This is my first blackberry so I'm still adjusting. I've been using Gmail for over 2 years and love everything about it. I synced my contacts and calendar already and I have my gmail account set up the "normal" way on my BB.

I noticed there's a Gmail Mobile Application available. I'm pretty much in love with Google and all their applications but I'm new to the whole BlackBerry thing so I don't have a very good sense of comparison yet. What are the Pros/Cons of using the Gmail App for my email messages vs having them delivered the normal way into my inbox on my phone?
    02-24-09 06:50 AM
    gmail app is for java phones that do not have push email services like iphone or blackberry.

standard bb push gmail RULES... dont even bother replyin to this thread

trust me...
    02-24-09 06:58 AM
    This is my first blackberry so I'm still adjusting. I've been using Gmail for over 2 years and love everything about it. I synced my contacts and calendar already and I have my gmail account set up the "normal" way on my BB.

I noticed there's a Gmail Mobile Application available. I'm pretty much in love with Google and all their applications but I'm new to the whole BlackBerry thing so I don't have a very good sense of comparison yet. What are the Pros/Cons of using the Gmail App for my email messages vs having them delivered the normal way into my inbox on my phone?
    I have GMail as well. All you have to do is to go to Setup-->Email Settings, select "Add". Put in your GMail account and password, it will set it up in a couple seconds. And GMail is push in the GIS setup. I sent myself a test email and I got it instantly.

There is no need to install any GMail Application.

Hope this helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 07:08 AM
    I have used both for gmail. As far as the built in inbox I would say a pro is that the mail alert comes up pretty much instantly when you get a message. A con for it is that it doesnt show emails well. If there are a lot of links or graphics then it will be all messed up.

The application displays your messages much better, but it takes longer to show messages as well as it is adding another program to your phone.
    02-24-09 07:08 AM
    when the new bis (2.6) goes active, the gmail integraton is going to be a lot better.
    02-24-09 07:16 AM
    Make sure you check out this thread if you run into duplicate emails using Gmail.
    Last edited by cap10mark; 02-24-09 at 08:01 AM.
    02-24-09 07:55 AM
    I use both...normally the BB mail app but will use the gmail app when I want to look something up in an older mail that's not stored on the BB...or if I forget to turn on forwarding in BIS before I go out.

02-24-09 08:02 AM
    unless i've missed it along the way you can't apply labels etc to e-mails with default mail on the BB, I believe there's a gmail app somewhere for the BB that lets you control all of this. I don't really see a need for it, and would never install an app for gmail. Default mail services are perfect IMO.
    02-24-09 08:53 AM
    Here's my experience. On my old 8703e which didn't do HTML email, I'd use the gmail app, since I could see the mail as it was meant to be seen, where the bb email app would give pages of HTML I had to scroll through to get to the actual email. Only issue was that the gmail app didn't have an icon notification, it just flashed the light.

Now that I have the storm, I only use the bb mail app since it does handle HTML. Here's my trick though, I have a @telus.blackberry.net email address which is obviously push. If you set gmail up with bb mail it's not push mail since it has to poll every so often. What I do, is on the BB, I set my reply to address as my @gmail.com address, then on gmail, I go into the settings and enable forwarding, and auto forward all mail to my @telus.blackberry.net address.

Only issue is if you read a message on your phone, it's unread on gmail.com and so on, there's no syncing going on like with the gmail app. For me though I really only use my mail on my bb, and this way you get true push and it's very fast.
    02-24-09 08:58 AM
    GMAIL APP PROS: loads Gmail contacts when addressing recipients, ability to report spam, ability to star items, ability to use labels, ability to search entire e-mail archive, ability to see Gmail-style threaded e-mails, syncs exactly with Gmail (read items on Blackberry show as read on Gmail)

GMAIL APP CONS: cannot send and receive attachments, normal 3rd-party application memory leak, updates only every 15 minutes

BIS (Blackberry) EMAIL PROS: instant send-and-receive (push), integrated with Blackberry OS, larger viewing/writing area, ability to send and receive attachments, HTML formatting

BIS (Blackberry) EMAIL CONS: Pretty much every pro for Gmail -- cannot report spam, cannot use stars or labels, cannot load Gmail contacts, can only search for e-mails currently on your phone, does not sync exactly (emails read on BB still show up as new on Gmail, however, emails deleted from BB delete from Gmail; e-mails deleted from Gmail DO NOT delete from BB).

The choice is yours. Personally I use the BIS e-mail 90% of the time and when I need to bring up an old e-mail from way back that is not on my phone, I use the GMAIL app. This is because Gmail search is very important to me, but using stars and labels is not important to me.
    Last edited by mdude85; 02-24-09 at 09:05 AM.
    02-24-09 09:01 AM

I use both the "normal" set up for daily use and the app for label emails, deleted, sent. I just make sure the app is closed out so its not running all day, and just run it when I need it. The app just keeps me from having to use a computer to check emails. Good luck!
    02-24-09 09:35 AM
    mdude85 and leemoreau

Fyi if you have bis set up to use imap, reading messages on you bb will instantly mark them as read on gmail.com

02-24-09 09:49 AM
    Mdude is right on, and I'll add a few reasons I use both.

I keep Gmail on my phone for less frequent use because it carries my regular signature as though I am sending from home or work. (I know you can customize either app, but this is how I roll.)

Also, I keep a gmail "contact" for all logins and passwords to every random web site account. I don't clutter my BB with those contacts with nothing but logins and infrequently contacted contacts. (Am I the only one who does this?) It's handy to be able to look up my extended list of contacts that the gmail app has acess to.

I'm all ears is someone here skins that cat differently!

J
    02-24-09 10:16 AM
    I keep the gmail app just in case i need to search for old gmails since before i had my blackberry.

i always use push email, the gmail app is just a backup. its also nice if your out of an extended area and cant get blackberry services. (that might be a misunderstanding on my part though, so if someone knows better feel free to correct me)
    02-24-09 10:27 AM
    A huge thing I use gmail for is organization with archiving, applying labels, searching old emails, threaded emails, and synchronization with my internet based gmail log in. This saves me time later from having to archive or delete everything on my computer. I am fine with only checking my email every 15 minutes.

Basically, if you need to receive messages instantly and don't care as much about organization, go with the built in system. If you can wait 15 minutes between receiving emails and want to sync directly with the web mail at gmail.com to save time later, go with the gmail app.
    02-24-09 10:33 AM
    Cool, I will stick with the BB email then. Hasn't given me any reason to complain.

How do I add that IMAP thing? I logged into my BIS account but I must have missed it. I hate seeing unread messages that I've already read elsewhere
    02-24-09 06:11 PM
    Here's my experience. On my old 8703e which didn't do HTML email, I'd use the gmail app, since I could see the mail as it was meant to be seen, where the bb email app would give pages of HTML I had to scroll through to get to the actual email. Only issue was that the gmail app didn't have an icon notification, it just flashed the light.

Now that I have the storm, I only use the bb mail app since it does handle HTML. Here's my trick though, I have a @telus.blackberry.net email address which is obviously push. If you set gmail up with bb mail it's not push mail since it has to poll every so often. What I do, is on the BB, I set my reply to address as my @gmail.com address, then on gmail, I go into the settings and enable forwarding, and auto forward all mail to my @telus.blackberry.net address.

Only issue is if you read a message on your phone, it's unread on gmail.com and so on, there's no syncing going on like with the gmail app. For me though I really only use my mail on my bb, and this way you get true push and it's very fast.
    you lost me... i have gmail setup through the blackberry mail setup wizard and i get my emails pushed instantly... no need to forward or anything.. am i misunderstanding or something?
    02-24-09 06:27 PM
    Cool, I will stick with the BB email then. Hasn't given me any reason to complain.

How do I add that IMAP thing? I logged into my BIS account but I must have missed it. I hate seeing unread messages that I've already read elsewhere
    For anyone else who's curios, I found out how to enable IMAP. You don't do it in the BIS settings, it's in your Gmail account

Gmail --> Settings --> Forwarding and POP/IMAP --> Enable IMAP

Done.
    02-25-09 05:45 AM
    ^ two things to get IMAP working - enable IMAP from your gmail settings.

Then go into your BIS website on the PC (not the phone) and delete that account if it was previously set up as POP. Go to Add account and do not specify a password...keep telling it you will provide the details until you get to the third screen I believe where you put in your username, password and server: imap.gmail.com

Ensure under the details tab that it is set up as imap (port 993 and SSL is checked) and save...now you will have instant IMAP push email and sync.

With this method, there is no need to forward to your native BB email address ( I used to do that for POP access).

If your gmail/google apps email is POP, the BB will poll every 15 minutes and PULL the email..or you will have to forward it to your BB email address to get push capability..personally I have transitioned from POP to IMAP...the only issue is that IMAP is sometimes finicky at the moment...
    02-25-09 10:05 AM
    I use GMail for personal e-mails and use the BB Mail for work. I don't like the way that the BB stuffs all e-mails in the same box and I like to be able to quickly dig through my work e-mails without the clutter of my personal stuff.

-Greg
    02-25-09 10:33 AM
    you lost me... i have gmail setup through the blackberry mail setup wizard and i get my emails pushed instantly... no need to forward or anything.. am i misunderstanding or something?

It's not actually pushing them instantly, with imap it might but I had issues with that where it wouldn't receive them at certain times. When you set up the gmail app it's POP so the bb just checks for new mail every so often and delivers it to your phone, not sure the actual time every few minutes or so. Your blackberry email address though is push so by forwarding from gmail to it it comes instantly. It may be polling the POP server often enough that it seems like real time otherwise it's not pushing.
    02-25-09 12:45 PM
    I'm trying to figure out the best route to take for my e-mail, and in doing so I'm trying to consolidate a bunch of email accounts in one place....
    I've created a gmail account and like it ok so far. I've got 4 different e-mail addresses: 1 for the business I own, 1 for work, and 2 personal hotmail accounts

I would like to set up "labels" (guess these are the same as folders in hotmail) so that each account is still technically seperated inside of gmail. Am I going to need to use the gmail app to utilize this?

Any suggestions would be helpful.
    03-08-09 06:00 PM
    good luck.

I'd just Foward your own business emails to gmail, in BIS settings change the reply to to [email protected] so it looks like its come from there...

screw your work emails...

add 2 x hotmail accounts to BIS and get them straight to your phone.

Done.
    03-08-09 06:12 PM
    Gmail imap is awesome. Syncs mail perfectly. Deletes in BB and on cpu. Also if you read an email on ur BB ut shows up as read in the cpu. POP does not do this.

03-08-09 06:12 PM
    good luck.

I'd just Foward your own business emails to gmail, in BIS settings change the reply to to your email so it looks like its come from there...

screw your work emails...

add 2 x hotmail accounts to BIS and get them straight to your phone.

Done.
    Problem is that I have to have my employees read the e-mails via Outlook, which receives the e-mails via IMAP from Worldclient (doesn't use Exchange Server), on the computer in the office. I want to be able to delete the e-mails from G-mail, however, and have them delete in Worldclient and/or Outlook.

My work e-mail is based on exchange server and we don't have Blackberry capability...

It sure would be nice if IMAP worked FROM outlook TO g-mail rather than only the other way around. It seems to me that most people would want it that way...to be able to delete work e-mails outside the office from a personal account.

The hotmail accounts aren't even an issue. Those are easy. It's the two Outlook based accounts that are giving me a freakin migraine.
    03-09-09 12:10 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD