this is definitely a huge n00b question, but what is the fastest way to close apps on the 8330? i find that i generally have to press the bb button, scroll to the bottom of the menu, click close, press the bb button, scroll to the bottom of the menu, click close, repeat... until i'm finally back on the home screen. with some apps, it's not so bad, but having to do it 4 or 5 times just to close a program is ridiculous. i know the red button runs apps in the background, but that uses up way too much memory. somebody let me know!
    08-24-09 05:33 PM
    battery pull.....

but then you have to wait for your BB to boot up again so Menu > Close would be faster
    08-24-09 05:39 PM
    Depends on the app. Some shut down just with the escape button next to the trackball, others have a menu option. Still others only allow a close through their own controls.

So there's really no easy way to get them all.

Of course, there is a dirty little secret... ALT-SHIFT-DEL is kind of a master off button for all apps.
    08-24-09 05:40 PM
    I normally use the back key to close an app. It seems to work for me and gets me back to the home screen. I also use the application switcher to insure that my apps are closed (alt + back key). The end call key does not close the application but rather puts it in the background, in case you weren't aware of that.

-bobkat
    08-24-09 11:55 PM
    In **most** aps, pressing alt and then the back key will close it. Don't press together, do it sequentially.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-09 12:30 AM
    You can also hit the BB key and then press C to get to "Close"
    08-25-09 12:39 AM
    Good tips. Thanks.
    08-25-09 04:40 AM
    The OP posed an important question, as leaving apps open (by simply pressing the Back button) can eat up lots of memory. The suggestions have been good. One feature I don't think was mentioned is that holding the Back button for about a second will properly close most apps. Note that at least 5 apps are always open; Home, Call Log, BlackBerry Messenger, Messages, and Browser. Depending on your installed apps there may be more.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-25-09 09:30 AM
    You can also hit the BB key and then press C to get to "Close"
    Thanks. Great tip that I overlooked.
    08-25-09 11:49 AM
    I normally use the back key to close an app.

-bobkat
    That doesn't close most apps, just closes the window. I think you'll find that by doing that, you're actually leaving those apps running in the background. Unless you're using ALT + the back key, or holding it for five seconds, as others have suggested, that is.
    08-25-09 02:22 PM
    That doesn't close most apps, just closes the window. I think you'll find that by doing that, you're actually leaving those apps running in the background. Unless you're using ALT + the back key, or holding it for five seconds, as others have suggested, that is.
    It actually closes more apps then you realize. It closes out the Media Player, App World, Address Book, Calender, Camera, Memo Pad, etc... Seems to close out almost all of the BB specific apps, however there are a siginficant number of apps that it doesn't close...

I usually hit the BB button, C to highlight close, then select that... it's a good habit to get into, and it becomes second nature after a while.
    08-25-09 02:52 PM
    What if you have an app that's frozen?
    08-25-09 02:52 PM
    What if you have an app that's frozen?
    Battery pull.
    08-25-09 03:29 PM
    this is definitely a huge n00b question, but what is the fastest way to close apps on the 8330? i find that i generally have to press the bb button, scroll to the bottom of the menu, click close, press the bb button, scroll to the bottom of the menu, click close, repeat... until i'm finally back on the home screen. with some apps, it's not so bad, but having to do it 4 or 5 times just to close a program is ridiculous. i know the red button runs apps in the background, but that uses up way too much memory. somebody let me know!
    A battery is a little drastic. For most, use your back key (right of the trackball) until you are out and sometimes it will take you completely out of the program but other times, you will be running in the background so then you do need to use your menu key to close the app.
    08-25-09 03:45 PM
    Depends on the app. Some shut down just with the escape button next to the trackball, others have a menu option. Still others only allow a close through their own controls.

So there's really no easy way to get them all.

Of course, there is a dirty little secret... ALT-SHIFT-DEL is kind of a master off button for all apps.
    That only works if you are coordinated, LOL. I lack big time in that area.
    08-25-09 03:46 PM
    I usually hit the BB button, C to highlight close, then select that... it's a good habit to get into, and it becomes second nature after a while.
    Yeah, that's what I do too.
    08-25-09 04:24 PM
    Battery pull.
    sweet! it works now! ringo support be damned thanks for the help!
    08-25-09 06:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD