I'm trying to help a friend find a free text app for her blackberry. She has no mobile network, just on wifi for right now. It's been awhile since I've touched a Berry. (jumped ship to Android). Any suggestions are much appreciated!
    09-02-12 11:46 PM
    Hi! The one that I use the most and seems to be common to the major platforms is Whatsapp. It works both on wifi and on data plan. Instant messaging, you can send photos, video and music files and the notification is fine. I have a Bold 9900, my daughter has an HTC on Android and we use this app a lot. Well, there's also Google Talk, but I prefer whatsapp. All the best! John
    09-03-12 12:29 AM
    Hi! The one that I use the most and seems to be common to the major platforms is Whatsapp. It works both on wifi and on data plan. Instant messaging, you can send photos, video and music files and the notification is fine. I have a Bold 9900, my daughter has an HTC on Android and we use this app a lot. Well, there's also Google Talk, but I prefer whatsapp. All the best! John
    Does it support text to sms John?

Sent from my Google Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Running BAMF Paradigm 2.2.
    09-03-12 12:31 AM
    Most of the apps require the other user to have the app installed, like Whatsapp and Viber
    09-03-12 03:41 AM
    Does it support text to sms John?

Sent from my Google Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2 Running BAMF Paradigm 2.2.
    Look what is says on the official webpage of the app:
    "WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows you to exchange messages without having to pay for SMS. WhatsApp Messenger is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone and Nokia and yes, those phones can all message each other! Because WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that you use for email and web browsing, there is no cost to message and stay in touch with your friends.
    In addition to basic messaging WhatsApp users can create groups, send each other unlimited images, video and audio media messages."

So, it's free, unlike sms. It is reliable and again, I use it a lot. Once you've installed it, it checks your contacts lists and you can see who has it installed. Easier to use than Google Talk (my personal opinion). I really don't know exactly what you mean by "text to sms". Like BigWhiteUK said in his post, the other party must have it installed, too. Give it a try!
    09-03-12 03:54 AM
    Look what is says on the official webpage of the app:
    "WhatsApp Messenger is a cross-platform mobile messaging app which allows you to exchange messages without having to pay for SMS. WhatsApp Messenger is available for iPhone, BlackBerry, Android, Windows Phone and Nokia and yes, those phones can all message each other! Because WhatsApp Messenger uses the same internet data plan that you use for email and web browsing, there is no cost to message and stay in touch with your friends.
    In addition to basic messaging WhatsApp users can create groups, send each other unlimited images, video and audio media messages."

So, it's free, unlike sms. It is reliable and again, I use it a lot. Once you've installed it, it checks your contacts lists and you can see who has it installed. Easier to use than Google Talk (my personal opinion). I really don't know exactly what you mean by "text to sms". Like BigWhiteUK said in his post, the other party must have it installed, too. Give it a try!
    Wow,such a wonderful app,I will definitely try this app.Keep updating this type of info. in this forum.
    ioan_calin likes this.
    09-03-12 05:30 AM
    Whatsapp

Just dld it and already am "texting" my friend that has an Iphone

Seems great.

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    ioan_calin likes this.
    09-03-12 05:57 AM
    Been using this for a long time, works like a charm! Does not use much data from my BIS subscription and the best thing is that is common to all major platforms. Can send music/videos/photos with it, instant notification. Overall, great app!
    09-03-12 06:03 AM
    Whatsapp requires a BIS data plan to work. A person who is not on a "mobile network" (I think you mean a data plan?) will not be able to use it.

Google Voice is a text messaging service. I think it will work on WiFi only, but I can't confirm since I've always had a data plan since I've had this app. Good luck.
    09-03-12 03:01 PM
    Google Voice is a text messaging service. I think it will work on WiFi only, but I can't confirm since I've always had a data plan since I've had this app. Good luck.
    GVoice works over wifi. I have an app on my BB and it works great in the PB browser.
    09-03-12 03:13 PM
    No, you don't need BIS for whatsapp to work, it works just as well on any kind of mobile data plan or wifi. I sometimes use Google talk, but I prefer whatsapp, because I like the interface and I can check my contacts and see who has it. And of course, there's always yahoo messenger as mobile app.
    09-03-12 03:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD