What do you guys use? Gmail app or bis push? I currently have both set up but I'd like to use only one. Both have pros and cons...thoughts??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-08 01:33 AM
    I have never used the app for gmail but I have push set up and I always get my msgs b4 they even show up in my inbox on the computer

07-21-08 01:42 AM
    I used BIS push when I used a GMail account and had no issues at all.

07-21-08 01:44 AM
    Push. Anytime I have tried to test it I get the message within 10 seconds.

07-21-08 02:08 AM
    Push has always been great for me. Tested once and it took less than 5 seconds for my BB to receive the email!
    07-21-08 02:22 AM
    I used BIS push when I used a GMail account and had no issues at all.
    i use push as well.. i like to keep as little apps as possible>
    07-21-08 02:29 AM
    Push. Its just as fast as the Gmail app.

07-21-08 02:31 AM
    Push. It's one less app taking up space.
    07-21-08 02:45 AM
    I use Gmail App!

It works great for me.
    07-21-08 03:00 AM
    PUSH........I am extremely happy with this set up........plus I just hide the actual GMAIL icon and outta sight = outta mind.
    07-21-08 03:49 AM
    What do you guys use? Gmail app or bis push?
    Both and why not have both?

I read incoming mail through the BIS push. But what about archieved email? That business proposal that the important client sent you a month ago. Well that's going to be in your Gmail files.

I use the Gmail app all the time. It really is a fine program. I wouldn't rely on it to notify me of new email because I do not find that it is anywhere as near as fast as Push email. And don't forget that you have to leave the Gmail app open and running in the background for the new incoming Gmail notifications to sound off.

But it still serves a necessary purpose insofar as archieval emails are concerned so I think it's important to keep it on my BB.
    07-21-08 04:15 AM
    Both and why not have both?

I read incoming mail through the BIS push. But what about archieved email? That business proposal that the important client sent you a month ago. Well that's going to be in your Gmail files.

I use the Gmail app all the time. It really is a fine program. I wouldn't rely on it to notify me of new email because I do not find that it is anywhere as near as fast as Push email. And don't forget that you have to leave the Gmail app open and running in the background for the new incoming Gmail notifications to sound off.

But it still serves a necessary purpose insofar as archievial emails are concerned so I think it's important to keep it on my BB.
    Great points........I have not had the need to retrieve archived emails - I just wait until I hit my laptop........BUT you brought up a great point.......
    07-21-08 04:18 AM
    You can also just go to m.gmail.com to access your archived email. It's essentially the same thing but if you don't want to use it, you don't have to go through the whole uninstall/reboot process.

Just tried the Gmail software and I prefer push since accessing gmail from the BB browser is just as fast as using the app.
    07-21-08 04:36 AM
    Bis push

But I have gmail app installed for archive and contacts. A just in case thing.

07-21-08 05:39 AM
    Another vote for PUSH...

07-21-08 05:40 AM
    Push for me too!

07-21-08 05:56 AM
    I use push, but I have the app loaded as well. I use the app for reading emails in html format, but I use push so that I can get email notifications instantly.
    07-21-08 06:02 AM
    Push. And do people really use Gmail for "important business proposals?" How secure is that?
    07-21-08 07:02 AM
    Bis push for me.
    07-21-08 07:06 AM
    App.
    I like to keep my personal and work email separate, so the BES messages go to the email message list, and Gmail goes in the app. Since it's not critical that I'm notified as soon as a message comes into Gmail, I just hit refresh on the inbox to ensure it's up to date. I have the notifications for Gmail turned off, as well.

I find the features of the app very usfeful. Contacts, Conversations, Archives, Labels are all the reasons Gmail works so well, and here it is on the BB. With the app on my BB, I only go to Gmail on my PC to get attachments.
    This is the biggest downside...I can't save attachments. To get around this, I forward messages to my other account if I really want see/hear the attachment. Can messages from the BIS service download and save attachments?

If it were just for pushing new mail to the BB, then it could be any webmail service.
    07-21-08 08:04 AM
    what is bis push? Where can i get it?
    07-21-08 08:20 AM
    what is bis push? Where can i get it?
    BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) is what you have through Rogers if your BlackBerry isn't connected to a corporate BlackBerry Enterprise Server (BES). This would be your BB data plan and e-mail gets sent (pushed) directly to your BlackBerry without you having to actively go download it.

If you get mail sent directly to your BlackBerry, you already have it.
    07-21-08 09:35 AM
    Vote for the BIS push. If you're just using personal email it's all you really need. I think if I had a business and a personal email that I would probably use the App...but as it is all my emails from all 4 of my email addresses end up in my Gmail inbox and I see no need to change it.

Although I must say I much prefer IMAP gmail push to Pop3 (which is what the default setup is)
    07-21-08 09:55 AM
    I currently use push myself. The problem that I have with gmail on push is the annoying issue of getting sent a copy of any message you send out. While this works great for tracking conversations using gmail in a regular browser, it just creates one more thing I have to delete on my BB. Unless of course somebody knows a way to stop that from happening...

07-21-08 10:19 AM
    I currently use push myself. The problem that I have with gmail on push is the annoying issue of getting sent a copy of any message you send out. While this works great for tracking conversations using gmail in a regular browser, it just creates one more thing I have to delete on my BB. Unless of course somebody knows a way to stop that from happening...

Search the forums. You're answer is posted there! Basically you have to create a filter on the BIS page. But like I said, detailed instructions are found in the forums if you just search!
    07-21-08 11:04 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD