I have the facebook app v1.6 running on my bold and have gmail setup with the latest BIS. The emails from facebook for notifications don't get sent to my blackberry. Does it know a have facebook app and filters out these emails? Is this configurable?

Thx in advance.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-10-09 09:44 AM
    Do the e-mails that facebook sends alerting you to an update get sent to the gmail account that you have setup on your Bold? Make sure that the two e-mail addresses correspond and that should fix your problem.

If the addresses are the same, are you just not getting facebook e-mails sent to your Bold, or are you not recieving all e-mails. Do you have your facebook setup to e-mail you notifications?
    08-10-09 10:54 AM
    The email setup on my berry and the email I use for facebook are the same. I get all my non facebook email to the device. I get facebook email to my gmail account on the web, goes to the inbox. If I log in using the gmail mobile app its there too.

Anyone else have this happen?

08-10-09 10:59 AM
    Your gmail account has to be set up on your blackberry as an e-mail account. It uses the push notification, so just using the Gmail app alone won't work. Log into the BIS site and add the gmail address to your account. Then facebook emails should come through as notifications properly.
    08-10-09 11:40 AM
    sorry for the confusion. i have gmail setup with BIS and i get email pushed to the device. i have a [email protected] icon on my home screen. i get all my non-facebook email to the device thru BIS.

i mentioned the gmail app as a side note to say that if i log in thru it i can see my facebook notification emails just like i see them when logging in on my PC.

yesterday i wan't logged into facebook on my bold. i have email in my device (BIS) inbox. my device inbox and web gmail inbox are identical. then last night i logged in on my berry to facebook and haven't logged out.

woke up this morning and had a bunch of new facebook notifications on the berry. no email in my inbox. got to work and opened my gmail and there was 20 emails from facebook.

so initial i though my gmail wasn't working anymore, sent a test email from my work account to my gmail and it came thru right away. i thru the morning have been getting email fine. if i compare my berry side-by-side with my gmail inbox, the only thing missing is the facebook emails.

not that i'm complaining, nice not getting emails and facebook notifications for the same event. saves me marking emails as read. but i just want to make sure this is a feature and not that my Gmail BIS isn't working correctly. don't want to miss other emails.
    08-10-09 12:32 PM
    Open the FB app on the device >Hit Menu >Options >Put a check mark by leave on messages server. Then log into FB using a computer, when your page loads, in the right hand corner, click on "Settings", then "Notifications" Set up what you want to be notified for and save changes at the bottom of the page...
    08-10-09 12:34 PM
    I'm pretty sure that is a feature of the Facebook app, berrydeck. When I had FB installed on my Curve I would get notifications for FB through the app, but not in email on my device. I've since deleted the app and now get my FB notifications pushed to my device as email.

So basically, if you receive an email from FB your BIS pushes it to your device as a FB app notification instead of an email.
    08-10-09 01:05 PM
    That's because you did not have the Messages Server option checked off in the FB application. I have the FB app installed on my device, when I get a notification, it's in my "Messages" icon, and on the FB app. I just open the notification in the "Messages" folder, because it takes you directly to the application...
    08-10-09 01:09 PM
    The BB is a smartphone. What happens is, the notification does get sent to your email, but the bb combined with the FB Application filters the notification out of your bb inbox and shows it in the FB app instead.

Edit: This is normal and no way to stop it from filtering.

08-10-09 01:48 PM
    @SD:

Yes, mine was set up the same as yours. It showed up in my Messages as a FB notification. It didn't show up in my individual email folders, though, which is what the OP was asking about.
    08-10-09 02:02 PM
    Ok thanks all. Wanted to make sure its supposed to do it and that my BIS works fine.

08-10-09 04:30 PM
    Ok, I have done some reading and I am 99% sure I understand all of this noise. Basically, the FB app "pulls" the email notification from BB email (gmail, in my case) and "puts" it into the BB FB app. IF "connect with bb message app" is selected, then the FB notifications will show up in the overall message folder. One question: there is no way to have the FB notification email show up in the BB email folder, right? I don't mind getting two notifications. I have "leave copy on mail server" selected, but I think that just leaves it GMail PC.
    08-14-09 10:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD