Ok, so I've had a bb for about 3 years now and the same phone # and I've never received a call from a telemarketer until last week. The two weeks prior to that I installed a bunch of new apps, which I did not have before, and I'm strongly suspecting that one of those apps was responsible for this. I've been getting calls from different telemarketers, non stop, as many as 10 calls a day even on weekends and at night. I went ahead and uninstalled many of those apps, particularly the ones that had a trial. I'm wondering if anyone here with any of these apps has been getting calls from telemarketers. Here is the list:

Uninstalled:
    Add Contact App
    Autolock (free trial)
    Extra keys (free trial) - Now I have the paid version
    Free Chess
    Menu X
    Photo Notes (Free)
    Slider Lock
    Soti Pocket Controller - Pro

Still in my bb:

Bill Tracker
    Extra keys (paid version)
    Minesweeper
    Pandora (free version)
    Photo Editor Extreme (paid)
    Photo Editor Ultimate (paid)
    Police Scanner Radio
    Remko (had this one for a while, but might be suspect)
    Smoothie (also for a while, but suspect)
    SpeedNotes (paid)
    Twinkle
    Wikitude
    Last edited by socalbbguy; 09-30-11 at 02:57 PM.
    09-30-11 02:48 PM
    Just use a call blocking app to filter your calls.

There Problem Solved
    09-30-11 03:11 PM
    I have slider lock. No calls. Are you sure your number didn't get published online somewhere

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-30-11 04:23 PM
    As the developer of SpeedNotes, I can give you my honest word that I do not share any of your personal information, unless you use my app to deliberately send it to someone that is!

It would be worth going into the permissions of the apps that you suspect and seeing if they have access to personal information granted. You should always be prompted by your BB whenever an app requires this or any other permission. Unfortunately, too many apps these days just prompt for every permission available instead of just asking for those that they need.

Russ.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    09-30-11 04:33 PM
    Just use a call blocking app to filter your calls.

There Problem Solved
    Yeah, I thought of doing that, unfortunately, I do get a lot of calls from different states that are legit and not always from the same #, so that might not work that well for me.

I have slider lock. No calls. Are you sure your number didn't get published online somewhere

I would hope not. I did do a online search of it and didn't turn out any hits.

As the developer of SpeedNotes, I can give you my honest word that I do not share any of your personal information, unless you use my app to deliberately send it to someone that is!

It would be worth going into the permissions of the apps that you suspect and seeing if they have access to personal information granted. You should always be prompted by your BB whenever an app requires this or any other permission. Unfortunately, too many apps these days just prompt for every permission available instead of just asking for those that they need.

Russ.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    Thank you Russ, I appreciate the feedback. I didn't really think it was this one. I always go through all the permissions and deny those that require access to personal info, some apps however won't work.
    Last edited by socalbbguy; 09-30-11 at 05:08 PM.
    09-30-11 04:58 PM
    JaredCo and S4BB are already known to try to get your info. I Dino that either of them did this though.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    09-30-11 05:13 PM
    Google your phone number. Also, tell them that if they keep calling, you will charge them with harassment and fraud. The calls will stop once they get the message.

09-30-11 05:16 PM
    JaredCo and S4BB are already known to try to get your info. I Dino that either of them did this though.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    Really? Thanks for the heads up. I'll reconsider installing any of their apps again.

Google your phone number. Also, tell them that if they keep calling, you will charge them with harassment and fraud. The calls will stop once they get the message.

I did and it didn't turn out anything. I'm pretty sure one of these apps was the culprit because it happened the week after I installed these apps and in 3 years of having a blackberry and having this # for about 8 years, not one single telemarketer call.
    09-30-11 05:45 PM
    thankfully i've never had this happen to me with the very few apps that i have. BUT i can make a helpful suggestion to you: call 'do not call.gov' from your cell ph# and register your # on the list. heres the toll free# 1-888-382-1212

Make sure to call from the cell or landline you want to register to have the calls stop it does take 30days to become effective tho.
    09-30-11 05:50 PM
    thankfully i've never had this happen to me with the very few apps that i have. BUT i can make a helpful suggestion to you: call 'do not call.gov' from your cell ph# and register your # on the list. heres the toll free# 1-888-382-1212

Make sure to call from the cell or landline you want to register to have the calls stop it does take 30days to become effective tho.
    Thank you! I will do that. These people are getting on my nerves, even after telling them more than 5x already to stop calling, they continue to do so.
    09-30-11 05:54 PM
    Thank you! I will do that. These people are getting on my nerves, even after telling them more than 5x already to stop calling, they continue to do so.
    You can file an online complaint with the FCC for spam telemarketers that call mobile numbers.
    FCC Consumer Complaints
    09-30-11 05:57 PM
    You can file an online complaint with the FCC for spam telemarketers that call mobile numbers.
    FCC Consumer Complaints
    Thanks! I have made quite a few threats of filing this compliant and the calls so far have stopped.
    Last edited by socalbbguy; 07-05-12 at 02:38 PM.
    10-02-11 06:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD