Hi,

Is there conection between alots of apps on your device to a laggy device?

Im talking about official RIM apps from app world, and im not talking about using all the apps at the same time, just installed.

Thanks
    04-09-10 08:17 AM
    Yes. The more apps you have loaded in Device Memory, the fewer 'routes' left for information to get back and forth. That's why app control should be exercised and Memory Optimization is recommended.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 04-09-10 at 08:25 AM.
    04-09-10 08:22 AM
    is there a recommended amount of installed apps?
    04-09-10 08:27 AM
    No, but there is a recommended amount of initial free memory for optimum performance: 15+ Mb.
    04-09-10 08:41 AM
    how can i check mine?
    04-09-10 08:54 AM
    Do a restart, then: Options / Status.

The 15+ Mb assumes you have make the following changes for memory optimization.

Camera / Options / Save to media card
    Media Player / Options / Device Memory Limit = 5 Mb
    ... / Reserve Pictures Memory = 0 Mb
    04-09-10 08:55 AM
    Go to options --> memory and under application memory free space is the amount you have left
    04-09-10 08:56 AM
    now i have 99580183 bytes, is that mean that i can install more and more apps while im keeping at least 15mb free, and my device will keep move fast and clear?
    04-09-10 09:01 AM
    and this memory will change when im actually using the app or it stays the same value since i installed an app?
    04-09-10 09:04 AM
    99.6 Mb of free memory is a good starting place.

You will notice, I specified checking memory after a restart. A BlackBerry will use and recycle memory as needed. That means the number will change in use, going down and up depending on the applications data needs. A restart purges all of the temp caches leaving the maximum amount of free space.

Some applications do not use data at all, others require a continuous stream of data and can use a lot of memory.

04-09-10 09:15 AM
    haha ok, thanks buddy!
    04-09-10 09:18 AM
    p.s

is there conection between alots of apps installed and battery life?

for exampel the new twitter is automaticlly checks for new tweets in 10 min, is it critical for battery life or negligible?

thanks again
    04-09-10 11:46 AM
    hey reed wont memory cleaner clean all of that instead of a restart?or will the restart do it better?
    04-09-10 05:00 PM
    Memory cleaner does nothing useful for the vast majority of BlackBerry owners. It's purpose to insure no sensitive information is left exposed on the clip board and a couple other secure areas.

Data caches are the big memory user, they are purged with a power on restart (battery pull).
    04-09-10 05:21 PM
    Do you know something about my battery life question?
    04-09-10 06:48 PM
    Do you know something about my battery life question?
    The number of apps installed is irrelevant in relationship to battery life.

Having them installed is meaningless except for their memory footprint. The only
    time an app affects battery life is when it is actually running and processing
    information. I have 48 apps on my 9700. With the 5 that always are resident
    in the background I have 6 3rd party apps that are also always resident.
    They have no affect my battery life.
    04-09-10 07:07 PM
    p.s

for exampel the new twitter is automaticlly checks for new tweets in 10 min, is it critical for battery life or negligible?

thanks again

The "RIM" apps will drain your battery the quickest. Examples: BBM(this will use more of your battery than any other app if you use it a lot.), Google Talk, Twitter (the newest client). If the app is published by Research In Motion, it will drain quicker. Good thing about these apps, is they usually do not give your phones any problems.
    04-09-10 07:27 PM
    The "RIM" apps will drain your battery the quickest. Examples: BBM(this will use more of your battery than any other app if you use it a lot.), Google Talk, Twitter (the newest client). If the app is published by Research In Motion, it will drain quicker. Good thing about these apps, is they usually do not give your phones any problems.
    That is nonsense. Please disregard this advise.
    04-09-10 07:30 PM
    I am working on getting you the proper source links to my post. This advice is not useless. The RIM apps are the "best" apps IMO, however, they DO drain your battery the quickest. Tests show that if you remove GTalk, BBM, Twitter, you will see a great improvement in battery life. Thanks.
    04-09-10 07:33 PM
    And....There is only one reason why RIM apps drain quicker. They are constantly running. This is the case in several 3rd party apps as well, however when someone asks for advice on apps draining battery life, i advised the best way i knew how. I am by no means discreditting RIM apps. I use BBM and Twitter all day. Again, my advice is not that RIM apps are "faulty or bad," but they DO in fact use more of the battery.
    04-09-10 07:38 PM
    They are constantly running. ...
    Of course they are, it is a multitasking OS.

Does the Sun Java VM service them when they are idle? No.

Do they poll a server regularly? No. That is the concept of "push" and that makes them Super Apps.

BlackBerry smartphone email, instant messaging and BlackBerry� Messenger are great examples of Super Apps that demonstrate many of the characteristics above.

Facebook� for BlackBerry� smartphones and MySpace� for BlackBerry� smartphones also demonstrate what’s possible with alerting, native app integration, social connectivity and more. Or try out some of the top apps in BlackBerry App World™ to see which of them are taking advantage of these great features and decide for yourself what makes an app a Super App.
    You claim some techincal expertise. Please post proof, or refrain from distracting the discusson at hand.
    04-09-10 07:45 PM
    p.s

thanks again
    Well apparently i cannot answer a single question on here without causing a riff with the moderators. I am referring to your question regarding RIM's new Twitter client when i say this: Yes, the more the app runs, the more battery it will use.
    04-09-10 07:54 PM
    Of course they are, it is a multitasking OS.

Does the Sun Java VM service them when they are idle? No.

Do they poll a server regularly? No. That is the concept of "push" and that makes them Super Apps.

You claim some techincal expertise. Please post proof, or refrain from distracting the discusson at hand.

And by your expertise i assume you mean copying and pasting the "app" comment from Blackberry's website? Super app is something used to describe how Blackberry feels about there OWN apps.

And for the user that asked a simple question, i was giving the advice that i had. Not by any means claiming to be an "expert" in the blackberry app field. And i sure wasnt discreditting any other users posts.
    04-09-10 07:57 PM
    by your expertise ...
    My expertise includes industry certifications, dating back to the mid 80's.

Yes, the more the app runs, the more battery it will use. ...
    We are doing the OP a dis-service by continuing this debate. Compared to the power used for Voice calls, the rest is noise.

Battery & Battery LifeBattery: 1500 mAh removable/rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Talk Time: Up to 6 hours (GSM and UMTS)
    Standby Time: Up to 21 days/504 hours (GSM), Up to 17 days/408 hours (UMTS)
    Music Playback Time: Up to 38 hours
    04-09-10 08:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD