I was on another thread re: the notification LED problem using Gmail App. No less than three people asked the poster why he would want to use Gmail App and not BIS. Without getting into the BlackBerry Data Plan/Generic Data Plan argument, I would suggest that perhaps the use of the GMail App on BIS would be to allow someone to check an address from their device without having emails necessarily be pushed to the phone. I have a separate GMail address for mailing lists, E-Bay, Amazon, forwards etc...from my BIS address because if I kept all my emails Push I would be buzzing all day long!
    01-30-08 12:07 PM
    Quick question:

Does the Gmail app use data? Can I use it on the Rogers $15 email plan?
    01-30-08 04:44 PM
    Yes, Gmail App will work on $15 email only plan.
    01-30-08 05:06 PM
    Nice! thanks.
    01-30-08 05:57 PM
    perhaps the use of the GMail App on BIS would be to allow someone to check an address from their device without having emails necessarily be pushed to the phone. I have a separate GMail address for mailing lists, E-Bay, Amazon, forwards etc...from my BIS address because if I kept all my emails Push I would be buzzing all day long!
    I use both. I like being notified of incoming email and usually process incoming email through BIS quickly by either reading and deleting or reading and responding and deleting. I don't leave email sitting in my BB inbox long. If I need to look at an archieved email, I just pull up the gmail app.

As you point out, the gmail app won't notify you of incoming email.

Both the BIS and the gmail app have their purposes. Be glad you use gmail. Not many other solutions offer the versatility of gmail!

Kudos Google!
    02-01-08 01:06 AM
    G-Mail does have a notification feature. You can set vibe, tone, and LED notification for it. G-Mail App isn't true push, it appears to poll every 15 min or so. It's the next best thing to Push. Actually, Consilient is!!! (Why does no one ever mention Consilient???)
    02-01-08 07:03 AM
    What is Consilient?
    02-01-08 08:20 PM
    Consilient - Free Push Email and Mobile Advertising is a push email client that you can use as an alternative to RIM push email and it works on generic data plans. Now the user interface for BB is light years behind their interface ffor symbian and windows mobile phones, but it still gets the job done. I highly recommend it.
    02-01-08 08:46 PM
    I tried Consilient but since I couldn't access my Gmail contacts (very important to me), I decided to stick with the Gmail App. Plus, as the person who originally mentioned Consilient said, the screen is pretty basic. Almost as if BB was an afterthought in my opinion.
    02-04-08 10:28 AM
    For those who are interested, the cool thing about Consilient is that it takes very little data and e-mails are pushed to your phone. You can have it constantly running in the background and if you want to send an email using your contacts, you can then open the G-Mail App. Sounds a little weird, I know, but we do what we can if we don't have full BB data plans!

As a side note, I spoke to someone at Consilient and the truth is they are not actively working on their app. for the BB and I suspect its because there might have been some legal issues (the founder of Consilient used to be employed by RIM).
    02-04-08 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD