Apple was just awarded the patent that VERY LOOSELY covers SOME aspects that MIGHT be A BIT RELATED to actions which APPROXIMATE some ESOTERIC components of pinch zooming...
    How can you patent something like that?

So now nobody in the world can ever make a new device and zoom into their device by using two fingers and squeezing them together?

So whats next, somebody is going to patent eating steak with a fork and knife? So they are the only person in the world that can ever legally eat steak with a fork and knife and we all have to eat with our hands now? See what I mean?

Thats bullshi*.
    05-15-09 11:19 AM
    How can you patent something like that?

So now nobody in the world can ever make a new device and zoom into their device by using two fingers and squeezing them together?

So whats next, somebody is going to patent eating steak with a fork and knife? So they are the only person in the world that can ever legally eat steak with a fork and knife and we all have to eat with our hands now? See what I mean?

Thats bullshi*.

eating steak with a fork and a knife is not patentable
    05-15-09 11:23 AM
    eating steak with a fork and a knife is not patentable
    But they are the easiest tools to enhance the enjoyment of a product...

Same thing as using your fingers to zoom into a screen to better enjoy a product...
    05-15-09 11:30 AM
    But they are the easiest tools to enhance the enjoyment of a product...

Same thing as using your fingers to zoom into a screen to better enjoy a product...
    Not only is that hindsight (using your fingers to zoom into a screen to better enjoy a product is not necessarily obvious, it seems obvious because it has been popularized by Apple), but also, the Apple patent does not cover "using your fingers to zoom into a screen to better enjoy a product". Read the patent and you will know what the patent encompasses!
    05-15-09 11:33 AM
    Not only is that hindsight (using your fingers to zoom into a screen to better enjoy a product is not necessarily obvious, it seems obvious because it has been popularized by Apple), but also, the Apple patent does not cover "using your fingers to zoom into a screen to better enjoy a product". Read the patent and you will know what the patent encompasses!
    Well, I am not really that into it to go search for the patent and read through all the legal BS....but i was just under the impression that they had some crapped up law that no company can ever develop software that recognizes to points of contact on a screen, and when you move them farther apart or closer together, it makes the screen zoom....

that would just be....thats just dumb.
    05-15-09 11:39 AM
    Well, I am not really that into it to go search for the patent and read through all the legal BS....but i was just under the impression that they had some crapped up law that no company can ever develop software that recognizes to points of contact on a screen, and when you move them farther apart or closer together, it makes the screen zoom....

that would just be....thats just dumb.

making all sorts of judgments and accusations about patents and a company's ability to use their patents and other "legal BS" without devoting even 1 minute of your own time to actually researching what is encompassed in the patent and what isn't...and further actually saying you have no desire to do it ..... now THAT is "just dumb" :-(

I mean no offense but if you spent as much time just reading the patent as you have responding in this thread, you would have a much better understanding about what aspects are patented by Apple and what is not
    Last edited by mdude85; 05-15-09 at 11:48 AM.
    05-15-09 11:45 AM
    but who cares ... someone will make a phone to do it ... apple will sue .... we will get to use the phone ..... they will be in court with their lawyers forever and ever.

It will not directly affect us in any way because until a judge rules one way or the other that it is patient infrigment apple will not be able to do anything ... patient or not.

So as stated above, wont affect us who cares.
    05-15-09 12:03 PM
    making all sorts of judgments and accusations about patents and a company's ability to use their patents and other "legal BS" without devoting even 1 minute of your own time to actually researching what is encompassed in the patent and what isn't...and further actually saying you have no desire to do it ..... now THAT is "just dumb" :-(

I mean no offense but if you spent as much time just reading the patent as you have responding in this thread, you would have a much better understanding about what aspects are patented by Apple and what is not
    Well, I like to make judgements and accusations against Apple...they are everything I stand against...

Like people who go into starbucks with their iMac laptops open on the desk "writing" their "novels" that they dont really do anything with, just to look important.

Or people who still pull out their iPhone with the most smug looks on their face like I should be impressed.

Stuff like that. cyaaa
    Last edited by kdjayo; 05-15-09 at 01:42 PM.
    05-15-09 01:38 PM
    Accelodex has flick scrolling.
    05-15-09 01:40 PM
    Accelodex has flick scrolling.
    Yes but any APP that has flick scrolling only affects that APP

I dont see how anybody can ever make an APP that affects the WHOLE way the storm works and affect EVERYTHING that it does.
    05-15-09 01:41 PM
    Yes but any APP that has flick scrolling only affects that APP

I dont see how anybody can ever make an APP that affects the WHOLE way the storm works and affect EVERYTHING that it does.
    You Sir, are absolutely correct!
    05-15-09 02:38 PM
    You Sir, are absolutely correct!
    I knew there was such a thing as the Southern Mississippi Bearkat!
    05-15-09 03:55 PM
    for someone that is experienced in programming it shouldnt be too hard. what you would need to do is use a TouchGesture class and use the getSwipeMagnitude() method to get the swipe distance and then come up with a formula to take that distance and convert it to the number of pixels you want to swipe. then just have it work throughout the os (like StopTilt). thats way too advanced for me but the person who made the tilt app could probably do it. if it can be done in an app then it should be possible to implement globally.
    05-15-09 04:10 PM
    I would buy this app in a heart beat..lol..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 05:59 PM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD