I am leaning toward coming back to BlackBerry from my current iPhone 4...but I keep getting caught by remembering how poor the Facebook application functioned on both my previous 9000 and 9700 Bolds. I mean, really...for such a RIM-sponsored and hyped application to function so badly is really a shame...especially for it to operate so smoothly and seemlessly on the iPhone.

Is there a current version that doesn't have the screen-sticking, laggy, choppy issues of the past versions?

It sounds odd, but the dis-functionality of the BB Facebook app is one thing that is keeping me from selling my iPhone today and buying another BB 9700.
    09-16-10 10:07 AM
    I am leaning toward coming back to BlackBerry from my current iPhone 4...but I keep getting caught by remembering how poor the Facebook application functioned on both my previous 9000 and 9700 Bolds. I mean, really...for such a RIM-sponsored and hyped application to function so badly is really a shame...especially for it to operate so smoothly and seemlessly on the iPhone.

Is there a current version that doesn't have the screen-sticking, laggy, choppy issues of the past versions?

It sounds odd, but the dis-functionality of the BB Facebook app is one thing that is keeping me from selling my iPhone today and buying another BB 9700.
    I never had an earlier version of Facebook, so I can't really help in that aspect and tell you if this version is better than previous ones. But I agree with you, the Facebook application for iPhone/iPod Touch is a thousand times better (most of the time). It doesn't really bother me though, because it works well enough for me to check my notifications and respond to them, and then get off - I don't spend nearly as much time on the BlackBerry Facebook compared to the iPod's.
    09-16-10 10:11 AM
    From what i understand there is a "cache folder" that is tied to v 1.8 of the RIM version of Facebook. If you delete that folder it should/does run smoother and quicker. However i do not use facebook, i did, but didn't want the drama. and if you want to talk to me, call/text/email/Google Talk me . . . any who, v. 1.8 is "better" once that folder is deleted.
    09-16-10 10:24 AM
    I have the blackberry facebook application as well and now all of a sudden the little red notification that appears on the ICON to let you know there is a message no longer works as of yesterday and I didnt change anything. Any suggestions? People are sending me messages etc...and I have no way of knowing without that Red Notification Symbol.
    09-16-10 11:03 AM
    I never installed the Facebook app - why bother when you can do just about everything through the mobile site and via email?

Uploading pics, status changes, and replying to FB messages can be done 100% through email.
    09-16-10 11:32 AM
    The Facebook app is very, very bad. It tends to be cantankerous to the extreme. If it were a horse I'd put it to pasture.
    09-16-10 11:50 AM
    I have ZERO issues with it.

I use it daily and I find the newest release to be the best functioning out of any release in the past.

And Qbnkelt stop trying to confuse people with big words! I know what it means but other people might think you're making stuff up

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-16-10 11:54 AM
    Unfortunately, this is the problem the BlackBerry platform is facing that not even RIM's own software engineers and developers can seem to remedy. When it comes to a smooth flowing UI and fast and consistent applications, it is almost impossible on the BlackBerry. I have yet to see it. The Facebook app demonstrates this perfectly.
    09-16-10 11:56 AM
    Yeah, whenever I use my BB I don't even use the FB app. I just use the mobile
    web site.
    09-16-10 12:46 PM
    The FB app is whatever, woulda been better if it had the chat/instant message option like if you were to sign on a computer...
    09-16-10 01:00 PM
    I have ZERO issues with it.

I use it daily and I find the newest release to be the best functioning out of any release in the past.

And Qbnkelt stop trying to confuse people with big words! I know what it means but other people might think you're making stuff up

That's copacetic....
    09-16-10 01:09 PM
    Actually, the current 1.8 (released early last month) runs quite well on my old 8100 Pearl. The previous 1.7 was total crap.

Still not perfect, but better than it was. I can actually upload photos now without having to email it and then have to edit my post on a pc to get rid of my standard email signature that would always go with it.

Last edited by joeldf; 09-16-10 at 01:30 PM.
    09-16-10 01:25 PM
    Yeah 1.8 is much better but still is no where near perfect!
    09-16-10 01:55 PM
    Ha! Not even moving on to the stud farm (you sure as heck wouldn't want this to reproduce). I agree, though, it sucks. I only use it to read notifications when I'm away from my computer.

The Facebook app is very, very bad. It tends to be cantankerous to the extreme. If it were a horse I'd put it to pasture.
    09-16-10 02:08 PM
    it sucks because 1. it was built by RIM 2. BB's have limited app space so the app can't be packed with features
    09-16-10 03:48 PM
    I had the 1.7 version on my bold 9700 and had no issues with it, made the mistake of upgrading to the latest version

Terrible lag at time
    Very poor thought out notification system
    Calendar/contact sync broken

One of the worst apps I have ever used

09-16-10 05:54 PM
    I never installed the Facebook app - why bother when you can do just about everything through the mobile site and via email?

Uploading pics, status changes, and replying to FB messages can be done 100% through email.
    I didn't have a need for it at first either, but now I love it.
    I like how it allows me to manually sync my favorite Facebook friends. That way it adds their birthday to my Calendar, and it syncs them to my Address Book. This allows me to send them a message or write on their wall from my Address Book. I prefer to sync them manually, rather than syncing everyone. That way, I can pick and choose who I want it to sync with.

09-17-10 02:59 AM
    Works well on my device. A lot better than previous versions.
    1.7 used to lag and hang somewhat when pulling up my Friends List. No lag at all with 1.8 when pulling up and searching through my Friends List.
    Wish they would add a feature that would hide the Top Panel when scrolling through News Feeds. That way I could see more of what I'm reading. I would like to be able to fine scroll with my trackpad, and page scroll with my Space Bar. It never allows me to page scroll that well. If the cursor stops on an image, the page scrolling no longer works. Have to scroll with the trackpad to move the cursor off of the image, then go back to using the Space Bar. Wish they would fix that.

09-17-10 03:08 AM
    Well, its really slow and the interface sucks.
    I seriously prefer the mobile site for viewing of profile and stuff.
    I only use the app to update my status because I don't have to load it.

09-17-10 03:37 AM
    I didn't have a need for it at first either, but now I love it.
    I like how it allows me to manually sync my favorite Facebook friends. That way it adds their birthday to my Calendar, and it syncs them to my Address Book. This allows me to send them a message or write on their wall from my Address Book. I prefer to sync them manually, rather than syncing everyone. That way, I can pick and choose who I want it to sync with.

That's interesting. I suppose if you're initiating a private message for FB, that's a good advantage. The birthday thing is good too, but I get notifications of that via email already, which is good enough for me (I already have Bdays for more-important friends/family on my google calendar).

If I spent a LOT of time on FB through my BB, I would probably be more apt to use this application, but for now, email / web interface works just fine for my needs.
    09-17-10 10:47 AM
    It would be nice if you could hide the text input box like in twitter for BlackBerry and bring it up with the C key.

Roland
    09-19-10 10:35 AM
    I pretty much gave up on the FB app ever since I got a SS invite. It basically can do everything that the FB app can do, except 10x better and faster. The only thing that I liked about the app was the synchronization of pictures and birthdays.
    One stupid thing that I miss about the FB app is under my status saying "Facebook for BlackBerry" haha... superficial I know
    09-19-10 06:52 PM
    Funny, most of the people in this thread don't even use the FB 1.8 app, yet they feel free to chime in.

Ignore those people. They are worthless and weak.

I like FB 1.8. FB 1.7 and below were very slow when it came to refreshing feeds and one's list of friends, and when viewing photo albums. Those problems no longer exist with v.1.8.

My major beef with it is that one can't post videos. (I have to use the Torch's YouTube uploader app and then post a link on FB instead.) I don't use chat on FB, no matter where, so I suppose that is a shortcoming as well, and I can't view group pages or anything like that (I'm not sure one can do that on the iPhone version either, but I don't know). But other than that, it works fine as far as I'm concerned.
    09-20-10 08:57 AM
    Funny, most of the people in this thread don't even use the FB 1.8 app, yet they feel free to chime in.

Ignore those people. They are worthless and weak.

I like FB 1.8. FB 1.7 and below were very slow when it came to refreshing feeds and one's list of friends, and when viewing photo albums. Those problems no longer exist with v.1.8.

My major beef with it is that one can't post videos. (I have to use the Torch's YouTube uploader app and then post a link on FB instead.) I don't use chat on FB, no matter where, so I suppose that is a shortcoming as well, and I can't view group pages or anything like that (I'm not sure one can do that on the iPhone version either, but I don't know). But other than that, it works fine as far as I'm concerned.
    I agree. Facebook 1.8 is not all that bad. I use it to send a message to friends, view news and status feeds, write on buddies wall, sync certain contacts to my BlackBerry address book, and upload photos. It does all of those with no issues.

Last edited by cdf3; 09-20-10 at 10:45 AM.
    09-20-10 10:42 AM
    I like the fb app on the bb. Ever since 1.8 betas its been great. Used to suck cause it took forever to load initially, but thats gone now. Far better than the android app which doesnt notify you when people reply to comments and such.
    09-20-10 04:48 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD