Okay, so I have seen all the other threads. But they just don't seem to make total sense to me. From what I can gather, for Facebook, you MUST have the e-mail address associated with your Facebook, added to your phone?

BUT, I use gmail app, and I hate the BB e-mail client. So I can't do that. So now, I can't get notifications?

I have the Twitter app as well, and thats the exact type of notification I want. I assume it is just using PUSH notification to put the icon at the top of my phone?
    And the Facebook app cannot do this?

Is there a workaround? Like if I add my e-mail to my phone, but hide it or something so I never ever ever ever ever ever ever see ANYTHING about an e-mail in the folder?

Anybody with any advice on this?

Basically, I want Facebook to notify me, as painless and easy as the Twitter app.
    06-26-10 07:50 PM
    It is interesting you say that. That's how I have had it set up since basically forever, but not once have I ever had the icon on my screen, except for the first two notifications that are in the app after the install.

Maybe no notifications are getting to my app? With the twitter app, I close it completely, and I still get the notices. Does Facebook need to be open in the background? Or am I still yet missing something here?
    06-26-10 08:54 PM
    The Facebook app recognizes your incoming Facebook emails and redirects them to be interpreted by the Facebook app. So yes you will need the gmail account loaded into your BIS service to get your Facebook notifications. You can set the application up to actually delete those notifications after it ingests them as well so your inbox doesn't actually get filled up with your Facebook notifications.
    06-26-10 09:57 PM
    The Facebook app has NEVER worked for me in regards to notifications. I recently began testing a new Facebook app for Blackberry Beta Zone - version 1.8.0.31 - and voila, I began getting the notifications pushed to my Storm2.
    06-26-10 10:59 PM
    I have facebook sent to not email me of notifications since i am on enough... I just am ok with the little red box, can i make that happen on my facebook app?
    06-26-10 11:21 PM
    Facebook 1.7 doesn't do "push notifications" like the Twitter app.
    However, Facebook 1.8 does, which is what I'm beta testing as well. Facebook 1.8 doesn't add a new UI or anything but it makes the app experience more pleasant. Everything loads quicker and the push notifications are a big plus.

For those of you who used the old Myspace app, you had to have your email that you log into Myspace with associated to your BlackBerry. Once Myspace 2.0 came around that's when having your email registered with your BlackBerry wasn't necessary and push notifications came around. So regarding your case, unless you want to register your gmail account with your BlackBerry, you'll have to wait until RIM releases FaceBook 1.8 to the public.
    06-27-10 01:50 AM
    Facebook 1.7 doesn't do "push notifications" like the Twitter app.
    However, Facebook 1.8 does, which is what I'm beta testing as well. Facebook 1.8 doesn't add a new UI or anything but it makes the app experience more pleasant. Everything loads quicker and the push notifications are a big plus.

For those of you who used the old Myspace app, you had to have your email that you log into Myspace with associated to your BlackBerry. Once Myspace 2.0 came around that's when having your email registered with your BlackBerry wasn't necessary and push notifications came around. So regarding your case, unless you want to register your gmail account with your BlackBerry, you'll have to wait until RIM releases FaceBook 1.8 to the public.
    06-27-10 01:51 AM
    I'm actually a member of the Beta Zone. Did I miss my chance to get the new Facebook Beta? I am not seeing it listed in the programs anymore....bad sign I take it?
    06-27-10 02:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD