Since there are so many threads of people complaining about losing certain apps on their Torch, here is the reason, how to avoid it and how to get them back.

First of all, the Torch already has App World, Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace pre-installed. All these apps are higher versions than the ones that are currently available for download and are integrated better with the new OS. When one tries to migrate from their current phone using the Device Switch Wizard, any of these apps that are installed on the current phone will damage the current installation on the Torch if you try and install them to the Torch. Apparently Desktop Manager doesn't recognize the discrepancy in versions and fails to skip the installation of older versions. Then you're left with no way to access these damaged apps.

Foresight solution - Before you connect your current device to your PC to make the switch, DELETE these apps from your current device and reboot it. THEN connect and proceed with the Device Switch (using Desktop Software 6, older versions will not recognize the Torch, I don't believe). All apps on the Torch should remain intact.

Hindsight solution - If you find you have lost any of these apps, first you must have Desktop Software 6 installed. Also make sure you have no other OS installations on your PC. Go to your control panel and click on programs and features. Let the list populate and look for BlackBerry DEVICE Software (NOT Desktop Software). If you have any device software installed, hilight it and uninstall it.

Go here to download the current OS 6:
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...E4F82F9F00E7D4
    Either save it to your PC to a spot where you will remember where it is, then run it to install the OS, or just select run (if you have this option, FireFox doesn't allow you to) and it will start the install after it finishes downloading.

After installing the OS, plug your Torch into the PC and open Desktop Software. Click on "Applications" in the left column and let the list populate. Once it reads your device, any of the apps that aren't installed correctly should say "upgrade" in the status column. Here you can also uninstall some pre-loaded apps by clicking the X in the Action column if there is one for the app.

Click Apply at the bottom right and after a reboot everything should be back to normal.
    08-15-10 11:34 AM
    Excellent post! I think the mods should "sticky" this one, at least for a while.
    08-15-10 11:43 AM
    Thanks for taking the time to explain this.

Does it work the same on a Mac as it does with a PC?
    08-15-10 05:26 PM
    Thanks for this information!
    08-16-10 11:16 AM
    Probably a dumb questions, but does reinstalling the OS reset the BB to it's original state? Will I have to have my BES administrator reactivate my Torch on our server?
    08-16-10 06:16 PM
    All data is backed up before the OS installed (good idea to backup separately), so you should retain BES settings.

On a more general note, after years of crackberryites coming up with good solid procedures for handling the BB OS, RIM comes along and throws a wrench in the works.
    08-17-10 06:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD