendar.

2. My office doesn't use Outlook, so I can't use it.
    01-15-09 08:43 AM
    Hi thanks to spinney i have now moved my contacts to google, but i have said it before the bb contact management is really poor.

i had a sony ericcsson p990i in 2006 and i could completely customise the categories i had them split into professional, personal, clients,suppliers. and then subfolders inside each category.

I have it like this on my outlook but sync to bb and they all in one big lump, alphabetical but i have hundred of contacts so its a hassle.

the only app ive seen is contact manager pro which 25 dollars and says it only does 3 categories?

i hope i get on better with google.

john
    01-15-09 11:09 AM
    Yeah, the limitation is on the BB side. Google lets you organize your contacts into almost unlimited categories and is a very powerful tool. The BB contact app, not so much, alas: it happily ignores all the categories when you sync up. I don't know anything about the 3rd-party apps that can step in and take over, sorry.
    01-15-09 11:12 AM
    You can set your categories up in contacts. Open contacts and go to menu and filter. You can pull up whateve group you want.

01-15-09 11:16 AM
    I also use categories in Pocket Informant - which is an awesome calendar.

Welcome to WebIS.net - Pocket Informant BlackBerry

01-15-09 11:18 AM
    Hi Vndlewis
    I have looked at the filters before, but what i prefer is to have different address books completely.

Then say iam ordering stock i will have the suppliers folder open which is just ten numbers. If iam off the day just the personel address book for family and friends and so on.

also if my office puts new contacts on outlook (now google as well) when they sync will it fall into the filter groups

john
    01-16-09 03:15 AM
    Can't do it, clarko. Thanks to vndlewis I messed around with my contacts on BB last night and saw that you can indeed create any number (I presume) of arbitrary groups, and you can assign a single contact to be a member of multiple groups. To do what you want, you'd select the "suppliers" filter and then only those ten numbers would show up--once you've gone through your contacts and set up the groups.

The down side is Google Contacts doesn't recognize BB Contacts groups, and vice versa. Annoying.
    01-16-09 06:36 AM
    You may want to look into Agendus for BB. You can find it at Iambic.com. I use it with MS Outlook but under opitions you can select what and where to synch. You can download the full program and demo it for 30 days and if you like it you can buy it.

Last edited by tmac63; 01-16-09 at 09:50 AM.
    01-16-09 08:21 AM
    Any luck finding an addy book/ contact program that is
    working for you, clarko? Some other viable solution,
    perhaps? If so, plz share! I'm feeling your pain on this
    one....

Given all the amazing stuff the Bold is capable of, and
    finding so many awesome 3rd party apps for it, you'd
    think that RIM would provide a workable alternative to
    Outlook for those of us who need it. I've been using
    Google, but the group 'disconnect' thing is a bummer.

I love my new CB dearly, but this contact thing is a big
    disappointment, especially when you consider that it's
    one of the most important features of the device.

Pif ~ whose still hoping

Last edited by Epiphaneee; 03-31-09 at 04:13 PM.
    03-31-09 04:10 PM
    What not use Outlook? That's the simplest, easiest, solution. BlackBerries were made for Outlook, literally. They synch perfectly.
    Iam having a new bb storm 9500. Please guide me how to sync contacts from ms outlook and also how to lload the themes that I downloaded from the net.
    04-01-09 10:40 AM
    Any update on the groups / multiple lists syncing problems, i just got a bold and synced my contacts from our gmail apps, they all went into one monster list, what a mess, this will take days to sort out.... Also, i used the google sync to sync contacts / calendars, but now i can't ota sync my regular gmail? What is the answer to this. We don't use outlook at all, only google apps for work, and gmail for personal.
    07-07-09 02:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD