Greetings,

There have been complaints recently about the lack of usability of the files located on GETJAR.COM.

For those that wanted FileLock, you are not out of luck.

I have converted the "FILELOCK.jar" file to a format that all berry users should be able to install via the Desktop Manager software.

The RAR file is located here.

FileLock.rar

Instructions

1. Download File.
    2. Un-RAR files (Filelock.cod and Filelock.alx)
    3. Plug in your blackberry to your computer
    4. Start Desktop Manager
    5. Click on Application Loader.
    6. Click the Add button (after it does it's search and verify thing...)
    7. Navigate to the files you decompressed out of the RAR file.
    8. Click on Next and install.
    9. After your berry restarts you should have the FileLock program available. Its icon looks like a little pink key with a beige or blue background. When you start the program, allow it to access the files. If you choose to deny, you will have to delete and reinstall the program. (It cannot hide and lock your files if you don't let it)

Dm
    dhanz76 and ima5exypaki like this.
    06-03-08 08:44 AM
    Nice! Thanks for that

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-08 09:12 AM
    Nice! Thanks for that

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    No problemo.
    I know how frustrated I was when I found the GETJAR.com website and I couldn't get anything I downloaded for free to work.

Once I found out about the converter it changed everything. I figured I could help out those that were asking about the FileLock program at the least...

Dm
    06-03-08 09:30 AM
    I'm not exactly sure how long Mediafire will keep the file stored so if it drops and you need a copy, PM or PIN me.

Out here,
    Dm
    06-03-08 01:24 PM
    It asks for PERMISSION for every action. Each time I drilled down on the SD card's folder, it wanted additional PERMISSION. I even went to Options/Advanced/Applications but its Permissions were already ALLOW.

Too tedious at this time to even think about using it.
    06-03-08 07:13 PM
    It asks for PERMISSION for every action. Each time I drilled down on the SD card's folder, it wanted additional PERMISSION. I even went to Options/Advanced/Applications but its Permissions were already ALLOW.

Too tedious at this time to even think about using it.
    Thats because you messed up.
    If you had given it access at the initial point that it requested it, you wouldn't be going through the individual requests.

Follow instructions and life is easy...

Dm
    06-04-08 06:59 AM
    I believe that I gave it PERMISSION as soon as it asked. I will uninstall and reinstall and see what happens.
    06-04-08 11:55 AM
    Thanks for the great app and tutorial Detman!

F2 & others - This should correct the problem (found on another site - thx dsump)

The 8130 CDMA comes from the store with the firewall turned off. When it is off, several apps keep asking for permission to locate local content. This happens to every file you want to lock or unlock. If you activate the firewall under options> securityoptions> firewall, then filelock doesn't ask you for permission any longer as long as you have everything set to "allow". Hope this helps. I had this same problem with audible air and several others. This fixed them all.

If the above doesn't work, try this (thx jeffallen8)

I found the reason everyone is being prompted to lock a file. Its a permission setting. Only do this if your app is installed and is prompting you everytime your lock a file. If you are freshly installing the app for the very first time skip to the vey bottom paragraph

Go to: Options>Advanced Options>Applications>FileLock. You will now be at the File Lock Properties screen.

Hit Menu>Edit Permissions. Here you will need to expand the CONNECTION, INTERACTIONS, USER DATA tabs.

Match the settings to this guide.

CONNECTIONS: Custom
    USB.................... Allow
    Bluetooth............. Allow
    Phone................. Prompt
    GPS.................... Prompt
    Carrier Internet..... Allow

INTERACTIONS: Custom
    Interprocess Communtications
    ...........................Allow
    Modify Device Set. Allow
    Module Manage..... Allow
    Keystroke inj......... Deny
    Browser Filt........... Deny
    Theme Data Inj. .....Allow
    Screen Capture...... Deny
    Security Timer R..... Deny

USER DATA: Allow
    Allow all fields

Note: each device is different so if an option isn't in my guide just allow it.

Save and exit

Now run the filelock app. Once you start the app you will be prompted at a connection screen. You need to check the FIRST BOX ONLY! then click allow this connection. And it should be fixed. I succesfully did it on a 8310
    06-04-08 02:34 PM
    Thanks for the great app and tutorial Detman!

F2 & others - This should correct the problem (found on another site - thx dsump)

The 8130 CDMA comes from the store with the firewall turned off. When it is off, several apps keep asking for permission to locate local content. This happens to every file you want to lock or unlock. If you activate the firewall under options> securityoptions> firewall, then filelock doesn't ask you for permission any longer as long as you have everything set to "allow". Hope this helps. I had this same problem with audible air and several others. This fixed them all.

If the above doesn't work, try this (thx jeffallen8)

Code:
    I found the reason everyone is being prompted to lock a file. Its a permission setting. Only do this if your app is installed and is prompting you everytime your lock a file. If you are freshly installing the app for the very first time skip to the vey bottom paragraph

Go to: Options>Advanced Options>Applications>FileLock. You will now be at the File Lock Properties screen.

Hit Menu>Edit Permissions. Here you will need to expand the CONNECTION, INTERACTIONS, USER DATA tabs.

Match the settings to this guide.

CONNECTIONS: Custom
    USB.................... Allow
    Bluetooth............. Allow
    Phone................. Prompt
    GPS.................... Prompt
    Carrier Internet..... Allow

INTERACTIONS: Custom
    Interprocess Communtications
    ...........................Allow
    Modify Device Set. Allow
    Module Manage..... Allow
    Keystroke inj......... Deny
    Browser Filt........... Deny
    Theme Data Inj. .....Allow
    Screen Capture...... Deny
    Security Timer R..... Deny

USER DATA: Allow
    Allow all fields

Note: each device is different so if an option isn't in my guide just allow it.

Save and exit

Now run the filelock app. Once you start the app you will be prompted at a connection screen. You need to check the FIRST BOX ONLY! then click allow this connection. And it should be fixed. I succesfully did it on a 8310
    Awesome, that is the exact fix that is suggested for this application.

Dm
    06-04-08 02:39 PM
    What's the app do?
    06-04-08 02:55 PM
    What OTHER effect does turning FIREWALL OFF (disabled) have on the BB, the BBBrowser, etc?

I did just try that and I got a new screen asking for two permissions with CHECKBOXES. So, changing the firewall setting clearly affects how this works. So I checked both boxes and then it ran okay. So I figured now that I had set those permisssions PERMANENTLY with checkboxes, I would re-engage the Firewall - no go - went back to always asking for permissions.

I may try the longer solution.

PATRICK - it basically HIDES files from view by changing the file's extension. They actually still exist and I believe can be seen by other methods just with the odd extension. Actually, it appends an .lck to the end of the existing file's extension. I could still see the file using MediaPlayer's EXPLORE function. So it helps to keep out the unknowing curious types.

Just tried the more elaborate Permission settings and it still asks for Permissions if the firewall is ENABLED. Really don't know why there is a relationship with this program and the Firewall settings.

It would be nice to be able to really hide/protect files - on my HP200 palmtop, I could password protect files so my dad's financial information was handy for my review but it was hidden from general observation.

Obviously, the BB can be really secured with whole BB password but that hinders quick use as a phone.
    Last edited by F2; 06-04-08 at 03:42 PM.
    06-04-08 03:27 PM
    What OTHER effect does turning FIREWALL OFF (disabled) have on the BB, the BBBrowser, etc?

I did just try that and I got a new screen asking for two permissions with CHECKBOXES. So, changing the firewall setting clearly affects how this works. So I checked both boxes and then it ran okay. So I figured now that I had set those permisssions PERMANENTLY with checkboxes, I would re-engage the Firewall - no go - went back to always asking for permissions.

I may try the longer solution.

PATRICK - it basically HIDES files from view by changing the file's extension. They actually still exist and I believe can be seen by other methods just with the odd extension. Actually, it appends an .lck to the end of the existing file's extension. I could still see the file using MediaPlayer's EXPLORE function. So it helps to keep out the unknowing curious types.

Just tried the more elaborate Permission settings and it still asks for Permissions if the firewall is ENABLED. Really don't know why there is a relationship with this program and the Firewall settings.

It would be nice to be able to really hide/protect files - on my HP200 palmtop, I could password protect files so my dad's financial information was handy for my review but it was hidden from general observation.

Obviously, the BB can be really secured with whole BB password but that hinders quick use as a phone.
    I realize that the program has it's detriments. But another solution is possible.
    If you encrypt the information on your SD card, the info cannot be unencrypted should your SD card or phone get stolen. Someone saavy enough will be able to find the files with the Explorer but without the Encryption Key they won't be able to do anything with the file outside of the blackberry.
    Also, if you enabled the password function on FileLock, they won't even be able to view the file.

Hmmm....I wonder if the file could still be accessed by somehow removing the .lck extension through the explorer....

Either way...the protection method I posted above would work if the BBerry was locked (lock/unlock the device)
    and the information on the bberry was encrypted AND hidden with the FileLock app.

Dm
    06-04-08 04:03 PM
    It doesn't appear to recursively lock any of the files within a sub-directory. Is this by design?

Many thanks for the app.
    06-04-08 04:42 PM
    Why not just use the built in encryption?
    06-04-08 05:28 PM
    Why not just use the built in encryption?
    For specific files on SD Card or Internal Memory?
    06-04-08 06:30 PM
    It doesn't appear to recursively lock any of the files within a sub-directory. Is this by design?

Many thanks for the app.
    If you select the folder and then select "lock"
    wait and don't press a thing until the screen changes and the cursor goes back up to the top of the file listing.

then, your files within the folder you selected are locked.
    To unlock them all, just highlight that folder again and hit "unlock" then do the "wait for the screen to change" thing again.

Dm
    06-05-08 08:17 AM
    If you select the folder and then select "lock"
    wait and don't press a thing until the screen changes and the cursor goes back up to the top of the file listing.

then, your files within the folder you selected are locked.
    To unlock them all, just highlight that folder again and hit "unlock" then do the "wait for the screen to change" thing again.

Dm
    That's exactly what I do...

However, IF I have a sub-directory within that folder (which I just locked) then those files are not locked.
    06-05-08 08:22 AM
    That's exactly what I do...

However, IF I have a sub-directory within that folder (which I just locked) then those files are not locked.
    Ah, I see what you mean now.
    Hmmmm...That is a serious flaw.
    One would think that the lock procedure would cover everything within the folder selected...

I wonder if there is a way to contact the dev that made the app to have this functionality implemented. I may contact Brandon Swift to see if he can inspect the code and improve upon it. He is really keen at reverse engineering these apps.

Thank you,
    Dm
    06-05-08 08:53 AM
    Well, Brandon Swift recommended that we contact the developer. So I tried and have yet to receive a response...

Dm
    06-12-08 07:07 AM
    Maybe I'm confused but wouldn't just downloading the JAD file over the air be easier? Mostly every app on GetJar.com has both the .jar and .jad.

The .jad is the compatible one for us..
    http://download11.getjar.com/downloa...1/FileLock.jad

Or, maybe I'm just lazy
    Last edited by mm_style; 06-12-08 at 09:03 AM.
    06-12-08 08:19 AM
    Maybe I'm confused but wouldn't just downloading the JAD file over the air be easier? Mostly every app on GetJar.com has both the .jar and .jad.

The .jad is the compatible one for us..
    http://download11.getjar.com/downloa...1/FileLock.jad

Or, maybe I'm just lazy
    [SHORT]In this instance, lazy wasn't working for the masses. I fixed that.

[LONG]The original complaint was that the JAD on the site was corrupted.
    I fixed it and converted the file to .ALX and .COD so that people could download the corrected files and upload the program to their berries via Desktop Manager.

Dm
    06-13-08 10:28 AM
    I think all this application does in rename the file and adds an "lck" on the end of it. I don't think it actually encrypt anything.
    06-30-08 10:35 AM
    bump, for those looking for this app.

Dm
    07-15-08 01:35 PM
    bump, for those looking for this app.

Dm
    Why did you put it out as a .rar file? Windows reads .zip perfectly well and the size of the file is so small that any extra compression would only save a second or so on the download.

To open a .rar file you need to at least download 7-zip and that is one more step that your users have to go through to obtain your product.

Just a thought.
    07-16-08 11:51 AM
    Do ppl still use zip files lol? I haven't used winzip in like 7 years.
    Last edited by Bla1ze; 07-16-08 at 12:04 PM.
    07-16-08 12:01 PM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD