I just got google mobile app and I see here that there's a gmail app as well which I installed. Just wondering which of you guys use most when you have gmail as your main email? The native messages app or the gmail app for BB?

Also the google search app is pretty nice but I don't see any use for it when I already have the Browser icon in my home screen....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-10 02:42 PM
    Personally i use my native application. it's good enough for me, and the Google Search is nice and it's alot quicker than the browser.

03-25-10 02:51 PM
    +1 for google app being quicker than browser...also good for speaking out your searches when you're in bed and too lazy too type

I never really use the gmail app

03-25-10 02:58 PM
    PUSH vs PULL service. having Gmail app running in back ground increase the battery consumption.
    Gmail app is nice but u can attach file when sending emails
    03-25-10 02:58 PM
    PUSH vs PULL service. having Gmail app running in back ground increase the battery consumption.
    Gmail app is nice but u can attach file when sending emails
    ALL email is tied to a blackberry is pushed to it.

and you can attach stuff with the native browser. i have to do it all the time for work.

03-25-10 03:03 PM
    I just dumped google mobile app and gmail app in the downloads folder, I'll just stick with the native messages and google search in the browser. The google mobile search app was really nice and fast, but I don't want that running in the background all the time. There's no bookmarks there too oh well.

Thx for the replies!

03-25-10 03:13 PM
    I just dumped google mobile app and gmail app in the downloads folder, I'll just stick with the native messages and google search in the browser. The google mobile search app was really nice and fast, but I don't want that running in the background all the time. There's no bookmarks there too oh well.

Thx for the replies!

no problem * thumbs up *

03-25-10 03:17 PM
    ALL email is tied to a blackberry is pushed to it.

and you can attach stuff with the native browser. i have to do it all the time for work.

umm, pretty sure the gmail app is not push. If you set it up on BIS, then yes, but to just use the app, negative.
    03-25-10 03:36 PM
    I use the gmail push with the filter set for inbox only. All the daily offers I get from other websites are filtered in gmail to be marked as read and archived (I must have 100+ filters in gmail), then I can look at them if I need them. I like the gmail push because it can view email as HTML where the gmail app cannot. I only use the gmail app to search for old emails from a while ago.
    03-25-10 05:29 PM
    umm, pretty sure the gmail app is not push. If you set it up on BIS, then yes, but to just use the app, negative.
    umm... then please show me the "option" to set the "poll time" or the server time out... it's not there... its pushed.

03-25-10 05:44 PM
    sorry, didnt want to star a new thread for this

Is BBM a push service?
    03-25-10 06:00 PM
    sorry, didnt want to star a new thread for this

Is BBM a push service?
    100% yes.

03-25-10 06:01 PM
    Ok this is really a stupid question.... What is Push? I keep hearing about it. Sorry for dumb question but I just don't know what it is

03-25-10 07:54 PM
    umm... then please show me the "option" to set the "poll time" or the server time out... it's not there... its pushed.

The gmail app is PULL. The app has no access to BB's push servers. Its like the gtalk app. It polls. You can't set the poll time but that's how it works.

EDIT: http://www.bbgeeks.com/comparisons/pushing-your-gmail-vs-the-gmail-blackberry-app-88248/
    Last edited by dLo GSR; 03-25-10 at 08:29 PM.
    03-25-10 08:05 PM
    The gmail app is PULL. The app has no access to BB's push servers. Its like the gtalk app. It polls. You can't set the poll time but that's how it works.

Exactly.
    03-25-10 08:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD