So there's often times where I'll get a message or wall post but won't be alearted by the facebook app for some time. I noticed there wasn't a refresh button in the menu and I'm wondering if there's a way to sync/refresh this or any other apps like this through editing either the permissions or the coding. I wasn't sure which forum to use because if I'm not mistaken this program is made by RIM so technically its not a 3rd party app.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-30-08 12:41 PM
    Well, in essence, the Facebook application is delivering 'email' to your account. So, if your account is not GMail, Yahoo! or Hotmail (if account was before 2000), it would deliver between 1-15 minutes...

Try a battery pull to see if that helps. But, which account is set with your Facebook? GMail, Yahoo!, or?
    04-30-08 12:58 PM
    Yeah, Facebook "secretly" works by e-mail...

If you have "Leave email notification messages on mail server" enabled (Menu-->Facebook-->Menu-->Options-->Leave email notification messages on mail server), then login to the your e-mail client from somewhere OTHER THAN your BlackBerry (eg. Web-based interface), you will actually see the "secret" e-mail messages that control the Facebook application!

See, what happens is Facebook sends you an e-mail to you when certain events occur, and these e-mail messages "trigger" the relevant alert in the Facebook application when they are received on your BlackBerry (your BlackBerry should automatically "hide" these messages from you)...

Anyway, getting back to your question, you should check that you have the correct e-mail address setup for the Facebook application:

Facebook (on a computer or in Opera Software's Opera Mini)-->Account-->Settings-->Contact Email

The e-mail address on this screen should be setup on your BlackBerry device and you must be logged-in to the Facebook application with the same e-mail address, for the application to work correctly...

You can also clear the Facebook application's cache, forcing it to download updated information (though you may not notice this until you receive your next notification):

Menu-->Facebook-->Menu-->Options-->Clear Cache

04-30-08 10:44 PM
    Okay... I've tried all of this, to no avail.

can someone help
    08-28-08 09:21 AM
    Yeah, Facebook "secretly" works by e-mail...

If you have "Leave email notification messages on mail server" enabled (Menu-->Facebook-->Menu-->Options-->Leave email notification messages on mail server), then login to the your e-mail client from somewhere OTHER THAN your BlackBerry (eg. Web-based interface), you will actually see the "secret" e-mail messages that control the Facebook application!

See, what happens is Facebook sends you an e-mail to you when certain events occur, and these e-mail messages "trigger" the relevant alert in the Facebook application when they are received on your BlackBerry (your BlackBerry should automatically "hide" these messages from you)...

Anyway, getting back to your question, you should check that you have the correct e-mail address setup for the Facebook application:

Facebook (on a computer or in Opera Software's Opera Mini)-->Account-->Settings-->Contact Email

The e-mail address on this screen should be setup on your BlackBerry device and you must be logged-in to the Facebook application with the same e-mail address, for the application to work correctly...

You can also clear the Facebook application's cache, forcing it to download updated information (though you may not notice this until you receive your next notification):

Menu-->Facebook-->Menu-->Options-->Clear Cache

finally an answer on this... I leave it checked off... otherwise would have a million "so and so just commented on such and such" emails in my inbox (web accessed)... I just wish it also worked to eliminate the notifications that end up piling up in the lower right corner of the web accessed FB page... as it stands, those don't get "read" even when checking and reading on my BB...

Another related question... How come the "like" notification don't show up on the BB ???
    01-27-10 08:48 AM
    I have a similar question. My FB BB app does not have "leave notification on mail server" checked. I didn't like getting double mail on my blackberry and having to clear out my inbox and FB everytime I got a message. My email address registered with facebook and my phone is gmail. Where does gmail send the actual email messages after it "hides" them and forwards them to your FB app? The reason I ask, is because someone posted on my wall but deleted their post before I could read it on my FB app on my Blackberry. So I want to find the actual email sent to my gmail account at the time they posted (if it still exists), so I can read the comment and see what they wrote.

Any help would be appreciated.
    02-03-10 03:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD