Does anyone know about any apps for the integrated radio tuner that is in 7.1? I was checking the Blackberry Web site and it showed all the features of 7.1 and I didn't know how to get the tuner to work on my 9850. Will there be an app release for this in the future? I think the new Curve is coming with it pre-installed.
    01-11-12 07:34 AM
    I saw the same thing on BB's website after seeing BB promote OS 7.1 in AppWorld.

BlackBerry OS 7.1

I'm eagar to use the fm radio on my Bold 9930 (using Sprint's 7.1 for now...)

Thanks for any info on this!
    01-13-12 06:18 PM
    you shoud read the fine print on the blackberry website, not all the new features of 7.1 work on all phones, like NFC and bberry tag doesnt work on the 9810
    01-13-12 07:34 PM
    I think the FM radio is in the OS 7 Curve devices only.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    01-13-12 08:07 PM
    you shoud read the fine print on the blackberry website, not all the new features of 7.1 work on all phones, like NFC and bberry tag doesnt work on the 9810
    I read the fine print on the site. They don't specifically mention which of the newer devices actually support FM radio. And there's no number anywhere to be found in the description of the FM radio (as there is for some of the other features). Here's the fine print:

1 Dependent on carrier and device capabilities.
    2 NFC technology not enabled for all carriers. Please check with your service provider for availability. NFC technology is only available on BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 and BlackBerry Curve 9350/9360/9370 smartphones.
    3 BlackBerry Traffic requires i. Activation with data plan including Internet browsing capability ii. A BlackBerry smartphone with at least 64-MB of built in application memory (with at least 1.1 MB available), iii. BlackBerry� Device Software v4.56 or higher, iv. A GPS-equipped device.
    4 Liquid Graphics technology is not available on BlackBerry Curve 9350/9360/9370 smartphones.
    5 Augmented Reality is not available on BlackBerry Curve 9350/9360/9370 smartphones.
    6 HD video recording is not available on BlackBerry Curve 9350/9360/9370 smartphones.
    7 Not all apps and services are pre-installed on all BlackBerry smartphones. Please check with your service provider for availability.
    8 The BlackBerry Protect application is available at no charge to the user. Check with your service provider to determine costs that may be associated with downloading and using the software.

This seems to leave room for there to be an FM antenna on the Bold 9930, but everything I've read so far has been very vague...
    01-22-12 11:35 AM
    I read the fine print on the site. They don't specifically mention which of the newer devices actually support FM radio. And there's no number anywhere to be found in the description of the FM radio (as there is for some of the other features). Here's the fine print:

1 Dependent on carrier and device capabilities.
    2 NFC technology not enabled for all carriers. Please check with your service provider for availability. NFC technology is only available on BlackBerry Bold 9900/9930 and BlackBerry Curve 9350/9360/9370 smartphones.
    3 BlackBerry Traffic requires i. Activation with data plan including Internet browsing capability ii. A BlackBerry smartphone with at least 64-MB of built in application memory (with at least 1.1 MB available), iii. BlackBerry� Device Software v4.56 or higher, iv. A GPS-equipped device.
    4 Liquid Graphics technology is not available on BlackBerry Curve 9350/9360/9370 smartphones.
    5 Augmented Reality is not available on BlackBerry Curve 9350/9360/9370 smartphones.
    6 HD video recording is not available on BlackBerry Curve 9350/9360/9370 smartphones.
    7 Not all apps and services are pre-installed on all BlackBerry smartphones. Please check with your service provider for availability.
    8 The BlackBerry Protect application is available at no charge to the user. Check with your service provider to determine costs that may be associated with downloading and using the software.

This seems to leave room for there to be an FM antenna on the Bold 9930, but everything I've read so far has been very vague...
    From the Inside BlackBerry Blog post announcing OS 7.1:

FM Radio: The BlackBerry 7.1 OS update will let BlackBerry� Curve� 9360 and 9380 smartphone customers enjoy FM radio. The Curve models include a built-in FM radio so you can tune in to local FM radio stations. Simply plug in your headset to boost the reception (it acts as the antenna). Plus, no data usage or data plan required!
    01-22-12 03:38 PM
    Iheart radio can be downloaded directly to the BB9930 through the browser and hitting the download button they provide. Reboot to activate. FM and AM actually come in quite nice. I like to listen talk radio while out mowing the lawn. My problem is having the new Motorola S-10HD Bluetooth headset and not getting the radio to come through the headset. My earbuds work but no bluetooth headphones
    02-21-12 04:39 PM

[SIZE="2"]1 Dependent on carrier and device capabilities.

In addition to those devices listed, 9380 and 9790 also have NFC capability.
    02-21-12 06:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD