Hi all,

I'm studying abroad in South Africa for 4 months this summer, and it's not exactly the most technical place in the world.

I've found a SIM card that will allow me to have unlimited incoming calls/texts with outgoing international calls at an okay price. But outgoing texts are $0.60 per message. Considering I send about 4,000 a month... this isn't going to work.

Data usage is $1.52 / 100kb.

BBM is cheap, I think, so I'll use that as much as possible. But for non-Blackberry friends, does anyone know of any third-party applications that can essentially give me a very light free messaging program that gives me a fake phone number or something that my friends can text and then it will load as message through data on my phone? This way I can bypass SMS charges.

I don't mind paying a bit extra for the fake phone number, just as long as the messages to/from are free.
    05-19-10 09:40 AM
    If you had T-Mobile, you could use UMA (incoming texts are out of your text package) and send them back when you're over WiFi. And if you're studying there for a few months, then you should be surrounded by WiFi.
    05-19-10 09:57 AM
    Hi all,

I'm studying abroad in South Africa for 4 months this summer, and it's not exactly the most technical place in the world.

I've found a SIM card that will allow me to have unlimited incoming calls/texts with outgoing international calls at an okay price. But outgoing texts are $0.60 per message. Considering I send about 4,000 a month... this isn't going to work.

Data usage is $1.52 / 100kb.

BBM is cheap, I think, so I'll use that as much as possible. But for non-Blackberry friends, does anyone know of any third-party applications that can essentially give me a very light free messaging program that gives me a fake phone number or something that my friends can text and then it will load as message through data on my phone? This way I can bypass SMS charges.

I don't mind paying a bit extra for the fake phone number, just as long as the messages to/from are free.
    Are you sure it's South Africa you visiting? Those prices appear exorbitant to me, I live here, and data rates are the equivalent of $0.26 per MB on prepaid and a lot cheaper if you purchase data bundles. However, if you're planning to use a BB device, which I believe you are since you mentioned BBM, then full access to BIS costs the equivalent of $7.99 a month on prepaid with unlimited internet data use.... As for SMS's again check the figures, as far as I know, international SMS's are about $0.16 each.

I've used, in the past, "SMS" apps, that uses the data network, but to be honest they were all cr@p, maybe someone here can assist with that.....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-19-10 10:36 AM
    You might want to investigate using Verizon's GLOBAL plan. It is $65/month but replaces your current $30/month BIS. So, in effect, it is an extra $35/month. The data is UNLIMITED at that price. So you could get all of your texting and texting friends to use email (data) you would be doing much better. For another $5/month you get a reduced price per minute - still not cheap but cheaper (you'd have to check for South Africa).
    05-19-10 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD