if you were used to using datebk6, which PIM do you use on the bb?
    01-02-09 01:12 AM
    Unfortunately I haven't found something to replace DateBk for the blackberry. This is the one application I truly miss from Palm OS.

If you find anything close, please update this thread to share the knowledge!

Thanks,

MB
    01-02-09 10:49 AM
    i did communicate with pilimico (sp) when i was forced to let go of my palm. they do expect to have bb (non-storm) version but couldn't say when. i've been searching the bb PIM apps, but none seem to fit the bill as well as datebk. maybe if the old datebk users email them, they'll push it up in priority.

ditto if you come across something that may fit the bill. right now, although bb bold is really nice and i like it, to me, it feels like a fancy phone without a really good PIM. didn't realize how good an integrated product (datebkx) it was. *sigh*
    01-02-09 12:32 PM
    You might want to take a look at Pocket Informant. It's what I use on my Windows Mobile devices. PI on the BB is very new and it doesn't have all the features of the WM version but it's a start. I believe the demo is for 15 days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-02-09 12:41 PM
    Crimson- thank you very much. I'm not sure how I missed pocket informant before. I thought I tried all the decent 3rd party PIMs but I guess not. I just downloaded the trial and it looks very promising from a quick skim. The thing I missed most from DB was floating appointments. It looks like PI will at least do floating to dos so that's a good start.

Thanks again for the good lead

MB

01-02-09 08:58 PM
    I too miss my Palm Treo Datebook6. What I miss most is the ability to use icons on the monthly calendar. This gives me a quick glance as to what is coming up. I have looked a few months ago and nada. Anyone know of any calendar programs for the BB that allows this??
    01-03-09 04:03 PM
    Just tried this in Pocket Informant (had to download the 260kb +/- icon pack) and it appears it is not possible to see the icon on the actual box for a given date on a month calendar display. Days with appointments are bolded, and the list of appointments with times and icons is shown on the bottom of the page, below the calendar, when a given day is highlighted with the trackball.

I agree this would be a nice option, but given the amount of screen real estate on my pearl (as compared to my last palm - a Tungsten E) I'm not sure how practical it really would be. Even on the week display where the icon is shown, it isn't really all that legible. Might be better on a curve or bold though.

Though I like icons for ease of IDing the category of a given appointment, I think color coded highlight bars are more practical. this works quite well in the week view of PI. It would be nice to color code the boxes on the month view calendar, but I suspect this would start to get out of control if you had more than 2 or 3 different categories of appointments on a given day.

Sorry for the long-winded response...hope it helps you out. FWIW, after about a day of on and off playing with PI I'm leaning towards purchasing it as it is by far the most configurable PIM I've seen for BB.

MB
    01-03-09 05:05 PM
    What I miss most from DB6 is the Snooze options it had. They just came out with a Desktop calender they say will be able to sync with all operating systems, symbian, Blacberry ect. They will also come out with a Blackberry handheld version soon. Now if only someone can come out with A TAKEphONE for BB...

01-03-09 05:37 PM
    PI does have a custom snooze option that allows for the selection of preset snoozes from 5 min to 24 hrs for each alarm activation that is accessible from a pulldown menu on the alarm screen. Better than the stock by a bit I guess.

01-04-09 03:03 PM
    Ok. Some more info. To get the custom snooze option to come up you have to set PI to manage alarms for appts and to dos. However when I do this I get no audible alarm. The alarm activation window does pop up, but no sounds. Also the backlight does not light. I can't seem to find any settings in PI for alarm tones etc either. Will keep looking and may contact them.

EDIT: the above was a user error, as I failed to RTFM (or RTF release notes in this case) as the alarms for PI are set in the device profiles.

This is nice in that it allows for easy silencing of alarms by profile switching, but unfortunately it precludes the ability to have custom alarms based on event/to do category or on an individual event/to do basis. I think I will submit a feature request for future releases.
    Last edited by Mainiak Blaniak; 01-04-09 at 03:47 PM.
    01-04-09 03:22 PM
    Former DBk6 user. I now use an RTM/Google Calendar combo.

On the Palm port, the biggest competitor to DBk6 was probsbly Agendus from Iambic. They do have a BB port.
    01-04-09 04:31 PM
    Thanks you so much, this is very close to what i'v been looking for, it will definitely do until DateBK comes to Blackberry.
    I actually tried the Agendus for BB, its really behind, not at all like the Palm version, they are probably porting it to BB but very slowly.
    Last edited by mahootzki; 01-04-09 at 04:54 PM.
    01-04-09 04:47 PM
    Former DBk6 user. I now use an RTM/Google Calendar combo.
    What does the RTM stand for and what is it?
    01-04-09 04:48 PM
    for any of the existing bb PIMs, which ones, if any, allow you to tie a calendar entry to a contact and then be able to maintain history of each touch with a specific contact? thanks
    01-04-09 07:25 PM
    What does the RTM stand for and what is it?
    Remember The Milk: rememberthemilk.com. Web based task manager. Someone made an awesome, free BB port -- BBRTM -- that syncs OTA (kinda like Google sync): rtm4bb - Google Code.

The one, current drawback (for me, at least) is that you cannot enter or edit tasks on the BB. Not yet. The developer is working on it.

Also, for RTM, there is a BB sync utility that you can purchase. It syncs your RTM tasks with the built-in BB task utility. I don't use that, since my original gripe with the BB Tasks was that it did not handle recurring tasks like DBk6 did, so I deleted it from my phone.

So, I use to web based applications that sync with my BB to handle tasks and calendar.
    01-04-09 07:54 PM
    Thanks you so much, this is very close to what i'v been looking for, it will definitely do until DateBK comes to Blackberry.
    I actually tried the Agendus for BB, its really behind, not at all like the Palm version, they are probably porting it to BB but very slowly.
    As a former Palm Centro user, and a user of Agendus as far back as my Palm Tungsten E/E2/TX days, it's BB version is very sub-par.

So, PI lets you set a snooze other than 5 minutes? If so, that's the one for me. Any feedback on who it works with the Storm2 (9550).

TIA
    02-23-10 07:43 AM
    I'll answer my own question. I downloaded the app today and it does support multiple snooze options. BUT, by using PI's alarm system removes the alarms on my calendar items on the desktop. I'm using BusyCal on the Mac, but that's not the issue, it's PI (or RIM OS, not sure which yet)

Are there applications that will allow you to choose the amount of snooze time on the trigger of an alarm, and WON'T remove the alarms on your desktop for the Storm 2?

By changing alarms back to the phone (and loosing the multi-snooze options), it did re-enable the alarms on my desktop. Since I sync my desktop calendar with my wife's computer (including alarms) that's a deal breaker.
    02-23-10 06:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD