I don't know if my thread title makes sense but basically what I would like to know is what are the advantages of downloading the Gmail app vs just setting up a Gmail account through my BIS (Email Settings/Add Account)? My main objective here is wireless contacts sync.
    I have read a lot of negative feedback regarding Gmail on a BlackBerry but I will not really even be using this for email all to often, although I will from time to time.
    What I have done is just added my new Gmail account through the native BlackBerry email setup and then downloaded Google Sync. I downloaded the Gmail app but I didn't really like the UI and I like to have all 3 of my email accounts go into the same folder.
    I guess I'm just looking for advice and wondering if I did the right thing for my current needs or if I should have taken a different route?

Thanks,

Troy
    02-02-10 09:09 AM
    I setup Gmail to forward a copy to my blackberry.net address...works great and any filters or other settings I want to edit I do so in my Gmail account...clean and sweet...big plus for me it keeps my BIS account clean and when/if I have problems with my phone there are no filters to delete before BB tech support will run diagnostics on the phone...this happen once which is why I switched to controlling my email with my Gmail account...good luck whichever way you go!

also no app to download....
    02-02-10 09:19 AM
    I use gmail through bis and love it that way. I also don't see a point in the gmail application as bis does a fine job by itself
    02-02-10 09:57 AM
    I use. The bis for my gmail. The only reason I keep the gmail app is incase bis email goes down. As long as the internet stays working at least I get semi push mail. If all else fails there is mobile web via wap browser.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-10 11:12 AM
    I use the BIS, however I do find the gmail app useful fo rwhen I need to search for an old email.
    02-05-10 09:04 AM
    I use the BIS, however I do find the gmail app useful fo rwhen I need to search for an old email.
    Same here!

I LOVE BIS push. it is great. Hated the enhanced plugin, so I got rid of it and use the gmail app for searching old mail. Works great this way.
    02-05-10 09:10 AM
    I have both, I frequently delete emails on a weekly basis from my device but I keep the app incase I want to search through my archives or whatever. The BIS setup is my "mailbox", the app is my "file cabinet"
    02-05-10 09:15 AM
    Same here!

I LOVE BIS push. it is great. Hated the enhanced plugin, so I got rid of it and use the gmail app for searching old mail. Works great this way.
    In another thread you suggested editing the "net_rim_bb_gmail.alx" file in order to have it show up in the App Loader in DM. I tried editing but I can't save the new file and it is treated like like a Read Only file tho not checked RO in the file properties. I'm using Windows 7 btw. Any suggestions? I'd love to delete the plugin.
    02-05-10 09:59 AM
    Gmail app did not open attachments (.pdf, .doc, .xls, etc.) correctly. With BIS, the attachments will open via DocumentsToGo.
    02-05-10 11:13 AM
    In another thread you suggested editing the "net_rim_bb_gmail.alx" file in order to have it show up in the App Loader in DM. I tried editing but I can't save the new file and it is treated like like a Read Only file tho not checked RO in the file properties. I'm using Windows 7 btw. Any suggestions? I'd love to delete the plugin.
    That's because you don't have permission to edit/save the file in Windows 7 as it's in with what Windows 7 considers "protected system files."

You can turn UAC off (Google it as this isn't a Windows support forum ) while editing the file. I generally fly with UAC turned all the way off anyway, but one needs to be fully aware of the dangers of doing so.

It may also be possible to copy the file to your documents folder, edit it there, then copy it back without turning UAC off. I haven't tried that.
    02-05-10 11:18 AM
    The remote search feature from BB itself works great for me

Thatton,
    Wireless contact sync works well with BIS as well (I guess this feature is also added by the Enhanced Gmail Plugin which I guess is by default pushed by the carrier)
    02-05-10 11:29 AM
    That's because you don't have permission to edit/save the file in Windows 7 as it's in with what Windows 7 considers "protected system files."

You can turn UAC off (Google it as this isn't a Windows support forum ) while editing the file. I generally fly with UAC turned all the way off anyway, but one needs to be fully aware of the dangers of doing so.

It may also be possible to copy the file to your documents folder, edit it there, then copy it back without turning UAC off. I haven't tried that.
    Thanks for the tip. I turned off UAC, changed the file, and uninstalled the plugin. Now my gmail is working like I want it to.
    02-06-10 11:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD