ok so i upgraded my os to os5 everything was fine untill i installed facebook back on. it just won't sign me in. keeps saying "could not contact the facebook server" im really confused and as a novice have no idea what to do.
    07-23-10 08:09 AM
    Sounds like there is a problem on FaceBook's end.

If you can use any other Blackberry Feature it's not a problem with the network or blackberry.
    07-23-10 08:11 AM
    Agreed, sounds like the FB server has issues. I just checked mine, and I got updates. Keep trying.
    07-23-10 08:15 AM
    Sounds to me like you may have a signal issue, sometimes when im in an are of poor signal facebook is the first thing not to work.
    yep everything eles seems to be working fine , ubertwitter ect just facebook :/
    If you upgraded to the recent .822 then it seems to be an issue with the OS itself as most people are having the same issue.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/lea...-822-a-500923/
    Last edited by NoahFecks; 07-23-10 at 08:20 AM.
    07-23-10 08:17 AM
    yehhh i am in an area of weak signal but it was working before
    07-23-10 08:17 AM
    the version im on is v5.0.0.681
    07-23-10 08:18 AM
    I just upgraded to bold, and had no issues with facebook app for first few days. This morning I wanted to send a message to someone, and the phone would not update my friends list ... it got stuck at 4%. tried everything, finally tried uninstall/reinstall. Now I get "A connection cannot be established to the Facebook server."

It was online earlier ... just could not update friends. now, nothing? I have tried every suggestion I've come across. Any ideas?
    07-23-10 08:22 AM
    My facebook and bolt aren't working either. Haven't upgraded my OS either.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-23-10 08:22 AM
    I'd been thinking it was because of the new OS a lot of us put on our 9000 yesterday, but now I see it's happening to a lot of other people.

I've been able to work around it by using the FB 1.8 beta, as detailed here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/lea...ml#post5377880

Edit: WTF is going on today? Links aren't being posted properly all of a sudden. Anyway, go to post #36 on page 3 of the 9000 OS thread Noah linked to above.
    Last edited by JasW; 07-23-10 at 08:37 AM.
    07-23-10 08:29 AM
    wish ild never updated now
    07-23-10 08:41 AM
    I'm having the same problem with facebook. I think facebook server is down. WE just need to wait and try again

07-23-10 08:49 AM
    Yea my internet is fine. facebook tells me problem with server...
    07-23-10 08:50 AM
    spoke with verizon (carrier) ... they tell me it's a known issue with new facebook update (they place the outage starting yesterday) ... facebook/rim are aware and working on it. we shall see?
    07-23-10 09:18 AM
    I'm new here and am having the same problem with my Curve 8530. I'm new to the BB too, this is my first and I've had it about a month.

My desktop software did a massive update a few weeks ago (250MB file). When I plugged my Curve in last night, it started updating the software. It now says the it's running 5.0.0.654.

So after the update, I basically had to reconfigure or reinstall my few apps, Sprint Navigation, etc. Facebook wouldn't work, it's giving me the same message the OP has.

I tried logging in from both home and work, and neither will connect.

The weird thing is that my home screen has the icon like I have two new FB messages, and my FB friends birthdays are in my calendar.

Anyway, any other suggestions? Is it possible that I need to delete and reinstall Facebook? How do I do that? Do I just delete the app and download it from App World?

Thanks,
    Jason
    07-23-10 09:28 AM
    This is apparently only happening to people who for whatever reason (upgrade, new phone, etc.) were logged out of FB during the last 24 hours -- apparently if you have been logged in all of this time, which is how I normally have FB running on my phone, you don't have a problem.
    07-23-10 09:36 AM
    Hey, glad I found this - I'm not the only one! lol I was starting to worry cos I only got my blackberry a couple of days ago, so not the best first impression. It started last night, I stupidly decided I should sign out of facebook because I didnt like the idea of the phone constantly being connected, I didnt think it was good for it to be always connected to the internet but then I realised BBM is always connected and also the whole reason its connected is so you can get notifications etc sent directly to your berry so duhh so it was stupid of me. Anyway I decided to log back in but it just kept coming up with the same error everyone else seems to get 'A connection cannot be established to the Facebook Server'. I left it till today and its been doing it all day. Everything else works even other apps such as MSN Messenger and Twitter, I can access FB through the browser, it is just the FB app. Occasionally itll be loading for longer than usual and itll come up with a message that says something like 'Connection cannot be established, no data server can be connected please try again later or contact your provider'. Something along those lines. I reinstalled the app and this didnt work.

So, I rang my provider (T Mobile UK) they got me to take the battery out and turn it back on to resend me all the connectiony related stuff, that didnt work. They explained that T Mobile have nothing to do with the app itself all the can do is reset the connection and thats about it. So they sent me through to technical support, the guy told me to go to the service books and delete everything except 'Provisioning'. So I did all this, took the battery out and in again. And.. it didnt work. He then basically told me that other people had rung up about it today and its not a problem with the phone or tmobile but probably the FB server and there was not much else he could do.

I havent done any updates to my OS (which is what seems to have caused this for some people), I'm running 4.6 on my curve 8900.

I've read other forums and this has happened to people in the past and some have said that it just fixes itself. As someone previously mentioned FB and RIM are aware of the problem so... I guess we just sit back and wait?

Just out of curiosity - has this happened to anybody before and if so how long did it take for it to be fixed?
    07-23-10 09:46 AM
    Same here. Had my phone replaced yesterday. Keep getting the same "A connection cannot be established to the Facebook server" when trying to sign-in to Facebook via the native Facebook App. I'll wait until the end-of-the-day. Considering all other PUSH items (i.e. E-Mail, Twitter, SMS, etc.) & Web are working, I too would have to agree it's a RIM / Facebook communication issue. Hopefully it will be worth the outage in the end?
    07-23-10 10:13 AM
    07-23-10 11:13 AM
    I'm having the same problem ..... I hope they sort it out soon!
    07-23-10 11:42 AM
    i sent crackberry an email saying they should put it on the main page but no reply as of yet. i think it is the process of login out of facebook and attempting to log back in thats the issue, as everyone thts stayed logged in doesnt seem to be having a problem. hope they fix it soon tho :/
    07-23-10 11:55 AM
    i sent crackberry an email saying they should put it on the main page but no reply as of yet. i think it is the process of login out of facebook and attempting to log back in thats the issue, as everyone thts stayed logged in doesnt seem to be having a problem. hope they fix it soon tho :/
    Yep! Thats the only thing I did - log out. Now I cant log back in.
    07-23-10 01:02 PM
    I have a Bold 9650. Not only does my Facebook app not work, but my browser won't open, nor will my weather radar app open. Could this be a BB server problem?
    I tried a reboot, but that didn't solve anything. I'm not convinced that it is only a Facebook issue. My wife's Curve works fine.
    07-23-10 01:27 PM
    I was still able to use the FB app this morning (T-Mobile), seems like we have yet another outage

07-23-10 06:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD