Pre-newbie with a question, a couple actually.

I've tried reading old threads but frankly found them either so old that I doubt they apply any longer, or confusing to a newbie! So here goes, hopefully this is not repetitive.

I had pretty much decided to get a 9650 (Sprint) when I'm up for an upgrade at the end of July. This will be my first smart phone.

I am a Google girl, I use Gmail, Google Calendar, etc. I am not a corporate user, just an individual looking for a work horse of a phone. (Physical keyboard, good email handling, etc.) However, given what I've read recently I'm concerned that the BB won't work well with Gmail.

I've seen numerous threads and blog posts lamenting lack of synching between BB and gmail. The solution offered seems to be something for google apps that only works with a BES server (again, I'm not corporate, I don't have one). The Google Sync (Google Sync for your phone) app listed elsewhere seems to work for the calendar but NOT gmail on a blackberry.

I need Gmail and Google Calendar to sync two ways. If I read on my BB or computer it needs to be marked as read on both, if I archive, send, etc. They need to be identical. Same for the calendar. If I add one place, needs to show on both.

Will/can a BB do this?

I've seen suggestions saying to find some other email provider, not an option. I actually LOVE the way Gmail handles email. I am really hoping that this is all an old issue that's been cleared up, the 9650 seems perfect for me otherwise, I would really hate to have to start researching phones again.
    07-02-10 11:36 AM
    The issue HAS been resolved with a recent upgrade of the RIM servers and the latest version of the BIS software (BIS is the email/web/etc server, for the personal accounts that works similar to the BES servers that companies use, for us regular non business folks). Gmail sync is ALMOST perfect now, it's not quite reat time, but it's close. Mail come to your device in real time, but the 2 way sync is not real time, BUT it is fast, so when you read stuff on the web it gets marked as read on your device etc.
    07-02-10 11:51 AM
    Thank you! That's what I needed to know. Is this using the Gmail app, or the built in email application? (Was never clear in threads I was reading what people were using).

I don't mind if it isn't instantaneous, after all, if I'm reading email on my phone it means I'm not near my computer, so long as it DOES sync. BIS, thanks, that was another confusion that never seemed to get fully explained.
    07-02-10 11:54 AM
    That is using the built in email, not sure what extra the gmail app and the google sync app brings you, others who use them can answer that. I just use regular mail.
    07-02-10 12:02 PM
    Why not Android? I am just curious. BBs are great phones but there are good handsets on Android too. Once OS6 comes out the only advantages Android will have are apps and a touchscreen but it also includes better Googe integration, which is why I suggested it. But the keyboard, battery life, and quality of calls are great on BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-10 12:04 PM
    i still have quite a long sync delay between the web and my 9550 handheld. it seems like if i mark a message as read on the web, it will only sync the next time i receive an email. if i send a message from the web, however, it will show up very quickly as sent on my handheld. it is much better than it used to be, but the delays kill me. is there anything i can try to help fix this?
    07-02-10 12:14 PM
    Why not Android? I am just curious. BBs are great phones but there are good handsets on Android too. Once OS6 comes out the only advantages Android will have are apps and a touchscreen but it also includes better Googe integration, which is why I suggested it. But the keyboard, battery life, and quality of calls are great on BB.
    I've yet to find an android phone that seems to hit all my "must haves" as well as a BB (with the obvious exception of google integration).

Must have:
    1. Physical keyboard (I HATE touch screen keyboards, have tried them, hate them.)
    2. At least of day of battery life with moderate use. (Reviews and experience from friends tells me most android devices really need a midday charge, not an option.)
    3. Don't give a fig about browsing. Just want great email, scheduling (though Google in my case.)
    4. Sprint. (Call me cheap, but I refuse to pay more than $69 a month for unlimited data/texting and 450 minutes.)

Sprint doesn't really have a great deal of choice on Android phones. Their Androids tend to not have physical keyboards, and the ones that do (Like the Moment) have reviews that leave me less than impressed.

Hence the 9650, that seems to nail everything I'm looking for, though it might not have AS GOOD integration with google services as Android.

I'm open to suggestions, have a month left to look.

(May also try the advanced gmail app instead of built in email, it is possible it has tighter sync?)
    Last edited by tandaina; 07-02-10 at 01:42 PM.
    07-02-10 01:38 PM
    Have you tried Swype? It's sweet. And yes the Gmail app works just fine. Between that and BIS you have all you need.
    07-02-10 01:44 PM
    I expanded the title to try to draw some more help to the thread. I don't use Google sync, but I KNOW some of our members do, and would be more than glad to share their expierence. We just got to grab their attention.

GET IN HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    07-02-10 01:48 PM
    Gmail added to your BIS will sync both ways.

Google Sync can sync contacts both ways - I don't use it

Google Sync for calendar with Gmail calendar will sync when something is added or removed... You can also link other Gmail calendars.
    07-02-10 02:06 PM
    I've tried the iPhone and my friend's android phone (Droid Incredible). The android touch screen typing was definitely better than the iPhone, but neither were what I'd consider comfortable.
    07-02-10 02:15 PM
    Thanks yester, helpful information there.
    07-02-10 03:17 PM
    NP

I would recommend reading thru the google sync setup and trouble shooting before setting it up.

I love google sync with calendars works very well and real time (if selected)

Google Sync - Google Mobile Help
    07-02-10 03:26 PM
    I use gmail for both my private account and for my office account, the latter using google apps premium. Here iss a brief summary of my experience.

1. Gmail. It pushes immediately. Items read or deleted on the phone are immediately marked read or deleted on gmail. Items read or deleted on gmail are marked as read or deleted on the phone, though after a significant delay. There is no accesss to the "folder" structure per se, but the gmail enhanced plugin allows searches for older items that are only on the server. The plugin also allows you to add and remove labels, stars, etc. It's not as slick as gmail's integration with Android, but it works well enough.

2. Google sync calendar. It works very well for me. You must make certain that the calendar you are synchronizing with is set as the default calendar on the phone and never, ever synchronize with anything else. Ssome have apparently had problems with it, but it hass worked very well. A word of warning, however. Calendar items added on the blackberry will show us as "public" on your gmail calendar unless you intentionally mark it private.

3. Google sync contacts. Since the upgrade of BIS to 3.0, BIS can be set to automatically sync your contacts with Gmail. I have continued to use google sync because I am comfortable with how it works. I sometimes get a duplicate contact, usually when I experiment with Outlook, but Google's pushbutton duplicate merging facility is so good I don't worry about it.

07-02-10 05:51 PM
    I still don't get real 2-way sync with my Gmail account via BIS. Drives me crazy. Seems like if I delete an email on my berry, that does delete it from the web, but not the other way around. If I read messages on either side, it's not reflected as read on the other side. Really gets annoying when I go and read/delete email on the web, come back to my berry and the messages are still showing as unread hours later. What's the point?

I don't know else needs to be setup here. Do I need to delete and re-add my gmail account in BIS? Something else not turned on? Full, 2-way sync of read, deleted and archived messages is what I'm really looking for here.
    07-02-10 11:33 PM
    GMail sync (web to BB) does take time, usually 6-12 hours. Try it out on a test message and see if that message works. Last night I had one that I deleted on the web but not on the bb and when I woke up, it was gone from the BB.

The only option you can check for in BIS is the Sync checkbox for deleted items. If that is checked, you're good.

The GMail Enhanced plug-in allows for archiving and starring messages from the BB, which is pretty much instant. To use the enhanced plug in, you will need to use the actual Gmail icon (not the all messages icon) and may need to delete/add gmail from BIS. This plug in doesn't make syncing any faster...

I have also used Google Sync for a while. I sync contacts & calendar and since making my Gmail account the default for calendar & email, I have had no issues.

I tried the BIS contact sync, and it really jacked up my address book. I had to restore from backup.
    07-04-10 11:07 AM
    NP

I would recommend reading thru the google sync setup and trouble shooting before setting it up.

I love google sync with calendars works very well and real time (if selected)

Google Sync - Google Mobile Help
    In real time? I only see manual or automatic, which is every two hours
    07-24-10 10:55 AM
    I wasn't sure if the BIS Gmail syn has been finalized. Is it now working?
    I went into my BIS Email Account settings and activated the Contact Sync with my Gmail account. So far I do not have any contacts showing on my Gmail online account that have synced over from my BlackBerry.
    How long does this usually takes?

I'm hoping this works better than the actual Gmail Sync App. I've never had much success with that app. It would constantly create duplicates. I would start off with 700 contacts, and end up with over 1,400.
    After getting my address book by to it's proper state, I have since deleted the app.
    07-25-10 01:53 PM
    Even with all of it's Google features, Android is lacking when it comes to notifications. Although it's leagues ahead of the iPhone, BB still has the best notification system.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Last edited by redwanhuq; 07-26-10 at 09:32 AM.
    07-25-10 03:01 PM
    Have a question. Please forgive my current state of confusion, I have spent all morning jockeying between calendars & contacts removing remnants of duplicate appointments & triplicate contacts. (Long story to do with a CICAL mess on prior Tour I needed to get cleaned up on Bold.)

I use Outlook & Gmail sync strictly as a backup for my Berry. 99% of the time any new calendar, task or contact entries/edits/deletions are done on my BB, not on my computer. So I sync BB -> Outlook, then Outlook -> Gmail using my computer.

So here's my question: I've never done direct sync from BB to Google. Right now my "@vzw.blackberry.net" email account is my Default Service for CICAL on my Bold. If I direct sync from BB>Google I'm concluding that won't work, I'll have to set my "@gmail.com" account for CICAL? And if I do that, I'm going to have a jumbled up mess of multiple calendar + contract entries?

Is there a painless, organized way to do BB>Google sync & avoid that mess?
    08-08-10 09:56 AM
    Have a question. Please forgive my current state of confusion, I have spent all morning jockeying between calendars & contacts removing remnants of duplicate appointments & triplicate contacts. (Long story to do with a CICAL mess on prior Tour I needed to get cleaned up on Bold.)

I use Outlook & Gmail sync strictly as a backup for my Berry. 99% of the time any new calendar, task or contact entries/edits/deletions are done on my BB, not on my computer. So I sync BB -> Outlook, then Outlook -> Gmail using my computer.

So here's my question: I've never done direct sync from BB to Google. Right now my "@vzw.blackberry.net" email account is my Default Service for CICAL on my Bold. If I direct sync from BB>Google I'm concluding that won't work, I'll have to set my "@gmail.com" account for CICAL? And if I do that, I'm going to have a jumbled up mess of multiple calendar + contract entries?

Is there a painless, organized way to do BB>Google sync & avoid that mess?
    Google sync always seems to mess up my contacts list with duplicates. If I need my contacts in my online GMail account, I do the following:

BlackBerry to Outlook sync > Export contacts from Outlook as CSV file > Import CSV file into my online GMail account.

08-08-10 10:01 AM
    I am so confused. I want to put my Blackberry Calendar onto my gmail account so I can see my calendar without staring at my BB all day when I'm at the computer. I use Google Sync and it does not pull things from my BB to the gmail. I don't understand what Im doing wrong. Please help. I need a more comprehensive view of my calendar when setting appointments.
    09-20-10 10:32 PM
    I would of figured after all this time, that sync from the web to the device would be quicker. Still takes a day, blah.
    09-22-10 10:15 PM
    I'm interested in trying "wireless" syncing with my gmail account using either google sync or BIS. Currently, I'm syncing with my computer (connected) with MS Outlook for my contacts and calendars - which works very well and accurately (no duplicate contacts / calendar entries etc...)

Question: will BIS or Google Sync also sync "Contact Pictures"?? If I have a picture set for a contact on my BB or on my Gmail Contact (computer), will the picture sync both ways??

Thanks
    09-23-10 07:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD