Will we ever see an unlocking app that uses fingerprinting?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-08-11 09:16 PM
    No

08-08-11 09:29 PM
    How? Take a picture of your finger?
    08-08-11 09:39 PM
    How? Take a picture of your finger?
    Don't be silly

08-08-11 10:29 PM
    He's not being silly at all. Considerring the hardware is too small to read a full print, how would you actually consider this to happen?
    08-09-11 06:11 AM
    Will we ever see an unlocking app that uses fingerprinting?

Only seen it on Android and Iphone
    08-09-11 11:26 AM
    Those fingerprint unlock apps just display an image of a fingerprint - it's not yours.
    08-09-11 03:18 PM
    The Atrix I had for a few weeks had one on it that could read your fingerprint and you could use it as a security lock for the device. It is merely a novelty item, IMO. The concept is pretty cool, but it was really just a pain in the a$$ to use. You had to swipe the sensor with the same finger and in the same direction as you set it up on the device. More often than not, a message would display, "Swipe Too Fast" or "Swipe Too Slow". I think it would be a waste of valuable real estate on a RIM device.
    08-09-11 04:31 PM
    it can be done but is it something that most ppl will require... probably not.

There are the finger print readers that look like

[------] where u run ur fingers over them and it read ur finger prints. (that sized)

It will fit on ur bb but most ppl wont need one so i doubt rim will sell it but who knows some gov might wnat it.
    08-09-11 07:55 PM
    Being in the Torch forum I assumed the question was about existing hardware. Yes, there are lots of fingerprint readers available, and the better ones are actually around 1.5 times the size of our trackpad and do not require you to swipe. I had one of those on a previous tablet and it worked well, and doubled as a tiny touchpad as well (minus click ability, still needed the stylus to do that). However, I don't think the demand is there for RIM to upgrade the trackpad to a fingerprint reader.

I also have the narrow fingerprint readers on a laptop and a PDA, those require you to swipe. They don't work as well and won't read very dry fingers or wet fingers. My laptop is set to boot up right into my account and the fingerprint reader is only for when I manually lock out my account. It doesn't work well enough for me to swipe in every day.
    08-09-11 09:05 PM
    in order to unlock it is using the finger after your thumb press down until it sais 1.0 or 5.0
    02-01-13 03:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD