All credit to RIM for offering a selection of free apps to compensate for the outage period, but am I alone in feeling that the whole excercise has left Blackberry users feeling short-changed?

As BB users will be well aware, apps cannot be saved to the media card, and so it will be very unlikely that all six apps will be able to be downloaded before the device memory runs out.

Luckily, the apps provided by Blackberry so far for their giveaway are all awful and can be uninstalled with no great loss to anyone's conscience.

Would it not have been better if Blackberry, rather than offering a pile of pointless drivel, offered to foot the bill for a paid download that a user REALLY wanted to use?
    11-13-11 10:37 AM
    I can see your point, but it just would have cost too much..

The fact is RIM has stuck a deal with these specific app developers to offer their apps for free for the promo period, a deal in which RIM is paying them a flat rate, or very little per download.. They could not sustain paying the retail value for each download for what ever app you choose to whatever developer..
    11-13-11 10:41 AM
    As BB users will be well aware, apps cannot be saved to the media card, and so it will be very unlikely that all six apps will be able to be downloaded before the device memory runs out.
    Say what??? my 9330 has the same memory your 93oo does and I have 47 apps installed with over 205mb of memory free.

What the heck do you have loaded on your device that is taking up so much space?
    11-13-11 10:44 AM
    I can see your point, but it just would have cost too much..

The fact is RIM has stuck a deal with these specific app developers to offer their apps for free for the promo period, a deal in which RIM is paying them a flat rate, or very little per download.. They could not sustain paying the retail value for each download for what ever app you choose to whatever developer..
    The point is, that the offered apps are pointless and so RIM are giving nothing away that anyone would want.

All I'm suggesting is, that if RIM were genuinely wanting to give away something, then give something that is wanted, even if it is only a subsidy towards an app.

And to the guy who is running 47 apps, well done and please post some of your secrets!
    11-13-11 10:52 AM
    What? Have you tried installing more than just a few apps? I have 79 installed on my 9800 with ~160 MB free. Most apps are only around 1 MB or less, the largest I remember installing was around 3 or 4 MB.

I've been using Drivesafe.ly daily so that email sender names are read out to me. I'm no longer unholstering my BB every ten minutes to check if an email needs an immediate response. I tried VLingo but it wasn't for me, however it's kind of a lesser Siri and that's really popular with some people (not for me, either). And who doesn't like Bejewelled?!
    11-13-11 11:22 AM
    Uninstalled DriveSafely as its a pain in the arse, consistently (every day) announcing an upgrade and I found it horrible to use.

Bejeweled is super, but the BB version is rubbish.

But I'm intrigued - any possibility of a list of these 47 or 79 apps?

I have 22 and get warnings on downloading that I have under 5mb space remaining.
    Last edited by steveraven; 11-13-11 at 12:21 PM.
    11-13-11 12:19 PM
    Ah, problem solved.

My 9300 has 256mb memory whereas the 9330 and the Torch have 512mb
    11-13-11 12:33 PM
    Ah, problem solved.

My 9300 has 256mb memory whereas the 9330 and the Torch have 512mb
    that is odd, the 9300 is the GSM version while the 9330 is the CDMA version. I know CDMA takes more memory to run but didn't think it would be that big a difference.
    11-13-11 01:02 PM
    To each his own!
    I don't think RIM is expecting everyone to download and keep all all 6 free apps.
    I do like the fact I can try all these free premium apps so far and then easily uninstall any that does not suit my needs/fancy
    Guess what, I really like 3 out of the 4 so far and am keeping em. Best so far is Shazam.
    Also despite what OP is going on about these apps have not taken much from my memory space.
    I guess some people are expecting too much.
    11-13-11 01:07 PM
    Someones smoking some funny stuff here if you think the 9900 and the 9930 have different amounts of storage. According to RIM its 768mb of ram for both devices minus the space for the OS. There's no way in h*ll that the cdma version of the OS is nearly double the size of its gsm counterpart.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    its not the 9900 and 9930 it's the 9300 and 9330 (both curves) and Rims Spec page confirms the difference in memory on the units.
    11-13-11 01:22 PM
    All credit to RIM for offering a selection of free apps to compensate for the outage period, but am I alone in feeling that the whole excercise has left Blackberry users feeling short-changed?

Luckily, the apps provided by Blackberry so far for their giveaway are all awful and can be uninstalled with no great loss to anyone's conscience.

Would it not have been better if Blackberry, rather than offering a pile of pointless drivel, offered to foot the bill for a paid download that a user REALLY wanted to use?
    The real main point should be to get over it already... OK so RIM had an outage that cost them and users some problems for a period of time and they reached out and gave away some apps for nothing, they really did not have to do anything but say Sorry it happened but they did more whether you like the apps or not.

It is also not going to be the last time this happens either and not just with RIM. Apple had an outage on icloud and you know what they gave everyone.... NOTHING!! They moved on and nobody said anything.

There have been so many threads on this subject thatr instead of searching someone starts another thread for no reason so lets all move on and either use the apps they gave you or don't, Your choice.
    Last edited by Jaguarr40; 11-13-11 at 02:33 PM.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    11-13-11 01:23 PM
    its not the 9900 and 9930 it's the 9300 and 9330 (both curves) and Rims Spec page confirms the difference in memory on the units.
    My bad, I misread it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-11 01:44 PM
    I call Troll on the OP.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    11-13-11 01:54 PM
    Yes, you are alone.

The free apps have already paid off for me. I was playing NFS and my wife wanted my PB to play Bejeweled. I handed her my Torch. Win-Win!
    11-13-11 02:05 PM
    I have no idea why some people feel "short-changed" when they are getting something for free. Especially when RIM did not have to do it in the first place. I think RIM should not have started this in the first place, so people would not feel the sense of entitlement they now do. I bet because of this, RIM will never offer anything like this again...

The free apps have separate SKUs assigned to them they will be available within your "MyWorld" list for re-download. I don't see a need to have every app on your device. A user can also use the CB site to educate themselves on how to back up 3rd party apps for future use, instead of using the forums for complaining about free stuff.

Also, why would someone want every app on your device if they dislike them???

I have no idea why these complainers constantly say RIM should give them credit towards applications of their choice. There is no current credit/coupon system implemented in AppWorld. If the system is not there to do so, it just simply is not there. Simple as. Period.
    11-13-11 02:17 PM
    I have no idea why some people feel "short-changed" when they are getting something for free. Especially when RIM did not have to do it in the first place. I think RIM should not have started this in the first place, so people would not feel the sense of entitlement they now do. I bet because of this, RIM will never offer anything like this again...

The free apps have separate SKUs assigned to them they will be available within your "MyWorld" list for re-download. I don't see a need to have every app on your device. A user can also use the CB site to educate themselves on how to back up 3rd party apps for future use, instead of using the forums for complaining about free stuff.

Also, why would someone want every app on your device if they dislike them???

I have no idea why these complainers constantly say RIM should give them credit towards applications of their choice. There is no current credit/coupon system implemented in AppWorld. If the system is not there to do so, it just simply is not there. Simple as. Period.
    I agree. The cheapskates of the world have gotten together to bash something they are getting for free.
    Seriously, its like a beggar rejecting chicken cos he wants a steak.
    Its FREE folks. You were not entitled to it. Your contract is NOT with RIM. You dont have any transaction with RIM. This is a GIFT. You don't question a gift. You take it and say "Thank You".
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    11-13-11 02:58 PM
    You can't save apps to the memory card even on the new BBs? OMG. I have 183 apps (some are over 500mb) and 8GB of music on my iPhone with 15.7 GB to spare.
    11-13-11 04:59 PM
    You can't save apps to the memory card even on the new BBs? OMG. I have 183 apps (some are over 500mb) and 8GB of music on my iPhone with 15.7 GB to spare.
    Unless Apple gave you some of those apps due to a Siri, iCloud or iMessage outage, I fail to see the relevance to the topic at hand.
    11-13-11 05:07 PM
    Discussed in many threads already.

And it's hardly a debacle.
    11-15-11 05:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD