Facebook: Could not connect because a data service is not available.

Had a similar problem with gmail and reinstalled gmail (painful). Would be nice if I understood root cause and had a simple remedy.

Tried to delete facebook app, but was unsucessful (no option to delete when facebook app is selected in menu).

Has anyone solved this issue? Thank you.
    11-15-09 08:34 AM
    Had this same issue the other day. It took about 10 minutes of trying to sign on till I could and then it was fine..
    11-15-09 09:46 AM
    Unless you have BIS, Facebook 1.7 will not work properly, if at all.

If you can get 1.6 to load on there you will have some usefulness.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-09 10:03 AM
    I had this problem saturday night, had to delete the app then reinstall.
    It seems to have fixed the problem for me.
    11-15-09 11:18 AM
    So I added the BIS service to my account, and Facebook will not connect. I connected to Desktop Manage in order to upload a new theme, and there was no option to add or remove Facebook, it just remved it. Now when I go to Facebook webiste in the BB Browner and try to download, it tells me my device is not supported for either version.

What gives?
    11-15-09 06:41 PM
    ....Update....

And now I can get it to connect, and I see my friends list and my pictures, but it says "No Stream Posts Available" when I try to see Status Updates and when I try yo see News Feeds.

...I think I'm ditching Sprint / Nextel and going to a new carrier and a new device when my contract expires in February!
    11-16-09 02:58 AM
    happened to me last night. i reinstalled the app and now all is well
    11-16-09 09:37 AM
    Shouldn't have to constantly uninstall and reinstall apps, do batter pulls, master resets, ect. Sprint/Nextel and Blackberry sucks and I am moving on in Feruary when my contract expires. My friends on other carriers with other devices never complain of these kind of issues.
    11-16-09 07:25 PM
    I think I am right behind you RGW.. ALL data services are down tonight. I've been on the phone with Sprint now for 2 hours. They keep telling me to pull the battery. Gonna call a guy I know in a Verizon store and see how I can get out of this contract.. I've given up all hope on this phone.. It's just not worth the agrevation to find out I can surf the net with my Commodore 64 faster then this phone...
    11-16-09 08:17 PM
    I don't know what Sprint did to my service last night when I was hemming and whoring at them on the phone but suddenly today, Facebook comes right up no problems, the Browser I get my websites very fast, and texts are coming in within seconds of sending.. I guess when you send a letter to Dan Hesse (Yes I got a call back from one of his assistants today shockingly so) suddenly things work great.. I'll give this time of good service a couple of weeks before I annoint this phone great..
    11-17-09 09:26 PM
    If anyone has the older version of FB (1.6) please upload to this thread. Thank you.
    11-20-09 05:32 AM
    is 1.6 showing notifications for anyone or is it only allowing you to log on and view peoples profiles/statuses? this is the situation with me, i have 1.6 installed and i never recieve notifications but i can view profiles, any suggestions?
    12-26-09 09:26 PM
    it dont need bes or bis so boosters be happy
    12-26-09 10:37 PM
    Is any other booster not receiving notifications from 1.6

Before i updated to 1.7 i use to receive notifications also when i first got the phone and loaded it with boost i had set my gmail account with my device, and i think thats why i received notification..

But after my phone crashed and i had to do and full os updated i lost that option for setting up email with the device. I know you need BIS to set it up.. But before i had the boost sim card and or any service on the phone i think i set it up through the wifi.. anyone have any ideas?

ps I HAVE been looking for ways to fix this on my own for about 2 months now and still cant get it.. so now im asking
    12-27-09 12:00 PM
    I believe FB relies on the e-mail to both receive notifications and to post thing on FB.

12-28-09 05:56 AM
    Is any other booster not receiving notifications from 1.6

Before i updated to 1.7 i use to receive notifications also when i first got the phone and loaded it with boost i had set my gmail account with my device, and i think thats why i received notification..

But after my phone crashed and i had to do and full os updated i lost that option for setting up email with the device. I know you need BIS to set it up.. But before i had the boost sim card and or any service on the phone i think i set it up through the wifi.. anyone have any ideas?

ps I HAVE been looking for ways to fix this on my own for about 2 months now and still cant get it.. so now im asking
    You should still be able to set up gmail on the 8350i. Go to m.goolge.com with the native browser and download the Google App. FB will send notifications to your Gmail.
    12-28-09 11:39 AM
    yea the gmail app is better than shangmail, but im running both email apps in case shangmail stops functioning , at least i will still get my emails if it fails. if we could get our Gmail thru the main inox on the 8350i , that would be sweet...
    12-28-09 07:29 PM
    You should still be able to set up gmail on the 8350i. Go to m.goolge.com with the native browser and download the Google App. FB will send notifications to your Gmail.
    Yeah I have been a member of google mail for 2 years now and my facebook notifications always went to that mail.. and when i got my bb i dl the app..

What im trying to say before is in the setup option where you see set up email, there is the option to set up email with a company or.. set up a regular email or the blackberry email.. i only have the company option..

So eventhough i have the gmail app.. the facebook app wont set up the notifications since there is no email associated with the device.

And i had the option before my bb crashed and i had to redo the operating system and service books.
    12-29-09 08:27 AM
    It's not just Sprint guys. This same problem is happening to me with AT&T.
    01-06-10 06:53 PM
    it dont need bes or bis so boosters be happy
    Hi, I'm new to BB, I have a Bold 9000, and it always says that the data service is not available. How do I install the files that you posted?

Thanks,

Sofia
    04-15-10 12:50 PM
    Same problem here. 8900 - T Mobile. I delete the application several times and re-downloaded again but no luck. Also of Viigo, I can't add another weather channel (city). Also did soft reset more than 3 times and hard reset, the problem still there.
    04-21-10 09:10 PM
    FYI...if you have Boost and are running OS 5.0, Facebook 1.6 will not work - it automatically updates to 1.7 (which does not work with Boost). If anyone has a work around, please share.
    05-02-10 03:54 PM
    How about using 1.5?

05-02-10 04:29 PM
    I had this same problem too... (Bold 9700 with Tmobile)

for some reason my email was not validated with my phone any longer... I had to go in and revalidate my email (same one associated with my FB) and then everything started working again... I'm guessing FB won't work unless the email you use for it is set up with your BB?
    05-06-10 06:57 AM
    I was having the same problem with "no data service available" on facebook. My service provider told. Me v1.7 doesn't work with the 8350i. They sent me an email with the appropriate files to re install v1.6 and now it works fine.
    05-10-10 07:48 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD