Hi everyone, I recently purchased the activation code from Handango for Garmin Mobile Blackberry as I was impressed with the trial but that was when the nightmare began. The activation code sent to me from Handango did not work and I received an error saying 'The Activation Code entered is not valid'. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem. Handango customer service was not too helpful and Garmin is unable to help. Can anyone tell me if you've actually received a working code from Handango for this 3rd party software? I live in Canada hence had to turn to Handango. I am just curious is anyone had this issue that resolved in the end. Thanks for reading.
    09-02-08 01:28 PM
    My guess is it is probably PIN based and the code they sent doesn't match up with the PIN. They should be able to send out a proper code. If not the developer should definately be able to help. I had that happen to me once before and it was no problem at all for them to send me a valid code. It wasn't the same app or even a BB. It was for a palm device but a similar principle is used to generate activation codes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-03-08 12:38 AM
    So did this ever get resolved? I have a Telus 8130 Pearl. I bought Garmn for BB from Handango. It worked. BUT, the version you get from Handango is just version 4.0.100. Not the latest version from Garmin, which is version 5.0.1.

Anyways, I've gone back and forth with Handango and Garmin. Supposedly Handango will be given version 5.0.1 very soon, like "any day now" and I will get a free upgrade to 5.0.1 from Handango. We'll see.
    10-03-08 11:10 PM
    I've purchased Garmin Mobile from Handango for 8310 Curve and I had no problems. Pls let us know if you were able to get this resolved.

Asif9t9,
    Thanks for the info about version 5.01. Hopefully we will get the free upgrade

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-08 11:35 PM
    Does Garmin have a map also needed to be installed? Or is it on the air map? Thanks
    10-04-08 05:37 AM
    Maps do not get installed on your phone. I guess it keeps some stuff in a cache, but it's always downloading map data. You need a data plan.

Below is the email from Handango....

10/02/2008 12:10 PM

Hi,

I spoke with our Content Team Manager who handles the Garmin account and was informed that the 5.0 version should be uploaded to our system any day now - with the possibility of today. What I can do is send you a notification once this has been done and of course you will receive a FREE download for the 5.0 version.

Again, please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.
    Thanks,
    Monica
    10-05-08 05:15 PM
    I think this is fairly big news for Canadians buying Garmin for Blackberry via Handango.

Handango didn't notify me (not yet), but I just went to their website and when I went to download the trial of Garmin for Blackberry, it was a different file to download. 81xx224699.zip I have an 8130, btw.

So, when I loaded it up, sure enough it's Garmin for Blackberry Version 5.0.4.

I used the same registration code I got from Handango, to use on ver. 4.0.100, and it worked!! Version 5.0 is SO MUCH BETTER!!!
    10-06-08 07:20 PM
    where can i find a registration code?
    12-07-08 07:27 PM
    The activation code sent to me from Handango did not work and I received an error saying 'The Activation Code entered is not valid'.
    I ran into this same problem. Open a support ticket with Handango & make sure your PIN is in all CAPS. They generated a new code for me & it works fine now.

(Sorry, I didn't realize how old this thread was)
    12-08-08 12:48 AM
    I recently downloaded the Garmin product for my BB from the Garmin site. I liked it so I went to the Handango site and purchased a registration code. When I put the code in, I received an error that the code was not correct. After talking to a Garmin tech, I learned that Handango has a "Handango Branded" version which is "slightly different" from the version provided on the Garmin site. The code provided by Handango will ONLY work on the "Handango Branded" version!

So .... word to the wise. If you are willing to fully depend on Handango as your source of distribution for the Garmin product, then Handango is a fair option. Otherwise, buy it from Garmin and save yourself the hassle.

And for what it's worth, once I found out that there are differences, I kindly asked for my money back from Handango. They flat refused, even though my registration code did not work AND I did not obtain what I originally thought I purchased. So not only do they not disclose they are not selling the actual Garmin product, they also don't honor their return policy.
    02-07-09 04:19 PM
    I recently downloaded the Garmin product for my BB from the Garmin site. I liked it so I went to the Handango site and purchased a registration code. When I put the code in, I received an error that the code was not correct. After talking to a Garmin tech, I learned that Handango has a "Handango Branded" version which is "slightly different" from the version provided on the Garmin site. The code provided by Handango will ONLY work on the "Handango Branded" version!

So .... word to the wise. If you are willing to fully depend on Handango as your source of distribution for the Garmin product, then Handango is a fair option. Otherwise, buy it from Garmin and save yourself the hassle.

And for what it's worth, once I found out that there are differences, I kindly asked for my money back from Handango. They flat refused, even though my registration code did not work AND I did not obtain what I originally thought I purchased. So not only do they not disclose they are not selling the actual Garmin product, they also don't honor their return policy.

Other than the fact that Handango sometimes is a little slow in getting the most up to date version out, it's hard to believe that there are actual differences in the software (if you compare version to version). If you really have found specific differences (again, comparing version to version), what are they? I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on Garmin and saving 20 bucks from Handango is very tempting. However, I also don't want any issues when new maps come out or I want to update the version of my software.

For users who have bought Garmin from Handango, can you install the updates for free or are you stuck with whatever version you buy?
    02-14-09 06:52 AM
    02-15-09 12:57 AM
    With the Garmin annual, do the map updates cost extra? Or does it update when new streets are constructed for free?
    02-15-09 02:03 PM
    I'm not sure how often they update their maps but I know they have streets that my Tom Tom does not have.

As far as paying for them you would not. The maps are not downloaded to your BB so there would be no update to deal with on your end. I would assume that if they come out with a new software version we would have to pay for that though.

Bob
    02-15-09 02:22 PM
    I downloaded the 7 day trial from Garmin. I want to buy the activation code from Garmin (not Handango since I'm not reading great stuff about them). Will the Garmin work for real when I actually purchase it. I read somewhere that it may not but cannot find that link.

I just want to rid myself of my Garmin unit and just use my Storm but don't want to spend $79-99 and have issues and have wasted money. I hope this hasn't already been addressed - I can't find it.

So I'm with Telus in Canada. Thanks in advance
    04-01-09 06:59 PM
    search for amaze its free works just as good as garmin. i got screwed by garmin for the last time and cant wait till they go under
    09-07-09 12:41 PM
    I downloaded the 7 day trial from Garmin. I want to buy the activation code from Garmin (not Handango since I'm not reading great stuff about them). Will the Garmin work for real when I actually purchase it. I read somewhere that it may not but cannot find that link.

I just want to rid myself of my Garmin unit and just use my Storm but don't want to spend $79-99 and have issues and have wasted money. I hope this hasn't already been addressed - I can't find it.

So I'm with Telus in Canada. Thanks in advance
    I purchased mine through Garmin. It works great. Absolutely no problems installing and activating. I think it works as good as the handheld variety. As a side note, if you update your OS and lose it, they will send you a new code/program file as long as your pin is still the same. The only negative is it is only good on the phone you purchase it for. I am looking at getting a Storm 2 when it comes out and if I do, I have to purchase another copy of Garmin. Oh well, beats 10 bucks a month for VZnav. My two cents worth.
    09-07-09 01:04 PM
    I bought this from the UK site but cant see what difference it will make so

1/ there are no map updates, its a live system meaning you download the map you need, they update the server so you dont need an update you get it anyway.

2/ I bought the code on-line, got the link entered the code worked off the bat.

3/ No problem getting a new download if you do wipe the device but I have upgraded firmware without a problem and never needed to reload it. I've even had a new device under insurance and did the transfer device wizard and it never wanted activation on new phone.

4/ You can change device, I checked with Garmin before purchasing, although it says in their terms its at their descrtion I have a E-mail from their customer support saying I can change my device without any charge so long as the new device works on the same version of their software, ie Bold to 8900, which i did do.

It is not Pin based, I think its number based. Download link expires after xxx and activation code expires after xxx so you can only really put on one handset.
    09-07-09 02:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD