I installed Google's Mobile App earlier today, which included Search, Reader, News, Gmail and other programs in Google's suite.

My question is, can someone explain the similarity/difference between the Gmail functionality through that vs what you get if you install the Enhanced Gmail Plugin I've read about in other threads here and on RIM's site?

Is there anything *more* you get with the Enhanced Plugin? Does it work through BIS vs. web-based - which appears to be how Gmail's running now on my machine currently (and lightning quick I should add)?

Just wondering if I should stick with what I have or consider the Plugin option.

Thanks.
    09-07-09 08:39 PM
    the plug in is automatic, while the web based you have to load up to use.

The plugin does not work in the Messages app though, unfortunately. You have to use it through your e-mail app. It gives you the option of calling something spam etc

I want to know why you cant download attachments via the gmail google app. You can load stuff up and look at it..but you cant download anything...
    09-07-09 10:18 PM
    I installed Google's Mobile App earlier today, which included Search, Reader, News, Gmail and other programs in Google's suite.

My question is, can someone explain the similarity/difference between the Gmail functionality through that vs what you get if you install the Enhanced Gmail Plugin I've read about in other threads here and on RIM's site?

Is there anything *more* you get with the Enhanced Plugin? Does it work through BIS vs. web-based - which appears to be how Gmail's running now on my machine currently (and lightning quick I should add)?

Just wondering if I should stick with what I have or consider the Plugin option.

Thanks.
    The plug-in works through BIS, so messages get pushed to you. The plug-in allows you to archive, remote search (haven't tried this yet), and label. It also provides a "sketchy" conversation view. By sketchy, I mean it sometimes does not display messages you send out via the plug-in. The plug-in still does not allow for two-way syncing between BIS and Gmail.

The Gmail app does not push and must be kept open to receive messages. Messages generally arrive anywhere between 5 minutes and 30 minutes. It does, however, provide two-way syncing between the BB and Gmail. You are able to access labels on the Gmail app, but you can't apply labels to messages. As kg mentioned above, you cannot download certain attachments and you cannot attach anything to your messages. You cannot copy texts either.

There may be some more info that others can add, but that's what I remember off the top of my head. Personally, I use the plug-in because of pushed messages and the fact that I can inject them into ToDoMatrix.

Thanks for reading.
    09-08-09 10:35 AM
    I used to use the Gmail app before the plug-in came out because of the syncing and to keep it separate from my BES email. It worked great except for a few little things:

- No HTML email
    - Links did not always appear
    - Can't DL attachments
    - Facebook notifications disabled (my FB is linked to my gmail account)

I have since switched to the Gmail Plug-in. It fixes all of the problems that I had with the app. The only thing I don't like is that my Gmail and BES mail are still all lumped together in Messages. This could be resolved on the BES Server side, but would affect ALL users, so not really an option. Or, I could purchase Empower BES Mailbox.

For now, I've gotten used to just organizing my mail as it comes in. If it ever gets to the point where I can't keep up, I'll just purchase the Empower app.
    09-08-09 10:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD