I have a local/regional carrier that will not add tethering plan to my existing 3GB Plan without adding their new plan of unlimited while in home area and 50MB out of home area which is gay.

My question

What will I need to tether to my laptop and will I incur any extra fees even if I dont' go over the 3GB
    04-23-10 09:35 AM
    My recommendation would be to purchase Tether (Tether BlackBerry | BlackBerry Modem | Tether). They occasionally have sales for up to half-off. But it depends on your timeframe on whether you'll be able to catch it on sale, which I don't think it is right now.
    04-23-10 09:59 AM
    I am only going out of town for the weekend so I could use the free trial - Yes?
    04-23-10 10:04 AM
    It may or may not be a violation of your terms of service if you UNOFFICIALLY tether. They may or may not be able to track your usage, particularly if you amp up the usage prior to trying to tether. In other words, if you suddenly increase your data usage, they may notice that. But if you, say, legitmately start using lots of data NOW before trying to tether they might not track any change in usage. It is up to you as to whether to take a chance or not or possibly violate your contract or pursue "illegal" activities (theft of service, possibly). A lot of this is discussed on threads pertaining to Verizon which has a separate tether option ($$$$$$$).

Tether.com has software that works really well. There are folks that can use Desktop Manager but I don't know how that works.
    04-23-10 10:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD