Hi everyone,

Former Treo guy, New VZW Curve owner. I LOVE this thing. These boards are great, thanks already for all the great advice.

I have one question which I'm not sure if BB can do or not?? I've recently setup gmail filters to direct a lot of my incoming messages to certain labels and auto-archive them so I don't have to see them in my inbox. However, all these messages are still being pushed to my bb. Is there anyway to prevent this? The only thing I can think of is to copy all the same filters and add those filters to the vzw bis site - tho that seems kinda tedious.

PS I'm using pop gmail setup. imap didn't work well, and I have gmail app but it is slow compared to pop push.

Thanks!
    06-13-08 02:37 AM
    That is a good question. If I send something to [email protected], I wouldn't want that showing up on my BB, just archived on gmail.
    06-13-08 09:47 AM
    bump. anyone?
    06-14-08 01:32 PM
    Hi everyone,

Former Treo guy, New VZW Curve owner. I LOVE this thing. These boards are great, thanks already for all the great advice.

I have one question which I'm not sure if BB can do or not?? I've recently setup gmail filters to direct a lot of my incoming messages to certain labels and auto-archive them so I don't have to see them in my inbox. However, all these messages are still being pushed to my bb. Is there anyway to prevent this? The only thing I can think of is to copy all the same filters and add those filters to the vzw bis site - tho that seems kinda tedious.

PS I'm using pop gmail setup. imap didn't work well, and I have gmail app but it is slow compared to pop push.

Thanks!
    Well the issue is that the filters in gmail only work when items are received in your inbox. The push services start working as soon as these items are coming in from your inbox.

You made a statement about logging into the BIS website... If it works, then that would probably be the only way. I'm unsure of what you were saying though.
    06-14-08 01:42 PM
    I am making the switch from Yahoo Mail to GMail primarily because of IMAP. With Yahoo Mail the items that I filtered to skip the inbox did not hit Blackberry. However, with GMail I am having the same issue as lastory. Any answers/suggestions? I get interrupted all day long with emails that I don't need to see right away and it's making me consider switching out of Blackberry as I am still in my 30 day trial period. Thanks!
    06-25-08 12:04 AM
    Has anyone ever seen a solution to what is raised in this thread? I've searched high and low and have yet to come up with an answer. Like some of the others, I use Gmail because of IMAP support. And I used Gmail filters to attach labels to incoming email to that I can read it later already sorted. But because the filters apply labels and do not actually sort into folders, everything is still seen by the BB. I hope someone has sorted this out. I know I can use the Google mail app for the BB, and I am using that presently. But I'd like to return to the native BB app for mail as I think it is better. But I really need to get past this labeling problem. Thanks.
    08-13-08 09:59 AM
    Have you tried setting up filters on your BIS? I know it might be a lot of work but if you know certain email addresses that you do not want to get on your phone you could setup a filter on BIS. Not sure if that will help solve your problem or not?
    08-13-08 10:03 AM
    No... as Jayden said, the way GMail filters work prohibits this. (or should I say that the filters to not carry over to your BlackBerry)

When you receive a message in your GMail inbox, the filter then does the appropriate action you have set up.

At the same time, once a message hits your GMail Inbox, it is already being pushed to your BlackBerry. There is no way to stop this... unless you create a filter on your BIS page, but these are less advanced and usually consist of blocking emails from a certain address, etc.

Hope that helps!
    08-13-08 10:03 AM
    The problem here stems from the fact that Gmail's POP3 message store is separate from the message store you see in their web interface. Messages arriving at your Gmail account are first processed by Gmail's SPAM filter. Messages identified as SPAM are labeled as such and are not copied to the POP3 message store. Remaining messages are copied to the POP3 message store. User-defined filters are then applied, where messages can be automatically labeled and archived.

The only workaround I know for this, without reproducing your Gmail filters in BIS, is to setup BIS to access your Gmail via IMAP. When using an IMAP connection to Gmail, only the messages in the Inbox are "synchronized" and pushed to your device.

The down side to IMAP is that it's not an immediate push system - it uses a 15 minute polling cycle, which is sometimes shortened to 3 minutes depending on mailbox activity.

Another side effect of using IMAP is that if, on your device, you delete messages "on Mailbox and Handheld", messages in your mailbox are actually archived, not deleted. This is because of Gmail's use of labels instead of folders, and deleting a message from the Inbox translates to removing the Inbox label from the message. In order to delete messages via IMAP you actually have to move them to the TRASH folder, which can't be done via the native BB email app.

Because of this issue of archiving instead of deleting issue, I chose to go back to POP3, and reproduce my filters in BIS. BIS filters are much more limited in what you can specify, but I was able to approximate the Gmail filters well enough.
    08-13-08 10:05 PM
    so i guess there is no way to fix this?
    10-21-08 01:49 PM
    I know this is old but I only recently started having this problem after switching to the new gmail plugin. I have since reverted to my old setup which bypasses the plugin and allows messages that skip the inbox to avoid being pushed to blackberry.

The website dcellphone provides the following instructions that work perfectly:
    1. first go to gmail account and enable IMAP
    2. open email setting on your blackberry phone.
    3. Click agree when the EULA screen appear,
    4. press add button to add new email account
    5. Select other account and press next button. Do not select Gmail wizard!
    6. In the email address form field enter any invalid email address and any invalid password, such as email: email @ dcellphone . com password:12345
    7. Select next and the email address will fail. Then select I will provide the settings to add this email account and press Next.
    8. In the email address form field enter your Gmail address. In the username field enter the portion before the @ sign. In the password field enter your password. Lastly enter imap.gmail.com in the email server field and press Next.
    9. The information will then be processed and a confirmation page should appear shortly thereafter.
    10. The device will then redirect you to your email accounts page where you can then edit additional settings.
    11. A new icon will be added to your home screen for you Gmail account and an email will be sent your your device stating you will begin receiving email in approximately 20 minutes and you’re done setting up your email.

I hope this helps someone
    kokeropie likes this.
    01-12-10 12:03 PM
    questioner18's settings above do indeed work. I just tested them.

Here are a few notes.

questioner18's settings allow you to explicitly specify the Gmail's IMAP protocol for BlackBerry's push service. According to UncleMike above, IMAP is not instant notification. That's not what I just saw. I'm getting instant email notifications with questioner18's settings.

However, the Enhanced Gmail Plug-In doesn't work. This isn't a deal breaker for me because for any serious Gmailing, I'd use the Gmail app anyway. It's got the search function and everything else.

UncleMike, you said you wanted to have your emails deleted from the server when deleted from the BlackBerry using IMAP? You can do that by going to Gmail labs and enabling "Advanced Imap Controls". The advanced controls give you more options for what to do with deleted messages (i.e. archive, move to trash, and delete forever). Alternatively, you can simply go to your Gmail labels and delete the label [Imap]/Trash. When you delete this label, all deleted messages from now on will automatically go to the trash; not archived and labeled.
    03-23-10 12:35 AM
    questioner18's settings work! Problem solved! Thanks!
    04-09-10 09:12 AM
    Does anyone know if this is fixable? And if so, who needs to fix it - RIM or GMail? And where can we submit a formal request?

I tried the work around above and it seemed to work but I had one issue. In my Gmail account, my Reply-To address is different than my gmail account. I was able to set it when setting up the GMail account on the BB in the standard way. However when I used the instructions above, I couldn't figure out how to change it. Does anyone know?
    04-21-10 09:20 PM
    Does anyone know if this is fixable? And if so, who needs to fix it - RIM or GMail? And where can we submit a formal request?

I tried the work around above and it seemed to work but I had one issue. In my Gmail account, my Reply-To address is different than my gmail account. I was able to set it when setting up the GMail account on the BB in the standard way. However when I used the instructions above, I couldn't figure out how to change it. Does anyone know?
    After you've finished setting up your email using the instructions above, do the following: click on "Setup" folder. Then "Email Settings". Click "Edit" under your email address. This will take you to a page where you can set a reply-to address. See if changing the reply-to address there helps.

As for whose fault this is, I don't know. But I think either party could fix this problem. And I would think it's easier fixed on RIM's Gmail plug-in part.
    04-21-10 11:38 PM
    Thanks for this little tutorial, it cleaned up some of my gmail issues.
    Does this help with getting things read or deleted in gmail deleted from the handheld?

Like an actual IMAP client?
    04-22-10 01:37 AM
    After you've finished setting up your email using the instructions above, do the following: click on "Setup" folder. Then "Email Settings". Click "Edit" under your email address. This will take you to a page where you can set a reply-to address. See if changing the reply-to address there helps.
    It's weird, there is no way to set the Reply To address when editing the e-mail address. When I set up the gmail account in the standard way, it appears under the Delivery options, along with Auto BCC. When I used the above instructions, the only option under Delivery options is Auto BCC:. I've checked under all of the other options and it's not there. Very strange.

Any other ideas???
    04-22-10 05:51 PM
    It's weird, there is no way to set the Reply To address when editing the e-mail address. When I set up the gmail account in the standard way, it appears under the Delivery options, along with Auto BCC. When I used the above instructions, the only option under Delivery options is Auto BCC:. I've checked under all of the other options and it's not there. Very strange.

Any other ideas???
    So you followed questioner18's instructions, and then when you had your Gmail setup with his instructions, you followed my instructions? And you still weren't able to find a Reply-To address field?
    04-23-10 12:57 AM
    So you followed questioner18's instructions, and then when you had your Gmail setup with his instructions, you followed my instructions? And you still weren't able to find a Reply-To address field?
    Yes. And I did a battery pull too hoping that would help and it didn't. I also tried googling to see if this was a known issue when setting up an "Other" e-mail address but didn't have much luck finding anything. And just as a test, I set up another "Other" non-gmail address and wasn't able to set the Reply-To address for that one either.

I LOVE not having the "Skip the Inbox" e-mails show up on my Blackberry but not being able to set the Reply-To address is a big deal for me!
    Last edited by KristyKay5; 04-23-10 at 09:55 AM.
    04-23-10 09:32 AM
    Yes. And I did a battery pull too hoping that would help and it didn't. I also tried googling to see if this was a known issue when setting up an "Other" e-mail address but didn't have much luck finding anything. And just as a test, I set up another "Other" non-gmail address and wasn't able to set the Reply-To address for that one either.

I LOVE not having the "Skip the Inbox" e-mails show up on my Blackberry but not being able to set the Reply-To address is a big deal for me!
    The Reply-To address field should be part of BlackBerry Internet Service portal, which opens you go to "Email Settings". If you don't see it there, they you might have something radically different from what I see, in which case I wouldn't know how to help you.

For me, the Reply-To field is clearly displayed there.

Sorry about that.
    04-23-10 11:46 AM
    The Reply-To address field should be part of BlackBerry Internet Service portal, which opens you go to "Email Settings". If you don't see it there, they you might have something radically different from what I see, in which case I wouldn't know how to help you.

For me, the Reply-To field is clearly displayed there.

Sorry about that.
    I was trying to edit the settings via the Blackberry and the Reply To option isn't there. However I just logged in through Sprint's BIS site where the option is available so I was able to change it. YAY!!

Thanks for your help!!
    04-23-10 12:10 PM
    Does this method seem to work well for all of you? I'm hoping to join the BlackBerry community when the 9650 is released but I use Google extensively (just really the Gmail and Calendar part). The big hesitation I have on the 9650 since I'm also considering the Evo is the whole inability to use labels since I use them extensively to help filter mail and organize it. Just wanted to get feedback - I like my physical keyboard because I mainly text/call/email on my phone but I'd be very disappointed if I couldn't get the labels to work. Even my iPod Touch at least addresses the labels issue by identifying them as folders.
    If you use this method to set up your GMail account then you lose the ability to apply labels because you're no longer using the Enhanced Gmail Plug-In. If you set it up in the standard way, then you can apply labels but any filters you have set in your Gmail account to skip the inbox will show up on your Blackberry. So I think it's a trade-off. I've never been a heavy label user so I can't speak to how well it works (if you set up the account in the standard way).
    04-23-10 11:13 PM
    This did solve my problem, but it's created another one.

All my Gmail filters are now applied before the BlackBerry gets the email, so I only get the stuff that's in my inbox. This is great.

But now, everytime I send out an email, the emails are labelled as "Sent Items" in my Gmail. I know why this happens - this method treats Gmail as a regular IMAP server and puts sent email into a "Sent Items" folder, which Gmail applies a label to, instead of applying a "Sent Mail" label.

The problem is that clicking on the "Sent Mail" link in the Gmail web interface doesn't show the emails I've sent out from my BB; I have to view the "Sent Items" label.

Any solution for this?
    07-23-10 09:42 AM
    This did solve my problem, but it's created another one.

All my Gmail filters are now applied before the BlackBerry gets the email, so I only get the stuff that's in my inbox. This is great.

But now, everytime I send out an email, the emails are labelled as "Sent Items" in my Gmail. I know why this happens - this method treats Gmail as a regular IMAP server and puts sent email into a "Sent Items" folder, which Gmail applies a label to, instead of applying a "Sent Mail" label.

The problem is that clicking on the "Sent Mail" link in the Gmail web interface doesn't show the emails I've sent out from my BB; I have to view the "Sent Items" label.

Any solution for this?
    I'm not sure if there's a solution to your problem. But one thing you might try is the Advanced IMAP Controls, which is a Gmail feature that you can enable in Gmail Labs.

Once it's enabled, more options will appear in the IMAP settings page of Gmail. See if there's something there that you can adjust to fix your problem.
    07-23-10 10:05 AM
    hello all,

If I want to have emails from few labels (that skip my gmail inbox) to be pushed to my bb device, what should I do?
    05-10-11 01:55 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD