I, like many other Sprint users, have been cut off from tethering my BB Pearl. Unfortunately, I'm unable to even purchase the option to tether because I use the Everything Data plan.

There's a million-and-one posts on here about Tetherberry, but I'm curious if anyone is working on a free/open source project to do the same thing? Anyone know? I'm hesitant to buy Tetherberry in case Sprint figures out a way to shut it down, but this is unlikely, look how long it took them to release the newest 4.5 OS!

Thanks!
    10-10-09 07:10 PM
    strange my friend I too am a sprint user and I am tethering as I type... How did they cut you off?

I use the sprint smartview program that they offer off of Sprint - Software Downloads - Select your device type
    10-11-09 03:39 AM
    I use that same program and they cut me off. Rep. Said they updated there system from none paying users. And the next round will cut everyone off no paying for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-09 06:19 AM
    Use the set-up in the how to sub-forum. You can actually set up tethering manually, and won't be cut off then.

Also, you have the option of downloading the 5.01 beta of the Desktop Manager, which works well for me, and has a internet sharing option built in (sort of like HTC phones have had for a while). It works great and is free. I never understood why people would shell out 50 dollars for TetherBerry when it is clearly overpriced ( took me 2 minutes to set up tethering before I got DM 5.01).

10-11-09 10:20 AM
    Use the set-up in the how to sub-forum. You can actually set up tethering manually, and won't be cut off then.

Also, you have the option of downloading the 5.01 beta of the Desktop Manager, which works well for me, and has a internet sharing option built in (sort of like HTC phones have had for a while). It works great and is free. I never understood why people would shell out 50 dollars for TetherBerry when it is clearly overpriced ( took me 2 minutes to set up tethering before I got DM 5.01).
    We cannot use the DUN set up or DM 5.01 to get free tethering in Sprint.
    It's over for us....and it will be over for you soon too.

You will pay for tetherberry or another program to tether in the future. Don't criticize those of us who have been cut off and were forced to find an alternative. When you get cut off. You will know what we are experiencing.
    10-11-09 11:53 AM

Most carriers, Verizon, Telus, Bell, etc can differentiate from on-device and tethered data. Some carriers will prohibit tethering without a tethering plan and others will charge a high per mb charge for when you do tether (like Telus at $8/mb). Tetherberry allows you to mask the data so that it appears as on-device data and avoids charges from the carrier.

To the OP, I think it would be difficult to find a free alternative, as the data actually has to go through a server before reaching your phone. Tetherberry utilizes its own servers, hence the need to charge for the app.

10-11-09 12:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD