First of all, sorry if this a totally noob question. But I am indeed a noob at this forums and a total BB noob as well (I just got my very first BB yesterday).

I have an AT&T locked BB Torch 9800 but I don't have a data plan or
    service contract with AT&T. I'm just using a prepaid pay as you go sim card right now. I can text, call and browse (using 3G and wifi) fine but I couldn't seem to use the Face book app.

Can I still use the phone's Facebook app? When I tried, I got an error:

"Cannot reach the Facebook server at this time".

What do I need to do to be able to use the Facebook app?

I noticed that my device is not connected BIS and BES. Do I need
    to be connected to these servers first to use the Facebook app? (I haven't registered for a BIS account yet).

I'm just fine with even just being able to use Facebook up only when I'm at home using my wifi. But is this possible? If someone could post a detailed step-by-step instructions on what I need to do, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot in advance!
    Last edited by boknoy21; 10-12-10 at 09:04 AM.
    10-12-10 08:57 AM
    No. You will need a BB feature and ATT does not offer BB features on prepaid plans. Any of the programs that RIM writes will require a connection to the BIS to function.
    10-12-10 08:59 AM
    Thanks for the quick reply.

So even if I register for a BIS account at the AT&T website, my device
    will still not be able to connect to BIS? Even just through my home wifi?
    10-12-10 09:07 AM
    You can use the facebook mobile website via the browser.
    10-12-10 09:08 AM
    Yup, I know. But the layout is not very nice So I'm hoping to be able to use the phone's Facebook app.
    10-12-10 09:11 AM
    Not gonna happen without getting the dataplan.
    10-12-10 09:24 AM
    Okay, because without a data plan I won't be able to register the device
    and create a BIS account right?
    10-12-10 09:54 AM
    That's correct. Perhaps you could get by with their cheaper data plan?
    10-12-10 09:56 AM
    This guys got like 5 threads about this PK. Delete or lock the others please.
    10-12-10 10:18 AM
    This guys got like 5 threads about this PK. Delete or lock the others please.
    There were just 2, but I took care of it.
    10-12-10 11:56 AM
    Any BlackBerry apps that go through RIM's servers (or use push technology) must have a data plan in place. The data plan is how your BB gets registered with their servers.

No data plan = no server connection = no facebook app, no native twitter, AIM, Yahoo Messenger, Google Talk, ICQ, WLM...

3rd party apps should still work over wifi, but native apps won't.
    10-12-10 04:38 PM
    My apologies for the "double thread". I just wasn't sure where this topic should belong.

Anyway, I found out that AT&T offers "pay as you go" data plans too (1MB for $5 and 100MB for $19.99). Once you consume it, you need to refill, so it's really pay-as-you-go.

If I load up this "pay as you go" data plan, will I be able to finally register my phone (via host routing table) and create a BIS account? Then ultimately use the Facebook app and other native apps?
    10-13-10 11:25 AM
    My apologies for the "double thread". I just wasn't sure where this topic should belong.

Anyway, I found out that AT&T offers "pay as you go" data plans too (1MB for $5 and 100MB for $19.99). Once you consume it, you need to refill, so it's really pay-as-you-go.

If I load up this "pay as you go" data plan, will I be able to finally register my phone (via host routing table) and create a BIS account? Then ultimately use the Facebook app and other native apps?

How was this ????
    11-13-10 03:14 PM

No. You will not be able to get BIS. AT&T does not offer prepaid BIS plans.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    11-13-10 03:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD