I have 5 lines on my family 800 with my faves. Have the 9.99 per month unlimited mobile to mobile, 9.99 unlimited family texting and the 19.99 blackberry addon.

Been using my google voice number as a my fav with seemingly no problems. I need another voice line for a kid and have an idea.

Here's my idea, will this work?

Drop the bb addon on my number, give to kid.

Get new service for myself (with a new phone to boot) and get only the blackberry data plan. Have all calls come to my google voice number.

thoughts? opinions?
    12-16-09 01:50 PM
    Wont work. When you have google voice ring your cell phone (or any other phone for that matter) you have to login to google voice and tell it to forward to that number. It isn't running the phone call over the data, it is actually forwarding the phone call to you cell number.

You could use google voice with no voice plan if you just want SMS, but I think that would be pointless!
    12-17-09 10:00 AM
    Well ok that makes sense. But now I have another question about google voice.

If I get another google voice number and lets say I assign to hubs who doesn't have a data plan, make it one of his faves etc so that he doesn't really "use" minutes. Other than not being able to SMS the google number are there any disadvantages?
    12-17-09 10:47 AM
    If I understand you correctly you are wanting to use google voice on another phone so it doesn't use your regular minutes?

As long as you have the google voice access number as one of the myfavs on that phone and they use that everytime to dial out then yes that would work fine. I have that set up that way on my 8900 and use it now and then when I know I'm going to be on long calls in the middle of the day. You can still receive SMS via google voice, just no MMS (picture/video messages).

I don't know if the google voice app can be installed on a blackberry without data plan though? I have never tried.....but it's worth a shot!
    12-18-09 10:28 AM
    If anyone has an extra invite for google voice I'd appreciate it.

lombardy218@yahoo.com
    12-18-09 02:54 PM
    If I understand you correctly you are wanting to use google voice on another phone so it doesn't use your regular minutes?

As long as you have the google voice access number as one of the myfavs on that phone and they use that everytime to dial out then yes that would work fine. I have that set up that way on my 8900 and use it now and then when I know I'm going to be on long calls in the middle of the day. You can still receive SMS via google voice, just no MMS (picture/video messages).

I don't know if the google voice app can be installed on a blackberry without data plan though? I have never tried.....but it's worth a shot!
    That's true, I have it set up on mine that way. WOrks great to eliminate worrying about minutes... at least on outgoing calls.

There is also a solution to get the same "unlimited" feature for incoming too...

If you Google Voice Settings>Calls you can enable "Call Screening" and "Call Presentation" and set your Caller ID to "Display my Google Voice number." Then add your own GV # to your "Freinds & Family" or "Favorites" plan with your cell carrier.

Now when someone calls you, your caller ID will show your Google Voice # (which is in your Favorites so it won't count towards minutes use) and you'll still be able to know who is calling before you answer via the Call Screening and Presentation settings enabled.

Peace!
    12-19-09 12:23 AM
    Unfortunately there's no way that I know of to load GV without a data package. The rest of what you're describing would work though.
    12-20-09 05:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD