Hey everyone, is there a first aid app out there for the Blackberry? I can't find one and I think it would be a great thing to have! I would love to develop one and give it away for free but unfortunately I don't know the first thing about software engineering. Thanks!
    04-18-09 06:10 PM
    What exactly are you looking for? I'm both a software engineer and a first responder so I kinda know both aspects. What type of app would this be?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-09 08:54 PM
    Do you mean First Aid of the human variety or how to fix ur 'berry when it gets sick? For the later there is a solution: Crackberry.com
    04-18-09 09:27 PM
    I think he is looking for a. App like you can get for the treo called 1st aid

04-18-09 10:01 PM
    I mean like an electronic emergency handbook that covers choking, seizures, burns, CPR, lacerations, etc. I know there are several for the iPhone and its the weirdest thing, when an emergency happens I forget what to do! lol
    04-18-09 10:21 PM
    App like you can get for the treo called 1st aid
    I miss that app.
    04-19-09 07:52 AM
    This would actually be a great idea. I mean a lot of us need a refresh when it comes down to the actual moment. Would love it if someone jumped on this!
    04-19-09 08:15 AM
    Yeah it would be great. Ill have to look into how to write a BB program, maybe I could pull it off. It doesn't need to be anything fancy. I would just have a general page that had a list of problems and then link that to a page that provided detailed information on what to do. Another student went down in a class last week (he was fine) and suddenly I couldn't remember CPR or what to do despite the fact that I've studied CPR extensively... Fortunately he didn't require CPR and started moving again within a minute and never stopped breathing, if he had I'm not sure what we would have done.
    04-19-09 12:53 PM
    Another student went down in a class last week (he was fine) and suddenly I couldn't remember CPR or what to do despite the fact that I've studied CPR extensively... Fortunately he didn't require CPR and started moving again within a minute and never stopped breathing, if he had I'm not sure what we would have done.
    What you would have done, would have been to dial 911 and they would have told you what to do, step by step. It's a good thing that you had a phone and that in itself would have been enough to get the ball rolling. And should always be the first thing you do if someone does falls ill or goes down. Because you never know if a person will fully recover even if they say they are ok, better safe than sorry.

Anyone that knows first aid CPR should be helping the person that goes down, and others should be contacting 911 and any medical personal in the building or on campus. And hopefully on campus medical contact info is posted in the rooms in full view of anyone and those numbers should also be in your phone (as of today), in case something happens in the future. We all can freeze and or hope someone else knows more than we do when a crisis pops up, but 911 can get you calmed down and get you in gear, even if you do not know CPR or First Aid of any kind.
    04-19-09 04:15 PM
    I think M11Stephen is onto something good here. Yes BlkBear is correct about calling 911 in an emergency situation but not all situations require a 911 call. For example if someone were to get a non-life-threatening cut, or pull a muscle, or get a bad case of acid reflux, etc., it would be great to have a first aid guide at the touch of a button. I think this is an excellent idea. Hopefully someone can make this happen!

04-19-09 04:30 PM
    There is a program available but the cost of it is outrageous here is the link if you would like to check it out PocketDoc - First Aid Tool and Medication Guide for BlackBerry
    If anybody finds anything cheaper let me know because I would like something like this also
    04-19-09 04:38 PM
    Might there be a Word Doc or PDF first aid guide?
    04-19-09 04:41 PM
    Actually an app like this sounds really cool, but in the heat of an emergency pulling out your BB to do anything but call 911 is simply silly.

Remember ABC
    Airway
    Breathing
    Circulation

Is the airway open? yes? move on, no? stop and open it
    Are they breathing? yes? move on, no? start breathing for them
    Is there a pulse? yes? are they bleeding? stop the bleeding

There ya go.

I'm a paramedic at my day job.

Call 911, let the professionals help you.
    04-19-09 08:32 PM
    I don't know where I got it but i have an app called First Aid Guide by Saranjeet Raj. It works pretty well for basic emergency info. If I can find a link I will post it. Granted its not like my medical ebooks ($$$) but it really does what it needs to do.

Found it at Midlets.org. midlet.org - wireless java downloads
    04-19-09 09:36 PM
    I went to that site and didn't see anywhere where it shows files for blackberry

04-19-09 10:02 PM
    Well....I know this is where a few of the midlets I use came from (midlets are Java and berries run java)....I just can't remember how I installed them on my berries (both on my Bold and my Curve). When I figure it out I will let you know asap
    04-19-09 11:14 PM
    I could see where is app would help I go kayaking a lot. I always take my phone with me. If i am in an area without service it could come in handy.
    04-19-09 11:15 PM
    As a First Responder this would be a great app, webmd first aid, they should get on that.
    04-20-09 07:53 AM
    Calling 911 is always the first and most important step! A BB is never going to replace EMTs and first responders. However, after you have done this, having a visual illustration of how to do CPR and other emergency procedures can be helpful especially if you're a visual person like me. Some iPhone apps can even walk you through it step by step and count compressions for you.
    04-20-09 06:57 PM
    I use an app called The Complete Home and Outdoor First Aid Course which is from Redivideos. It is equivalent to what you would obtain if you took a certified course, demonstrated and narrated by qualified instructors. Totally video. I think it is one of the best out there.
    01-18-10 03:31 PM
    Hi Teresa,
    I'd love to get The Complete Home and Outdoor First Aid Course which is from Redivideos. I too have a 9530 Storm, but I was not able to download it through the BlackBerry App World, even though I sent myself an email from the BlackBerry App World webstore for that specific app; I followed the link on my BlackBerry and got the message that said "This application is not available on your device or for your carrier." I have Verizon, not AT&T, but it seems strange to me that that would make a difference. Do you remember how you got the app?
    Patricia
    01-28-10 09:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD