There have long been third-party programs for the BlackBerry, but in light of Apple’s enormous success with an easy, built-in App Store for the iPhone, Research in Motion today unveiled its own similar store, called BlackBerry App World. The store has hundreds of apps available at launch, and RIM says it expects around a thousand to be available in its first week. Like Apple’s store, RIM’s offers both free and paid apps that download directly to your device.

Click here for screen shots and more details:
    First Impressions of the New BlackBerry App Store
    04-02-09 01:45 AM
    does any one tried???? any comments??
    04-02-09 04:09 AM
    Your post is spam.

The app store is neat but RIM still has the problem of needing to restart to remove every application which is annoying.

The app store also requires PayPal which eliminates quite a lot of people from using it. I hate PayPal and refuse to use them after they stole my money years ago and I had zero recourse (seems like a bad service for business minded folk to use as it's not a bank or credit company forced to follow certain regulations).

Not all of the free applications are free. Shazam shows up as free but it's not; it's a try then buy application. This is incredibly annoying and, in my opinion, false advertisement.

While I love my Bold far more than the iPhone I can't help but think that RIM's first crack at an application store... sucks especially for the developers.
    04-02-09 06:27 AM
    I've tried and have to say, I like it. The UI is smooth and easy to get around, and the apps are nicely organized into categories. There are ratings, screenshots and a summary of each app (including version and file size thank you).

As for speed, on my 8320 it was a little sluggish at start (hourglass) but on the 8900 it flew.

Hopefully rim sees this as the golden egg it can be and starts pushing out phones with gb's of free available memory not kb's. Not to mention ability to install apps to a card...winmob has had that for nearly 8 years..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-09 06:31 AM
    I think its fantastic ... its not quite the Itunes app store yet, but RIM will get there
    04-02-09 06:34 AM
    Your post is spam.
    While I love my Bold far more than the iPhone I can't help but think that RIM's first crack at an application store... sucks especially for the developers.
    how you can say its spam...
    04-02-09 06:35 AM
    how you can say its spam...
    Click here for screen shots and more details:
    First Impressions of the New BlackBerry App Store
    04-02-09 06:50 AM
    I will ask for him again. How is it spam? It is linking to an article blog as most reviews are.

My thought on the app world... While it is great to have a lot of apps in one spot I am waiting on the "Help I am out of memory, what do I do?" threads to start opening up. Then those of us that know what to do tell them to delete some programs. The next reponse is going to be "but I just paid $10 for that app stupid RIM, it is all their fault."
    04-02-09 07:56 AM
    The first thing I noticed when loading up App World - most ofthe applications o there are ones the Crackberry store has had this entire time. Other than Shazam and maybe a couple of other "exclusive" applications, most of the apps have been around a while.
    04-02-09 08:35 AM
    I find what the BBs need as much as a centralized online store, is a centralized place to manage all applications, be it to add, remove or update them. I think they missed the boat by not having the App World application scan the BB for already installed apps, so it could update them as updates become available.
    04-02-09 08:39 AM
    I was all set to DL the new App Store until I saw they only accept PayPal.
    04-02-09 08:45 AM
    I didn't realize they only accepted paypal, this is a huge minus in the plus/minus column!

I think the concept is there, just hope positive enhancements are made in the near future. I will not be using it as long as paypal is the singulary means of payment.

04-02-09 08:52 AM
    I didn't realize they only accepted paypal, this is a huge minus in the plus/minus column!

I think the concept is there, just hope positive enhancements are made in the near future. I will not be using it as long as paypal is the singulary means of payment.

I dont have a problem with them only accepting paypal for "purchasable" apps. I have been using paypal for years without problem in conjunction with ebay.

My only gripe....and its a BIG one....is that I have to uninstall and reinstall the Aopp store just to see what updates and new apps have been added since yesterday. I uploaded the store early yesterday on mines and then my cousins later on in the afternoon. He had available apps that I didn't have until I uninstalled/reinstalled. Again today, helped put it on someone else and they have available apps that dont show up on my store....uninstall/reinstall again.
    Where is the simple refresh/update button? I mean come on are you kidding me?
    04-02-09 09:06 AM
    Wow, that is a HUGE gripe, thank yo ufor the information.

04-02-09 09:16 AM
    Wait so we really have to uninstall/reinstall App World to see updates? If so, that is a joke.

04-02-09 10:02 AM
    Its not the Blackberry App Store it the

Battery ZAP Store!
    04-02-09 10:19 AM
    I dont have a problem with them only accepting paypal for "purchasable" apps. I have been using paypal for years without problem in conjunction with ebay.

My only gripe....and its a BIG one....is that I have to uninstall and reinstall the Aopp store just to see what updates and new apps have been added since yesterday. I uploaded the store early yesterday on mines and then my cousins later on in the afternoon. He had available apps that I didn't have until I uninstalled/reinstalled. Again today, helped put it on someone else and they have available apps that dont show up on my store....uninstall/reinstall again.
    Are you kidding me???? I have to re install this thing daily ?? I'll stick with the crack app store if that's the case.
    04-02-09 10:23 AM
    anybody tried the bolt on verizon 8330? looking for free game solitare for 8330.
    04-02-09 10:27 AM
    So far I'm dissapointed. I hope within the next few weeks we see some progress because to me it looks like virtually the same apps that have been floating around here on the crackberry store and on the internet. I was hoping for some new innovative applications that can at least come close to the iphones. Nothing in there excites me and most of them are way over priced. So far I think it is pretty lame but we will see once the developers begin pouring in some new stuff. I'm really surprised though because all the developers that have been making money off the appstore on the iphone should be racing to get over here to the BBappworld. Its a whole new market of consumers fighting to give them money for a good app. Just make some cool applications that are useful, visually appealing, innovative etc. and the BB consumer base will pay through the nose.
    04-02-09 10:34 AM
    I just like any apps that changing the color of the Led indicator

04-02-09 10:47 AM
    Does anyone know of some good free games like solitaire and such
    I really don't want to pay for games that windows does for free lol.

04-02-09 11:39 AM
    Is there an app that changes the color of the led light?

04-02-09 11:43 AM
    i was able to download this onto my phone via email link? but when i try to download it on the laptop it says that there is no device connected. i know it is cuz the usb cable it workiing on everything else any suggestions?
    04-02-09 11:49 AM
    agreed. they should call it the WACK store.
    04-02-09 03:54 PM
    I will ask for him again. How is it spam? It is linking to an article blog as most reviews are.

My thought on the app world... While it is great to have a lot of apps in one spot I am waiting on the "Help I am out of memory, what do I do?" threads to start opening up. Then those of us that know what to do tell them to delete some programs. The next reponse is going to be "but I just paid $10 for that app stupid RIM, it is all their fault."
    I believe App World lets you re-download the app for free. This allows people that have limited memory on their BlackBerry to switch out the apps they use.
    04-02-09 04:32 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD