A friend of mine has AT&T using a Blackberry with an Unlimited Data plan. She recently downloaded and installed Windows Live Messenger. According to AT&T, she has to pay extra for using WLM.

I have an unlimited data plan with Verizon and am not being charged for using WLM. Can anyone confirm that AT&T charges extra for WLM?

Thanks,

Phil
    11-14-08 08:27 AM
    I just got my BB last Wednesday, but I don't think AT&T charges for Live Messenger. Everything, except for text messages (SMS), should be included in the data plan (emails, internet, instant messaging, etc).

How much she says is paying for WLM?
    11-14-08 03:40 PM
    They want to charge an additional $20 per month. According to att, wlm is not part of the data plan.
    11-28-08 07:08 AM
    Hmmmm...

I will call AT&T today and ask...I don't use it currently but have used it with TMobile in the past.
    11-28-08 07:26 AM
    The $20 are for unlimited SMS. Windows Live Messenger should be included in the data plan. Double check this with another AT&T representative. My guess is that the first one confused SMS and WLM.
    11-28-08 06:24 PM
    WLM should use data not SMS.

I would get another AT&T rep.
    11-28-08 07:33 PM
    WLM should use data not SMS.

I would get another AT&T rep.

It uses text messages NOT data. If it is important try Beejive whioch is like 14.95 with a code (one time fee) and then it will use data.
    11-28-08 08:07 PM
    Either way, if WLM uses SMS or data.

If WLM uses data: $30.00 BIS Blackberry plan.

If WLM uses text: $20.00 messaging unlimited plan. -- You can be on the $5.00 200 or $15.00 1,500 messaging plan, as well.

Not sure how WLM charges, exactly, as I've never seen it on a bill. But it's my presumption that only the IM client that AT&T provides charges as text and the rest are data. There are a few exceptions.

AT&T doesn't cover the programs of 3rd parties, so be sure to check their details.
    11-29-08 01:54 AM
    I got a bb bold with personal web plus 200 messages, my question is does email count as a message? Or google talk?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-08 08:41 AM
    I got a bb bold with personal web plus 200 messages, my question is does email count as a message? Or google talk?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    E-Mail is data.

200 Message = Text Messages and I am assuming MMS as well.
    12-02-08 08:46 AM
    How can WLM be txt messages that makes no sense... it's definately data.
    12-02-08 03:28 PM
    Yes, WLM is data. Everything (except for SMS/MMS) is data.
    12-03-08 12:20 PM
    WLM as well as Yahoo Messenger, both used Data from the carrier not SMS or MMS to send back and forth messages, know this becuase I am a long user of both 3rd Party App.
    12-03-08 12:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD