Hi,

with FileScout/FileScoutLite v2.9.0.5 you can now access all files (that are not DRM-locked) via WiFi from your PC or Mac - just via a modern Browser (Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari).

You can upload/download files via Drag & Drop or depending on the OS/Browsers limitations the alternative single file up and download could be used.

I have created a Video that demonstrate the main functionality:
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pXoszhQgvs?hd=1[/YT]

When you want to try the WiFi-Sharing you need to install first of all the latest FileScout/Lite release v2.9.0.5

FileScout @ AppWorld
    FileScoutLite @ AppWorld
    as alternative you can install it directly OTA from http://www.emacberry.com/ota/BBFileScout.jad

After you have updated/installed the core you need to install an additional Plugin OTA

To get the Plugin:
    1. Start FileScout
    2. Open the Options
    3. Select 'WiFi-Sharing Options'
    4. Press the 'Install Plugin' Button
    raino, sushistew and mark-d like this.
    03-16-12 10:07 AM
    Thanks. Is there a way to download an entire folder worth of files, instead of a each file one at a time?
    03-16-12 01:44 PM
    Sorry - cause thats all browser functionality its not possible to offer such a feature - for example apps like Dropbox do this by zipping the folder structure (on the server side) and then send the package in one go... you can dothe same on your blackberry device... with the only difference that the dropbox server can zip your folerstructure 'a bit' faster then your blackberry device.
    raino likes this.
    03-16-12 02:02 PM
    I need the ability to access PC files from my BlackBerry via WiFi. Is that not possible? Can I only work via web browser on my PC? Can I NOT access my PC file system with Filescout?
    03-16-12 02:47 PM
    I need the ability to access PC files from my BlackBerry via WiFi. Is that not possible?
    You need to find somebody who is willing to write a samba-server for the BlackBerry...

Can I only work via web browser on my PC?
    Yes - 'only' via a web-brower - but with Drag & Drop support...

Can I NOT access my PC file system with FileScout?
    Yes - you can not do this via WiFi - you always need to connect your device via the USB-Cable in this case...
    03-16-12 03:58 PM
    Hmm. I had not really looked at updates in ages. So I thought this was interesting. It was a bit confusing and I'm not sure that I even now fully understand but I did get it working, I believe and even captured a screenshot of my Vista desktop with the browser open showing my 9930's Camera Folder and overlayed over it, the image of the picture I highlighted and OPENED.
    03-16-12 07:01 PM
    Would you mind telling me what from your side was the confusing part - I would be happy to know what areas could be improved/adjusted tweaked... TIA
    Matthias
    03-17-12 02:46 AM
    I think just the setup steps and getting the 2nd module. I kept looking for the "wifi" on the menu but it was not there. You need to go into FileScout's options menu and turn it on. Maybe if the video had sound explaining what to do rather than just the soundless-video.

Oh, one other thing - is there a way to create a Static ip address? I just noticed it changed overnight (my bb phone turns off at night and on in the morning)

May I ask a semi-privacy question. I saw when using Firefox, that when opening my bbphone, it site is going to or getting something or sending something to YOUR site? I think the message might have been "Connecting to emac..." What is happening? Does your Emacs site capture anything from my bbphone????

This kind of works similarly to the app, Wifi Transfer but your interface is more friendly.
    03-17-12 09:13 AM
    I think just the setup steps and getting the 2nd module. I kept looking for the "wifi" on the menu but it was not there. You need to go into FileScout's options menu and turn it on. Maybe if the video had sound explaining what to do rather than just the soundless-video.
    Ok - got it - the Video demonstrate "how to use" it... and your had issues with actually getting it installed... [I am working right now on the manual sections...]

Oh, one other thing - is there a way to create a Static ip address? I just noticed it changed overnight (my bb phone turns off at night and on in the morning)
    If you want a Static-IP you need to configure this in your WiFi-Router/DNS - of course it makes a lot of sense to do this

May I ask a semi-privacy question. I saw when using Firefox, that when opening my bbphone, it site is going to or getting something or sending something to YOUR site? I think the message might have been "Connecting to emac..." What is happening? Does your Emacs site capture anything from my bbphone????
    Of course not... you can make use of plugins like HTTP-Fox (for FireFox) in order to check in detail what is happening...

So why your browser connects to emacberry.com? That's quite simple - the web page (that will be send from your device to the browser) makes use of plenty of additional resources (like images, css and javascript) - I decided to put these additional resources on my emacberry.com webserver (instead of adding them hardcoded into the plugin). This have multiple advantages:
    1. It's possible to add/modify the functionality and/or the visual representation without the need of building a new plugin [specially at the beginning I do expect some issues and required bugfixes]
    2. Your BlackBerry Device (running the main WiFi-Server) is not build for serving multiple resources in parallel - so in order to save your loved device, everything that could be externalized was externalized
    3. File size of the plugin is much smaller - simply cause all the resources are externalized

So again - I would actually going MAD myself, if a third party app would transfer any content from my BlackBerry to any server... As quick test (if you like) you simply can disconnect yourself from the internet (& clear the browser cache) - then you will see that the Plugin still works (expect for the drag & drop stuff) - but will look quite ugly...

I hope this will blow your concern away...
    03-17-12 09:45 AM
    I tried this yesterday and this works GREAT!!!
    So happy to have found this way of transferring my pictures that I seem to have stored all over on different computers to my phone, instead of having to plug in with a usb each time.

Fantastic work!!!! I appreciate this app and this ability very much!
    Thank you!
    03-17-12 09:56 AM
    So happy to have found this way of transferring my pictures that I seem to have stored all over on different computers to my phone, instead of having to plug in with a usb each time.
    Just the same for me... I just had the need three weeks ago - so I finally decided it to create this addon...

Thank you!
    Just help me to spread the news - let users know that this can be done - even with the free FileScoutLite Version (of course then without thumbnails for pictures)...
    03-17-12 10:00 AM
    I tried this yesterday and this works GREAT!!!

Thank you!
    WELL!!! A Jaydee stamp of approval is the finest accomplishment.

And, Matthias, thanks for the additional details. I've always liked FileScout and gpslogger although as my 9650/Bold got older, I tended to use them less. Gpslogger with my external bt gps (8830 which verizon would not allow the internal gps) was a constant companion in the Dolomites a few years back. And speaking of which - Jaydee has some of my photos - full circle.
    03-17-12 10:49 AM
    WELL!!! A Jaydee stamp of approval is the finest accomplishment.

And, Matthias, thanks for the additional details. I've always liked FileScout and gpslogger although as my 9650/Bold got older, I tended to use them less. Gpslogger with my external bt gps (8830 which verizon would not allow the internal gps) was a constant companion in the Dolomites a few years back. And speaking of which - Jaydee has some of my photos - full circle.
    F2, with your GPS you can find your way around the world!!!
    Just remember to take more pics for me when you travel!!!
    PS Matthias, I had been using the free version of File Scout and just bought the FULL version to always be able to take advantage of this feature and be able to preview my pics as well!!!
    03-17-12 10:57 AM
    this works on our playbooks as well if now no one has tried it.
    03-17-12 12:12 PM
    of course it works also on the PlayBook as well (but without Drag & Drop) - as long as you don't try to upload the DemoMovie or Song (they seams to be DRM locked - or what ever)...

It also works on the iPad (even if there is no upload from the iPad to your BlackBerry - but you can download anything from your device to the iPad)... the only thing that does not work (for what ever reason) is to try to access one BlackBerry device via the Browser of another BlackBerry device...
    03-17-12 12:55 PM
    this works on our playbooks as well if now no one has tried it.
    Yes, I should have mentioned that.

That's where the appearance is much nicer than Wifi-transfer. In wifi-transfer you need to use some scroll bars in that app which are very narrow and hard to use. And if you try scrolling, it responds too quickly and opens the file rather than scrolling.

Great job, Matthias
    emacf1 likes this.
    03-17-12 03:37 PM
    03-17-12 04:04 PM
    This is working great for transferring files!! I used to use FMP for file duties so I am just finding out what this app can do.

Sent from my BB Bold 9930 using Tapatalk
    03-25-12 02:17 AM
    Please note that there was a bug in the Plugin - thanks to F2 for reporting it and give me the chance to fix it...

A file that contained a space in the filename could not be downloaded from the BlackBerry� Device to your Webbrowser (Firefox) This have been fixed in the new version v1.0.8.5.

To update your Plugin simply open the FileScout WiFi-Sharing Options and press the "Check for Updates..." Button - and follow the instructions - just important to know/read is that you need to pick either the OS4.x or the OS5.x or higher which is matching your OS... The OS4.x does not include the WLAN-Monitor (to be able to autostart the Sharing-Server once you are in range of a specific WLAN-SSID)
    04-04-12 01:05 PM
    Please note that there was a bug in the Plugin - thanks to F2 for reporting it and give me the chance to fix it...

A file that contained a space in the filename could not be downloaded from the BlackBerry� Device to your Webbrowser (Firefox) This have been fixed in the new version v1.0.8.5.

To update your Plugin simply open the FileScout WiFi-Sharing Options and press the "Check for Updates..." Button - and follow the instructions - just important to know/read is that you need to pick either the OS4.x or the OS5.x or higher which is matching your OS... The OS4.x does not include the WLAN-Monitor (to be able to autostart the Sharing-Server once you are in range of a specific WLAN-SSID)
    Thanks.

com_emacberry_filescout_wifiplugin_hotspotclient.c od : what does it do?
    04-05-12 10:09 AM
    com_emacberry_filescout_wifiplugin_hotspotclient.c od : what does it do?
    That's the WLAN-Monitor (to be able to autostart the Sharing-Server once you are in range of a specific WLAN-SSID)
    raino likes this.
    04-05-12 10:52 AM
    I still think this feature of wifi sharing is the best thing since sliced bread!!! I use it all the time and its so easy!

Thank you!!!
    emacf1 likes this.
    04-05-12 11:07 AM
    I still think this feature of wifi sharing is the best thing since sliced bread!!! I use it all the time and its so easy!

Thank you!!!
    Agreed. This new feature has saved me sooo much time (and microSD card space!) I've been taking a lot of photos recently; now I just zip them up, and transfer away.
    04-05-12 11:15 AM
    I am very happy to hear that you like the new feature...

It's just did not start yet to pay... I just can guess it's simply cause not so many people are currently aware of this new functionality...
    04-05-12 11:47 AM
    I have a question about the Wi-Fi server feature. I have it set to start whenever I launch FileScout. Is there a setting to have the host URL automatically displayed upon start as well?
    09-17-12 11:08 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD