I apologize if this is out there, but I can't seem to find an existing thread with this exact issue and I've looked and looked. :-)
    I have a new Verizon Tour (loving it!) and Installed the GMail app, when I get a new message my GMail icon on the home screen will change to let me know BUT I don't get the little notification on top telling me I have an e-mail and how many. If the Tour is locked the only way I can tell if there is a new e-mail in the GMail app is if I unlock the BB and look at my icons. The notifier works for regular mail, Facebook, calendar, etc. but not for the GMail app. This used to work on my Curve but I can't find the setting anywhere.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    07-16-09 10:39 AM
    I didn't realize it worked with the Curve. The GMail app did not have a notifier on the Storm, so it may be the same case here. Not sure though, would love for an expert to chime in on this one.
    07-16-09 10:41 AM
    Yeah, I had no issues on my Curve. I would constantly upgrade the GMail app whenever a new revision came out so I was using Google's latest and greatest. I've been going nuts the last few days trying to figure it out and I think it's finally time to ask the big guns for some help. :-)
    07-16-09 10:46 AM
    I'm having the same problem with my Tour

I think it is something with the application, and Google just needs to update it.

Peace,
    Tm
    07-16-09 11:15 AM
    The Gmail App notifies me just fine. You have to set it to notify, otherwise it will remain on silent.
    07-16-09 11:35 AM
    I also have this issue with gmail, and jivetalk / beejiveIM. Beejive support states its a bug with the OS and an issue for RIM to address... who knows...
    07-16-09 11:55 AM
    The Gmail App notifies me just fine. You have to set it to notify, otherwise it will remain on silent.
    I believe the issue is a visual indicator on the screen. Unless the GMail app is on the home screen, you would not know if there's an email waiting for you.
    07-16-09 12:03 PM
    I believe the issue is a visual indicator on the screen. Unless the GMail app is on the home screen, you would not know if there's an email waiting for you.
    My GMail app is on my home screen, you will see the actual GMail icon change when you get a message BUT you don't get the little notifier icon on the top of the screen like you do with your regular e-mail. So if the Tour isn't locked you can tell BUT if it's locked the only way to tell if you have an email from GMail is to unlock the device and look. I'd like to be able to just hit a key to pull the device out of "sleep" mode and look at my screen to see what I have like I was able to do on my Curve.
    There's gotta be a setting somewhere I'm missing but for the life of me I can't find it.
    And yes, I do have the option checked within the GMail app to "Notify me when there is new mail in my Inbox."
    Again, thanks for any assitance, i'm pulling my hair out here. :-)
    07-16-09 12:21 PM
    I don't know what everyone is talking about. Gmail app gives me notification. I have it on my home screen, and if an email comes through a sound goes off. As well, a visual indicator will signify a new email.

Also, you have to open sounds and set the notification for the app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by kingzee; 07-16-09 at 04:10 PM.
    07-16-09 04:08 PM
    I am having a similar issue. When I get new mail the Gmail icon changes and the led flashes but I am not able to get the phone to make a noise or vibrate. I don't even see a setting under ring tones/alerts to modify the gmail settings. All my other apps are listed but gmail is not. Any ideas?
    07-16-09 05:21 PM
    Click on the sounds icon in the left corner. Click on ringtones/alerts and then scroll down to Other. You should see Gmaik - New email. Do you?

07-16-09 05:42 PM
    Kingzee, I have GMail on my home screen as well. If an e-mail comes in my unit will vibrate, the light will blink red and the GMail icon will change for me. The notifier I'm talking about is the icon notification you get at the top of the BB screen when you get a new mail, when you missed a call, when you have a calendar reminder, etc. If you see the image below the notifier would be in the upper left between the battery and clock. You can see these when your BB is locked and you know exactly what's come through and from where. GMail used to give me an icon there as well when I had new mail on my Curve, I can't seem to get it to do it on the Tour. Not sure if this is the notifier you are getting but that's what I'm trying to figure out how to turn on... and what I'm going nuts not being able to do. LOL

07-16-09 05:55 PM
    Click on the sounds icon in the left corner. Click on ringtones/alerts and then scroll down to Other. You should see Gmaik - New email. Do you?

No, I don't have that option. I see facebook, ubertwitter and other apps but no gmail.
    07-16-09 06:06 PM
    Okay, no I don't get that, but it doesn't bother me. It would be nice though. If you figure something out, let us know.

So you're saying that your curve did give you that particular notification with the Gmail app?
    07-16-09 06:40 PM
    Okay, no I don't get that, but it doesn't bother me. It would be nice though. If you figure something out, let us know.

So you're saying that your curve did give you that particular notification with the Gmail app?
    Yep, same version of the GMail app too. It's really handy for me since I have my BB always locked with a password. All I have to do is hit a key to "wake" it up and I can see exactly what's waiting for me without having to unlock the unit.
    07-16-09 06:48 PM
    07-16-09 08:49 PM
    Yep, not getting any love there either. I'd venture to bet CrackBerry finds the fix before Google does. ;-)
    07-16-09 09:28 PM
    I read a solution on BlackBerry Forums that worked for me.

Do a backup of your Tour using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Pull the battery and reboot.

After it restarted, I went to the Options/Ringtones/Alerts/Other and GMail was listed there. I assigned it a custom tone and now it works for me.
    07-17-09 08:29 AM
    Thanks gadzooks64 but no go. I read that too but it seems to be if you lose the tone options that will bring it back. I tried it anyway and I still can't get the notification icon on the top of the screen with my other notifiers when a new GMail comes in. Thank you though
    07-17-09 09:16 AM
    Thanks gadzooks64 but no go. I read that too but it seems to be if you lose the tone options that will bring it back. I tried it anyway and I still can't get the notification icon on the top of the screen with my other notifiers when a new GMail comes in. Thank you though
    You're not alone, Venom07.
    07-17-09 09:19 AM
    Anyone have a number for Google? I'll call em! LOL I can't seem to find a good way to contact them. :-)
    07-17-09 09:29 AM
    @ venom - I guess you're not allowed to google Google, huh?

07-19-09 09:48 PM
    It seems this is only a problem for Sprint phones. I tried everything. Including a complete wipe & only bringing back PIM data (I assumed some hidden file was restoring over from my old Curve). No dice.
    07-26-09 10:40 PM
    Nope, issue exists on Verizon as well. Mainly on the Tour from what I've gathered.
    07-28-09 09:11 PM
    @Venom07 and @blackberryboy : This problem exists for ATT and T-Mo phones also.
    I used to have this visual notification working in my BBOS 4.3 on my Pearl 8100. Then when I upgraded my phone to BB OS 4.5 I have all notifications working but the visual-top-of-screen-icon notification. I thought it might be my poor old phone.
    Yesterday I got meself a new 8900 (T-Mobile version unlocked to use on the ATT network) and no draw. I can get LED' to blink, sounds and vibrations to notify me but no visual icon on the top screen indicating that I have got Gmail!!

Damn..

Best Regards,
    PK.
    08-03-09 04:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD