my fiancee has the same phone I do (8330) from verizon and she's a law student whose school allows her to have the school email forwarded to a gmail alias. What she's trying to do is get the gmail mobile app to push her email to her phone like the other accounts that we've set up for her on the device. Is there a way to do this? Right now it'll push when it wants to and will take around 30 minutes when it feels like it.

Thanks
    07-05-09 09:11 PM
    It won't push email currently, but it looks like there is plans for it.

Gmail BlackBerry app to get push, but only for Premier users | BB Geeks

**edit**

and I just thought....is it all Gmail that takes 30 minutes or just her school? It might be a limitation within that network.
    Last edited by Jim W; 07-05-09 at 09:26 PM.
    07-05-09 09:21 PM
    It won't push email currently, but it looks like there is plans for it.

**edit**

and I just thought....is it all Gmail that takes 30 minutes or just her school? It might be a limitation within that network.
    it's just the university email that's routed to a gmail alias. all the other mail comes in a reasonable time.
    07-06-09 07:07 AM
    I just did an experiment & sent an email that I use with the gmail account.
    I usually "Exit Gmail" the gmail app. & when I want to check email with the application I just start Gmail & hit refresh.
    But I left gmail application running in this experiment (No Exit, just hit the Escape Key -Key right of the track ball).
    Receiving the email was a little slow, 15/20 minutes but I did get a notification that I had an email.
    I can't tell you what this would do to battery life though if the gmail app was left "running".
    Hope this helps you...
    07-06-09 07:49 AM
    it does and I'll get her to try that, thank you
    07-06-09 08:00 AM
    I leave Gmail running almost always and notice little, if any, difference in battery usage. A quick way to see if you have any new emails is to click Refresh on the Gmail app menu.
    07-06-09 01:12 PM
    this seems to have worked thanks guys
    07-06-09 10:13 PM
    Why not just set up your gmail using BB's Email Setup Wizard. That way it'll push your emails to your Messages folder (along with your texts etc) instead of using the Gmail App.

I did an experiment myself. I have an alltel.blackberry.com account and a gmail account pushed to my Messages folder. Sent an email using a yahoo account to both at 839am and got them both in my Messages Folder at 840.

I had to refresh my Gmail App (which was running in the background) to get the new message. Once its in there it'll say gmail received the email at 839 but not necessarily push it to your Gmail App on your BB.
    07-07-09 08:53 AM
    You can also get a "personal" Gmail account and route everything through that account without having to keep an app open. There's an option in Gmail settings to perform this function.
    07-07-09 09:42 AM
    Why not just set up your gmail using BB's Email Setup Wizard. That way it'll push your emails to your Messages folder (along with your texts etc) instead of using the Gmail App.

I did an experiment myself. I have an alltel.blackberry.com account and a gmail account pushed to my Messages folder. Sent an email using a yahoo account to both at 839am and got them both in my Messages Folder at 840.

I had to refresh my Gmail App (which was running in the background) to get the new message. Once its in there it'll say gmail received the email at 839 but not necessarily push it to your Gmail App on your BB.
    we have that for the gmail accounts however this is a university email forwarded to a gmail account and the BB won't take the university email
    07-07-09 10:26 AM
    we have that for the gmail accounts however this is a university email forwarded to a gmail account and the BB won't take the university email
    But if you're forwarding the University email to a Gmail account.....then why do you need the Gmail app? You can still use the BB's native email functionality.

I'm confused as to what you're saying....but something's not adding up.
    07-07-09 10:35 AM
    Have her check with the University's IT dept. if she hasn't already. I had the same issue with mine, but the IT dept was able to give me BB specific instructions on how to forward my university email to my BB.
    07-07-09 10:41 AM

I'm confused as to what you're saying....
    that's because I'm not explaining it well because I'm not familiar with how she set this email account up. I'll have her check the thread later and see what I've said wrong and explain better
    07-07-09 11:52 AM
    Set the gmail account up for POP3 access on a regular computer (this is what makes it possible to get gmail through a remote client such as Outlook). I did this forever ago so that I could store my emails on my computer and see them when I'm not connected. Then on the BB, you can add the address in the setup wizard. I've never used the gmail app, and I get all my emails immediately.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-07-09 01:42 PM
    I checked my gmail account settings and im leaning towards the IMAP settings (not POP3) that need to be enabled and configured.

Ask your fiance to login to her gmail and check her Settings under Forwarding and POP/IMAP. Enable IMAP and click on configurations instructions link. You will find a link to configure your blackberry.

If you have already done the bb configuration like i think you said you have in your reply, then all you need to do is enable IMAP.
    Last edited by stengel680; 07-08-09 at 10:22 AM.
    07-07-09 07:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD