I recently installed Google Apps on my 8800. It contains Google News, Search, Maps, and GMAIL. On two separate occasions I've received notification that GMAIL is trying to access my phone logs. Is there any reason why GMAIL would be trying to access my phone logs? If I deny access i receive an error. More importantly why is GMAIL trying to access my phone logs?
    05-25-07 12:12 PM
    Maybe it's really looking at contact info, but since you may have 'contacts' in your logs (from them calling you), it needs to 'look' there, too.

Of course, just my opinion...
    05-25-07 12:18 PM
    It is possible that is the case, but as I understand GMAIL on a BB, it is basically a small app that is downloaded to the device. All contact info is stored online in my GMAIL account and is accessed as I compose emails.
    05-25-07 12:22 PM
    Hmm, good point.

But, let me ask this, were you just asking because you're curious, or is it causing an issue?
    05-25-07 01:31 PM
    It caused an isssue. I was dialing out, and it froze a digit and the key tone would not stop until I pulled out the battery. I've since removed the application and the issue has gone away. Still curious as to why GMAIL would be accessing my phone logs. I'll contact Google and try and find an answer. If I come up with one, I'll let you know.
    05-25-07 07:42 PM
    I had the same issue. It would look for call logs and freeze the device. I uninstalled and reinstalled it using the mobile link on gmails website and it hasn't happened since.
    06-01-07 10:38 AM
    Ah, brilliant info! Might be something to do with the install, and how it's done, i.e. over the air (OTA). I always prefere OTA installs...
    06-01-07 10:52 AM
    me too. It just seems to cause less problems.
    06-01-07 11:33 AM
    Thanks for the information. I'll give it a shot.
    06-02-07 12:02 PM
    Did you send a link to your device by entering your phone number on the gmail mobile site or did you access it via your mobile browser and click on the link? I tried to install it via the email that came to my 8300 device, and encountered a similar issue to the one I experienced on the 8800. If there is another alternative, and I am missing it, please let me know.

Thank you in advance.
    06-03-07 12:59 AM
    Uninstall the present install, and make sure no 'modules' for GMail are left (options / advanced options / applications / menu / modules). Now pull the battery, and put it back in...

Now try the install, OTA...
    06-03-07 06:40 AM
    Same problem - although I used the OTA link. Kept raising uncaught exceptions in the software & my battery life plummeted. Have now uninstalled it!
    07-13-07 02:15 PM
    your battery life will change if the App is runnin at all times. If it is that big of a deal youc an sign out after reading your email so it does not run/update in real time on the device.
    07-13-07 02:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD