Whenever I got a facebook alert the only thing that would happen is the LED would blink. So I went in to change the notification settings and picked a ringtone to use for it. But under volume there's no "active profile" setting to pick. So if I choose a volume, wouldn't it still play the ringtone even if my phone was on vibrate/silent?

I did set it to vibrate wheb an alet comes in (in/out of holster) but I would like to have a notifying sound as well.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-17-09 02:38 PM
    you have to change it in each of the profiles you use. and make sure its set to vib for the vib profile and silent for the silent profile.
    10-17-09 02:41 PM
    How do I change it for each profile?

10-17-09 02:43 PM
    Anyone know how?

10-17-09 05:00 PM
    go to your profiles icon and click on "edit profiles". then go to each profile you use and click on "other" and change the facebook alert in there. make sure the vib profile is only set to vib, and the silent profile set to silent.
    10-17-09 05:58 PM
    when i go to my profiles icon and click it what comes up is

normal
    loud
    medium
    vibrate only
    silent
    phone calls only
    all alerts off
    --------
    set ring tones/alerts
    set contact alerts
    custom profiles (and theres none in there)

or is that not my "profiles" icon?
    10-17-09 06:39 PM
    go to set ring tones/alerts in there and go to "other" and change the facebook notifications.
    10-17-09 07:18 PM
    go to set ring tones/alerts in there and go to "other" and change the facebook notifications.
    That's what I tried.. But like when setting contact personal ringtones, under the sound option, it says "active profile" so if the phone was on silent the contacts personal ring/alert tone would not go off. Same in vibrate.

But under the sound options for facebook there's no "active rofile" setting and it just gives u a volume level or silent. And I'm thinking if I select a volume level it will still play an alert sound even when the phone is set the silent/vib.

10-17-09 08:41 PM
    ok, im not sure i can explain it any more than this:

go to profiles and set your profile to vibrate. then, go to profiles again and hit "set rintones/alerts". then go down to "other" and then "facebook". just make sure that the alert is set to silent and vibrate is set to always.

then, do the same thing for silent. just take the previous paragraph and insert "silent" instead of "vibrate". and make sure the alert is silent and the vibrate is off.
    10-17-09 08:46 PM
    ok, im not sure i can explain it any more than this:

go to profiles and set your profile to vibrate. then, go to profiles again and hit "set rintones/alerts". then go down to "other" and then "facebook". just make sure that the alert is set to silent and vibrate is set to always.

then, do the same thing for silent. just take the previous paragraph and insert "silent" instead of "vibrate". and make sure the alert is silent and the vibrate is off.
    Sorry if I'm not understanding you, I've had the phone for a week or two, its my first BB.

So my phone profile right now is at "normal" so I went to the facebook alet options and set the volume at 5. Then turned my phone to the vibrate profile and went back to the facebook options. It was at volume 5 so I set it to silent. then turned my phone back to normal to check back on the FB settings and it was at silent now

10-17-09 09:10 PM
    aaaaaaahhhhhhh... that actually explains it all. you are on the OS that has a glitch in the profiles. no matter what you change it to, all of your profiles are going to be the same. it is not supposed to be like that, but it will be like that until you upgrade OS's. there is a section in here: http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-lecture-series on how to upgrade your OS, should you chose to do so. the OS you'd want to grab is at the top of this forum(9630) in a "sticky". i believe it is 4.7.1.57 or something like that..

sorry we werent on the same page, i had no idea quite what was going on. i had that OS when i first got my phone, and i upgraded it the same day because of the profile glitch.
    10-17-09 10:48 PM
    Actually, this is the answer you are looking for:

You are doing everything correct. Go to profiles and set tones and alerts. Go to other and set the volume and vibrate for facebook. In this menu, you are setting the alerts for the NORMAL profile no matter what you are currently on.

This means that if you set the volume to 5, when on normal it will be at level 5. On loud, it will be louder than 5. Vibrate it will have no sound. All alerts off will be no sound or vibrate.

Just a note, if you set it to 5 and then change to vibrate profile, it will still show 5 if you go back into the settings, as this is the NORMAL profile. Everything else happens relative to the NORMAL setting.

I hope I have been clear on this.
    10-18-09 12:24 AM
    Oh and to address the other statement you posted... If you set a custom contact ringtone, the reason you have "use active profile" is so that it will follow the same relative changes as the profile. So if you set a contact ringtone, it will only vibrate if you have it on vibrate, etc. If you choose a volume, that will override your profile settings. This would be useful if you only wanted to be alerted to calls from your boss, you could choose say 7, and regardless of what profile you have set, it will still alert you to your boss at volume 7.
    10-18-09 12:28 AM
    Wow lots a good info haha.. Thanks everyone!

10-18-09 02:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD