I got my storm a few days ago and udpated to .83 yesterday without too many issues. However, I noticed that I can no longer set an alert for Gmail messages received by the Gmail mobile app (which I like better than the built in email for its access to my entire mailbox).

Under .75 I was able to set an alert under "Other" in Sound Profiles, but it now seems to be missing. I'm not sure if this happened when I updated or sometime before though.

I searched for this problem but only found a couple of mentions of it and no solutions. One person said to make sure Gmail was open and then it could be set in Sound Profiles but that isn't the case for me.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm loving the storm and would like to resolve this issue.
    12-26-08 09:58 AM
    have you tried reinstalling the gmail app?
    12-26-08 09:59 AM
    Yes I did. I tried deleting from "applications" in the storm options and reinstalling as well as deleting with the desktop software and reinstalling, but still no joy. I may try wiping the phone and reinstalling from a backup to see if that brings it back, but I'd rather not have to do that.
    12-26-08 10:05 AM
    Bump. No one else has encountered this issue?
    12-26-08 06:05 PM
    Moved to correct forum. Please post threads in the correct forum. This is about 3rd party apps therefore it belongs in the Storms 3rd party apps subforum. Thanks.
    12-26-08 07:05 PM
    Sorry, I wasn't thinking. In any case, bump.

Oh also, I noticed I also used to be able to set alerts for weatherbug. That is now also gone.
    12-28-08 08:15 AM
    I'm having the same issue regarding the Gmail app. The only difference is that I never upgraded to .83 - I've always had .75. The ability to change the alert was there this morning, but this evening it disappeared. I tried deleting and reinstalling, pulling the battery, etc. Nothing has brought the option back.
    12-28-08 09:49 PM
    Just thought I'd say that this little niggle has been negated for me, as I decided to rely mostly on the BIS client instead. I'm using that for the most part and only using the Gmail app if I need to pull up old mail, etc (I also turned off notifications for the Gmail client). This has the advantage of both instant notification (vs. the gmail app's delay) and also html support, while still retaining the ability to see archived messages, etc. (with the gmail client). Best of both worlds IMO, and what I would recommend to anyone wishing to use a Gmail account with their Blackberry.
    12-30-08 03:43 PM
    Oddly, the option returned on my BlackBerry yesterday. I did nothing to prompt it, and the Gmail app didn't update as far as I know... the option simply returned. I'm not sure if it'll disappear again, but I guess for now, the issue is (kind of) solved for me, too.
    01-01-09 04:32 PM
    Oddly, the option returned on my BlackBerry yesterday. I did nothing to prompt it, and the Gmail app didn't update as far as I know... the option simply returned. I'm not sure if it'll disappear again, but I guess for now, the issue is (kind of) solved for me, too.
    Funny as mine just disappeared today. I don't konw what happened.
    01-01-09 08:59 PM
    I'm having the same issue regarding the Gmail app. The only difference is that I never upgraded to .83 - I've always had .75. The ability to change the alert was there this morning, but this evening it disappeared. I tried deleting and reinstalling, pulling the battery, etc. Nothing has brought the option back.
    bump...any solutions yet? +1 to quoted post...exact same situation for me. any help would be great as i really like to use both the gmail app and the BB email together for different purposes. thanks!
    01-03-09 10:50 AM
    I'm afraid there's no solution that I'm aware of. The option reappeared on my sounds menu and is still there, and again, I did nothing to prompt it. One day I just checked and it was back. I don't know why it went away or why it came back - I'm just hopeful that it will stay around.
    01-03-09 10:54 AM
    I am in the same boat as the OP. It disappeared for me for a few days. I checked back today and it has magiacally reappeared. I did nothing to try to fix this. weird.... oh well atleast it is back
    01-06-09 09:13 AM
    Mine went away, came back, and now it's gone again. Hopefully it'll come back again soon and some kind of update to either the handset or the app will remove this issue. At least for now I'm happy with the alert sound I have set. It would drive me nuts if I was using a ringer that I didn't care for and it disappeared like this...
    01-14-09 08:49 AM
    i have the exact same problem. Reloaded the BB andinstalled GMail again it was there until i did my first reboot. Gone ever since. Annoying because the notification seems to be set to Vibrate!
    07-11-09 01:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD