hey
    whats up everyone??
    i came across a group on Facebook that one of my buddies joined and I thought i would share with the rest of you. It hasn't been released yet but the person that created the group is saying within the next couple of days the first Beta will be release...supposedly it uses about 1KB of data to initiate the call, rest is all done using traditional PSTN...the link for the group is below

Login | Facebook
    03-09-09 09:47 PM
    it is from dLine.cc
    has anyone heard about this?? :S
    03-09-09 10:40 PM
    I joined the group for the heck of it. The concept of free long distance on a cell is great.
    I did a little reading in the group and investigated the site.
    dline.cc is a calling card company.

The FB group briefly talks how it works but clarity, it has not. They say that for this to work all you need is a data plan, then it says that it uses your talk time minutes????

They are planning to launch the beta this weekend, only deal is you have to pay to try the beta. The more people in the group, the cheaper the beta version will be.

Now correct me if I am wrong but paying for a beta version? My knee **** reaction is that I am paying to be a tester, hence paying for an application that could possibly be junk? Clue me in here people.....
    03-10-09 08:15 AM
    but clarity, it has not. They say that for this to work all you need is a data plan, then it says that it uses your talk time minutes????
    I've built systems like this before, basically the way it works is:

1) You enter the phone number you want to call (and possibly your number as well) into the app.
    2) The app relays that info to their application (via data)
    3) The app calls you and establishes a connection (talk time,) then calls the third party and bridges the call.

You could of course just buy their calling card, and dial their 800# instead. The only benefit to this is you pay once for the app (for now...) But there is likely more in it for them, than just the one time app price.
    03-10-09 09:29 AM
    Thanks for the information. Something seemed hinky, so that is why I asked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-09 11:02 AM
    you got a point though....i have never seen a company charge people for a beta release :S
    03-10-09 12:52 PM
    you got a point though....i have never seen a company charge people for a beta release :S
    QFT................
    03-12-09 07:42 AM
    Its not FREE if you pay a monthly fee as they are saying... last time I checked $3.95 doent equal free
    03-12-09 10:09 AM
    Ya...I starting to hate this now cause the guy keeps changing things like wtf?? Stick with one thing and stop confusing people...he should have created a price plan and all the info before even creating the group :S

03-12-09 10:43 AM
    Ya...I starting to hate this now cause the guy keeps changing things like wtf?? Stick with one thing and stop confusing people...he should have created a price plan and all the info before even creating the group :S

i get emails everytime they change something like the title of the group and its annoying me.

i know the app hasn't been released yet but dammit, leave the group alone as it is or close it *sigh*
    03-12-09 12:45 PM
    Not for nothing, but doesn't everyone get free long distance with their nationwide cellular plans?
    03-12-09 01:07 PM
    most plans shud be nationwide, unless ur from a regional carrier with a regional plan
    03-12-09 02:46 PM
    Not for nothing, but doesn't everyone get free Long Distance with their nationwide cellular plans?

Yes, you are absolutely right about the free long distance with their cell plans.
    One must always read the fine print...
    04-07-09 05:07 PM
    um, i can call anywhere in the us and canada for free...
    04-08-09 11:28 AM
    There is another similar service out there. I can't post the link, but if you go to startelecom.ca > services, you'll be able to find it easily...
    04-21-09 05:35 AM
    the site stated "Calls placed at our LOW LONG DISTANCE RATES"

Im not seeing "FREE" as your post states.
    Last edited by jackm3; 04-21-09 at 06:29 AM.
    04-21-09 06:26 AM
    There are a couple of these around, but they are never really FREE.

There is always some sort of catch, and in the past even if they were free they didn't always work first time so you spent ages re-trying.

To me that costs my time so I would count it as free.
    04-21-09 08:35 AM
    There are a couple of these around, but they are never really FREE.

There is always some sort of catch, and in the past even if they were free they didn't always work first time so you spent ages re-trying.

To me that costs my time so I would count it as free.

Correct, if the long distance is free, they are overloading their servers sacrificing quality to server their hidden agenda.
    08-17-10 11:57 AM
    pay for a beta.......riiiiiiiight
    08-17-10 07:38 PM
    If it sounds too good to be true, well you know the rest! Stay away!
    08-17-10 09:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD