I've tried several cloud sync for BlackBerry, but there tends to be one that outshines the rest of them.

I've tried sync apps, such as Google Sync. All I ended up with is duplicate contacts and calendar entries. It also didn't sync the contact pictures I created for each contact.

Funambol was one of the best I've come across. It did an awesome job of keeping my contacts, tasks, memos, calendar, and pictures in sync.
    The the reason why I was looking for an alternative because they only offered a 3 month trial at the time. After the 3 months you could sign up for companies that used their app. AOL was one of the companies that used it. AOL offered contacts and calendar sync, but no task, memo, and picture sync.

It now appears they have removed the 3 month trial, and have now made it a life long account.

It worked flawlessly back then. I'm curious to see how it works with OS 6
    I hope it does. Guess I'll give it a go and see what happens.

Funambol: Solutions: Try Funambol: myFUNAMBOL Portal
    Last edited by cdf3; 01-30-11 at 12:49 AM.
    francesco.mapelli likes this.
    01-30-11 12:45 AM
    Hmm, this is the first I've heard about this application! As long as everything works like they say than this could potentially be legit!

Going to have to play with it some more to have a true opinion.

Thanks for sharing!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-11 01:11 AM
    It synced my contacts just fine with the Funambol app on my iPod Touch.
    It keeps stalling out for BlackBerry. Never had that problem when I used to sync my BlackBerry a year ago. Not sure if it's the new format of OS 6
    01-30-11 01:26 AM
    I couldn't get it to upload from my BB on os6 either.
    01-30-11 12:54 PM
    No luck on syncing for me either...

It synced like 5 random Contacts and that was about it. None of the other items it supposedly sync's worked. It says that it did within the app on my BB but nothing has been uploaded to their site (except the 5 random Contacts).

I'm assuming this app (and/or service) is relatively new because this thread was the first I had heard of it. If it did everything like it says it's suppose to, than I could potentially find this service useful. Until then, it'll just be another deleted app.

01-30-11 01:43 PM
    I've been using this app since Sept '09 full time as I was lucky to have registered in the initial beta release. I used it initially on a Storm 9500 and on a 9700 for the last 12 months.

It works beautifully to keep your Contacts, notes and photos in sync with desktop Outlook. No duplicate Contacts like you get with GMail. What I particularly like is when I'm out of the office taking photos of a site and when I get back to the office, the photos are waiting for me on my downloads folder.

Having said all that, with some carriers you need to have APN settings enabled as it doesn't use the Blackberry.net APN. For me on O2 IRE, it uses the "Internet" APN, which Funambol uses as part of the standard BIS data plan.

Last edited by CivilEx; 01-30-11 at 02:13 PM.
    01-30-11 02:00 PM
    Hi guys,

thanks for your interest in Funambol

we've done a good amount of testing on the app, and on our side it's behaving quite fine, but I'd be interested in some more details on what issues you're having... so we can fix them... so here is a (long) list of questions/comments for you

@Jleeblanch:
    - AFAIK bb OS 6 has the option of multiple address book, we do sync only one of the address books, if you have more than one, Funambol may be syncing the wrong one... the one with those 5 contacts... Can you confirm you have multiple address books, or some application that may have created another address book?

- There's the "reset" functionality, that allows to reset the server and align it with the client (i.e. if you do a reset from BB to server the server is emptied and filled with data coming from your BB) that may bring you to a stable situation, in case the previous point is not true and the issue you're having is that your device thinks to be in sync with the server but that's not true.

- the picture sync works on picture you take starting from the date you install the client... so you need to take a few pictures and then do a sync to have the pictures pushed to the server. (there is an option to include older pictures, if you prefer)

- tasks and notes are not visible on the my.funambol.com portal, you need a desktop client such as our outlook client to see that the sync was successful

- our app syncs the calendar associated to the default email address, if you have more than one email, you may have the events in calendar B, while we sync calendar A. I don't know if this is the case, but that can explain why you don't see the calendar entries, situation is similar to having multiple address books. Again, can you check if you have multiple calendars?

@all
    we'd appreciate if you could send the log when you have issues, there's a send log functionality inside the client...
    Together with the logs we'd like to receive as much detailed information as you are willing to share, including configuration, network, operator, device, os version, app version, the server you're syncing to (AOL? my.funambol.com? your own Funambol server? other syncml server?) and the steps that caused the unexpected behavior.

You can join our discussion list at bit.ly/fun-open-discuss to report your experience (and help us with bugfixing, if you want, as we're opensource) or post here, or contact me directly for any question / feedback you may have at mapelli at funambol dot com or on twitter @mapelli, or with a PM or anything you can think of.

waiting for your feedback!

Francesco Mapelli
    Funambol Community Manager
    Last edited by francesco.mapelli; 01-31-11 at 12:41 PM.
    klyx likes this.
    01-31-11 12:23 PM
    Funambol has been working great for me with outlook. Just a note - you can't sync funambol and DM.

01-31-11 12:54 PM
    Francesco,

Thanks for the useful information. I used the service in the past with no issues.
    Everything works for me except the Contact Sync. It will Send contacts from my device to Funambol servers. It would then Receive from Funambol servers, but that's when things don't quite work out. I have about 1,400 contacts in my Address Book. After receiving around 600 of the contacts the Sync process would stop and is never completed.
    I read a post online where others who had a rather large Address Book had similar issues.
    01-31-11 08:08 PM
    I couldn't get it to upload from my BB on os6 either.
    Finally got mine to sync.

Within the app:
    Menu > Reset > Next > From BB To Server

After doing that my address book has been in sync.
    If I make changes on my device, it will update within my online account.
    If I make changes within my online account, it will update on my device.
    The contact photos update as well.
    02-01-11 05:06 PM
    Happy to hear that,

with large address book the first sync takes longer, and if during the sync the phone has a connection problem (because of network/coverage) the sync may fail... from now on you should have only fast syncs and experience no further issues

cheers

f
    02-02-11 04:46 AM
    02-03-11 08:53 AM
    Tried Funambol and it worked fairly well once I got things set up. However, I decided not to use it as it was missing sync ability for some details such as categories, and attendees for calendar events. I synced between my BlackBerry/myFunambol/Outlook and it was important that the category information I set up for my contacts didn't get lost and that my calendar events with attendees didn't vanish.
    02-07-11 03:17 AM
    As I'm only on BIS and therefore missing an adequate OTA synchronization of my PIM data, I recently played around with several 3rd party solutions like google, syncamatic, soocial... but non of them was reliable and stable and/or even slowed down my blackberry significantly.

Since two days I'm now on funambol and that's really no comparison to all the others! Far more contact details are supported, no slowed down OS.. - it simply works

There are some minor limitations though, i.e. no support for appointment attendees (as mentioned before), no second first names for contacts, and somewhat I encountered problems with yearly repeating whole day events prior to 1970 (that's some of my birthday entries). But I can live with that..
    02-10-11 03:40 AM
    I've been trying this out for the past week. It does a good job from Outlook on my home PC to my Torch. But I have a work email exchange account that I'm tied into through my BIS to the office OWA. That means that I have to DM sync my phone to my work PC to sync up my contacts and calender.

That's all fine and all, but after syncing through Funambol my home contacts and calender, if I DM sync back to my work PC, it wants to delete all my recurring calendar items such as birthdays and anniversaries from my work calender which are all tied to my office email address. It's strange because those calendar items are all still on the phone and still tied to the office email address. Because of that, I've had to reconfigure DM at work to one-way sync from Outlook to phone.

Before, I had no problems DM syncing my home and work PC with the phone. And my work calendar items would transfer just fine to the home PC without messing anything up.

Contacts only doubled up once on the home PC when I first set up Funambol, but after resetting it, it seems to have done just fine since.
    02-10-11 05:53 PM
    Did anyone update the funambol bb client to the recently largely promoted new version (10.0.1)?

Done that two days ago and am encountering severe network errors. The client cannot establish a connection to the servers anymore.. I checked all the settings, but there isn't much to do.

Anyone with similar problems?

Edit: seems as funambol are currently doing some maintenance.. let's hope and see
    Last edited by megabus; 06-12-11 at 02:04 PM.
    06-12-11 02:02 PM
    ♒:ω̃̃ő:Oω̃̃·::♒, I used to use funambol years ago with my pearl without BIS, just a normal data plan. Monitoring.

06-13-11 05:05 AM
    Does funambol use bis data or can it use wifi? I no longer have unlimited data just 200mb. So I would like to wifi as much as possible but don't see a option for wifi access. Thanks
    07-15-11 02:00 PM
    @francesco, does funambol sync PIN entry ? i used to sync my curve 3g and my samsung sch-i509, with outlook, it works flawlesly. planned to run my own funambol community server for my organization if funambol can sync PIN entry on contacs , because plenty of my org members use blackberry
    02-07-12 11:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD