Hi,

Thanks to everyone who helped me find FlyCast

I'm having some difficulty. Assuming two examples: BBC Online and BBC Radio 1 FM.

BBC Online works and the sound is slightly distorted. FlyCast is downloading faster than playback so the sound glitches are not from buffering. It just sounds distorted and I wish there was an option to change the audio quality.

BBC Radio 1 does not play. It gets stuck while ...buffering... and does not recover. Is the data taking a much longer path because its a broadcast station instead of online? I wish there was an option to see the differences and exclude unwanted sets from the search results.

Also, sometimes the search doesn't give any feedback. It sometimes says 'no search results' and at other times its just blank and I don't know if its waiting or if it broke? Sometimes it finds stations and sometimes it does not. This seems intermittent.

Another annoyance is that it (temporarily) stores the APN settings internally rather than query the OS. It doesn't remember those settings and they need to be typed in every time the app is loaded. It doesn't save my username/password either. That's a lot of typing.

The site claims the app is completely free. After a few hours after installing, nearly all of the features dissapear (including the radio search) and one of the few things that remains visible is an upgrade button. Given so many bugs, its not worth paying for. Connecting and disconnecting using an unmarked button results in rediscovering the options that disapeared.

FlyCast save streams for recalling. The amount of free space toggles between 20:00:00 and 50:00:00 with the only pattern being related to whether or not the search features are hidden or visible (the counters do not change when its recording). I suggest someone at FlyCast needs to take a second look at their UML activity and state diagrams.

Could you please tell me if there are relevant features/options/settings that I have not seen in FlyCast and that might help?

Many thanks
    Last edited by flop; 03-03-10 at 11:40 PM.
    03-03-10 09:54 PM
    Apologies, can not help with any of your issues/Q's.

I'm curious as to why you chose flycast? Did you also try Moodio.fm (and/or wunder radio)?
    03-04-10 05:46 AM
    I tried some others and many (apparently) don't work outside the USA.

Moodio relies on the browser and I would like to use the browser for other things. Not tried wunder radio - will take a look

Edit: Oh that's much better and worth paying for. Thanks
    Last edited by flop; 03-04-10 at 06:30 AM.
    03-04-10 06:19 AM
    Hi,

Thanks to everyone who helped me find FlyCast

I'm having some difficulty. Assuming two examples: BBC Online and BBC Radio 1 FM.

BBC Online works and the sound is slightly distorted. FlyCast is downloading faster than playback so the sound glitches are not from buffering. It just sounds distorted and I wish there was an option to change the audio quality.
    I find it (BBC Online) sounds mostly ok but I don't dispute there are occasional glitches. I'm using WiFi, what are you using? Because I don't have this problem with other stations, I have to conclude it's a problem with the station itself and not FlyCast.

BBC Radio 1 does not play. It gets stuck while ...buffering... and does not recover. Is the data taking a much longer path because its a broadcast station instead of online? I wish there was an option to see the differences and exclude unwanted sets from the search results.
    I don't know, it also doesn't work for me.

Also, sometimes the search doesn't give any feedback. It sometimes says 'no search results' and at other times its just blank and I don't know if its waiting or if it broke? Sometimes it finds stations and sometimes it does not. This seems intermittent.
    I haven't seen this. I wonder if the client for your device is different than mine or if it just doesn't work as well because you've got a different device. Mine is just really super.

Another annoyance is that it (temporarily) stores the APN settings internally rather than query the OS. It doesn't remember those settings and they need to be typed in every time the app is loaded. It doesn't save my username/password either. That's a lot of typing.
    I don't have either of these problems and it's never asked for an APN. Do you have a BIS plan and does everything else work normally?

The site claims the app is completely free. After a few hours after installing, nearly all of the features dissapear (including the radio search) and one of the few things that remains visible is an upgrade button. Given so many bugs, its not worth paying for. Connecting and disconnecting using an unmarked button results in rediscovering the options that disapeared.
    The only thing you need to pay for is the ability to record songs you've played so you can play them again, as far as I know. Nothing has disappeared from my version, it just doesn't let me save songs. That's all.

What if you go in your options and turn off recording? Maybe it will work better, that's how mine is set now.

FlyCast save streams for recalling. The amount of free space toggles between 20:00:00 and 50:00:00 with the only pattern being related to whether or not the search features are hidden or visible (the counters do not change when its recording). I suggest someone at FlyCast needs to take a second look at their UML activity and state diagrams.
    I don't have an explanation, I would have thought it's related to the bandwidth of the station playing/last played.

Could you please tell me if there are relevant features/options/settings that I have not seen in FlyCast and that might help?
    I don't think so, there are very few options. I have WiFi preferred, Enable auto restart Off, Enable auto record Off, Include User's Music Library Off. Those are the only settings I have showing.

I'm a big fan of this app because like you and many others I'm locked out of most of the others because I don't live in north America. This has really worked perfectly for me, I haven't any complaints and I'm sorry yours isn't working properly.

Maybe you should delete it, reboot, install again and see if it works better. Or perhaps see if they have forums where you can see if anyone else with your device has problems using it. As I say on mine it's nearly perfect.
    03-04-10 06:23 AM
    Thank youfor the detailed reply All my phones are using Edge.

Maybe it works fine if a user happens to be using the APN that the guys at FlyCast hardcoded prior to distribution. For example, my carrier is O2 and FlyCast attempts to predict the APN as wap.o2.co.uk

This setting fails because my APN is payandgo.o2.co.uk and in the event of a failure, FlyCast prompts the user to insert new settings. Don't worry about the look of that APN, I do have unmetered data!

FlyCast accepts my manually entered settings and they work. However, FlyCast does not save them and will default back to wap.o2.co.uk with every restart. This quickly becomes frustrating. If anyone happens to know the developers, please kindly let them know about this 'feature'.

Furthermore, the APN is saved in the OS and they could query that instead.

Both FlyCast and Wunder Radio work without BIS and that's good (imho) because it increases the size of their audience by accepting a broader set of possible APNs

Some stations do not work in FlyCast, and other stations do not work in Wunder Radio. Both of these companies provide their own list of stations and its quite annoying that some of the stations in their lists don't work. I think this is quite likely to result from incompatible server-side settings.
    Last edited by flop; 03-04-10 at 08:31 AM.
    03-04-10 08:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD