There are so many scattered threads on this I wanted to see if we could get some feedback in one place...

What's the consensus on POP vs IMAP ? I'm using the GMAIL app now but want to use one of the other options so can integrate with my contacts without having to use gmail contacts...

Fire away!
    06-05-08 04:31 PM
    pop. it will push through in about 5-20 seconds. sometimes instantly
    06-05-08 04:39 PM
    I also use Pop. I had it as Imap, but Verizon recommends Pop. Mine syncs with my Gmail and I receive almost instantly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-05-08 04:52 PM
    Yeah, you'll get your email instantly with POP, but what the **** good is that if it doesn't sync up with your account as far as deleted items, sent items, etc.? That's just not efficient....
    06-05-08 05:32 PM
    Used to use POP (was hit and miss for me - certainly not instant as some users state above). However, switched to IMAP when the new BIS server software was introduced. IMAP, for me, is instant and deletes item on Server (if/when desired).
    06-05-08 05:38 PM
    I'm not using the app and having problems with the messages syncing up. I delete/read messages on my phone and they aren't deleted/unread when I loggin into my gmail accout. So I manually go through and delete, etc. I don't have this problem with my Yahoo email. It's kind of frustrating.
    06-05-08 06:40 PM
    I started to use IMAP again. I just like the fact I don't have to go back into GMail to clean up all the junk email and mark things as read
    06-06-08 07:21 AM
    Used to use POP (was hit and miss for me - certainly not instant as some users state above). However, switched to IMAP when the new BIS server software was introduced. IMAP, for me, is instant and deletes item on Server (if/when desired).
    How did you get it to be instant, or do you actually know for sure that it IS instant? It almost seems like it goes out and checks for new mail every 10 or 15 minutes. If somebody happened to send you a new email a few seconds before it was going to go out and check anyway, it would deliver that email instantly and you would therefore think all is well.

Also, how long does it take to sync back to your phone when you delete an email from gmail.com or Outlook using Gmail's servers? I've found that it can take hours. It also never marks things as read going back this direction. The other way, however, is fast- where if I read or delete something on the BB, it is instant sync with the server and therefore Outlook and gmail.com.
    06-06-08 02:03 PM
    IMAP is a lot better than POP3. IMAP is more secure, syncs with the google server better and in my opinion and experience, doesnt give me as much of a headache as POP3
    06-08-08 10:44 AM
    any updates with this from anyone?
    06-10-08 08:30 AM
    Is your IMAP email coming instant/push or with a big delay?

IMAP is a lot better than POP3. IMAP is more secure, syncs with the google server better and in my opinion and experience, doesnt give me as much of a headache as POP3
    06-10-08 08:30 AM
    How do you switch from one to the other?

Jason
    06-10-08 08:41 AM
    How do you switch from one to the other?

Jason
    I second this question. I'm not typically a blackberry/tech **** but for the life of me I can't figure out where to switch IMAP/POP. Is it in the BIS settings and if so where? Thanks.
    06-10-08 03:00 PM
    say i just put in my password and username into the blackberry setup. what would that be, pop or imap?
    06-10-08 03:07 PM
    Well it is beneficial to understand the differences between IMAP and POP to begin with... then you can make a decision based on what you will need.

If you receive a lot of email, then I would recommend IMAP because it syncs your changes...

If you use POP you may get your mail quicker, but in the end it is a pain because your GMail account will still have all of the old messages on the server.

Use IMAP if you want it to sync with your account on the GMail server.

Use POP if you just wanna be able to see the message quick and you don't care if the copy on the server is touched at all
    06-10-08 03:10 PM
    Well it is beneficial to understand the differences between IMAP and POP to begin with... then you can make a decision based on what you will need.

If you receive a lot of email, then I would recommend IMAP because it syncs your changes...

If you use POP you may get your mail quicker, but in the end it is a pain because your GMail account will still have all of the old messages on the server.

Use IMAP if you want it to sync with your account on the GMail server.

Use POP if you just wanna be able to see the message quick and you don't care if the copy on the server is touched at all
    right....understand all that. now how do we switch it? beuller?
    06-10-08 03:43 PM
    I'm guessing if you have it set up one way lets say POP, you'll need to go in and delete that account in bis, then from what i've read it wouldn't hurt to pull the battery and restart. Then go into gmail settings and change to IMAP and save changes, THEN go into bis and setup account with IMAP instructions.

I think a big key is having it setup pop or imap in gmail settings BEFORE you setup the account in BIS. It seems when you set it up in BIS it goes out and configures it with gmail ---

I'm going to add an experience in another post so it won't get mixed in with this question to add to this ...

06-10-08 04:09 PM
    I just set mine up with POP. I set my gmail settings to pop enabled and then saved changes. Then went to BIS and added an account. BIS asked me if I wanted to synchronize deleted messages between my device and the account and I chose yes (had to go into "Edit" the account to find this).

Gmail also has settings under the POP to either --
    1 - keep my copy in the inbox
    2 - archive my copy
    3 - or delete my copy
    -- if pulled via pop 3 -

I just sent myself a test message to my mail - got it before my laptop did and then when I deleted on my bb it asked me if wanted to delete on handheld only or on mailbox and handheld. I chose both and when i went to my gmail on computer it was gone...

Now I will add that one message that I read on my bb was still showing as unread on my gmail on my computer but I can live with that....
    06-10-08 04:15 PM
    Can you have IMAP and POP enabled at the same time?
    06-13-08 08:27 AM
    probably "can" , but wouldn't advise it...

06-13-08 11:11 AM
    he passed out at 31 Flavors last night.

as far as switching .......

gmail account
    Settings (next to your email address at the very top of the page)
    click on the Forwarding and POP/IMAP wording/tab
    then make the changes
    06-13-08 11:30 AM
    You can have both POP and IMAP enabled at the same time, nothing wrong with it. I've had both enabled since IMAP became available.
    06-13-08 12:38 PM
    I've got them both enabled at the same time, too. No issues here, really, at least that I can tell.

**edit** except that I just got 5 emails in a row from 8, 8, 10, 10:20, and 10:22 not long ago...

I've been experiencing weird delays with getting my gmail pushed to my phone these past few days, as has a friend of mine on AT&T.
    Last edited by km2783; 06-13-08 at 12:43 PM. Reason: gmail wackiness
    06-13-08 12:39 PM
    I've got them both enabled at the same time, too. No issues here, really, at least that I can tell.

**edit** except that I just got 5 emails in a row from 8, 8, 10, 10:20, and 10:22 not long ago...

I've been experiencing weird delays with getting my gmail pushed to my phone these past few days, as has a friend of mine on AT&T.
    Are you using IMAP on your BB or POP? I believe IMAP gmail doesn't push to the BB as fast as POP.
    06-13-08 12:45 PM
    As I said, both, but I've never had this problem until recently and I even tried shutting off IMAP and it didn't seem to do anything.
    06-13-08 01:11 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD