08-20-09 07:26 PM
97 1234
tools
    I installed facebook 1.5 yesterday and then last night played around with it to see what the differences were.

Anyway, i found that you could sync your BB contacts with your face book contacts and it would download their pic to your BB contacts and you would have this nice link between the 2. Great.

So I went ahead and linked about 20 of my friends and collegues. Then I exited out of that screen and saw in my mail list, facebook and blackberry that the application automatically sent a request to EVERY facebook friend that I do not have their phone number and that I would like it. EVEN if my BB contact information had a phone number it STILL requested one. It only checked to see if the facebook contact info had a phone number.

I have not received any replies back, but you might not want to link your contacts if you don't want the BB facebook sending out crazy requests.
    If you have it set up to not do it automatically (not checking the box in the Facebook mobile options menu) then it doesn't send that request. It may show something making it seem like it sent a request, but it doesn't really send it.

I went through my facebook friends list and one by one, connecting people to a blackberry contact. Afterwards I saw the loooooooong list of phone number requests in my Facebook folder and FREAKED OUT! lol. Then I texted a few ppl asking if they had gotten a request and they said they never did. So do it manually and you dont have to worry about this being the most embarassing week of your Crackberry life. lol.
    Last edited by shaydakiss23; 04-22-09 at 11:22 AM.
    04-22-09 11:20 AM
    I stand corrected. It took over 12 hours for it to appear in my friends request boxes however.
    04-22-09 11:21 AM
    im so glad i didnt try this

"hey remember me i was your prom date 6 years ago, i know we haven't talked since then, and i know it was weird enough to add you on facebook, but now i want to be able to harass you on the phone whenever i want, so please send me your phone number, also tell your husband hello?"
    04-22-09 11:25 AM
    Yeah. 1.5 screwed up my hidden today. It only showed my single Facebook event coming up, so I deleted the event. Not fixed. Deleted Facebook app. Still no today section.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-22-09 11:26 AM
    Wow, this thread scared and pissed me off enough for me to immediate delete the FB app from my BB. Spamming my contacts without permission is inexcusable.
    04-22-09 11:26 AM
    I installed facebook 1.5 yesterday and then last night played around with it to see what the differences were.

Anyway, i found that you could sync your BB contacts with your face book contacts and it would download their pic to your BB contacts and you would have this nice link between the 2. Great.

So I went ahead and linked about 20 of my friends and collegues. Then I exited out of that screen and saw in my mail list, facebook and blackberry that the application automatically sent a request to EVERY facebook friend that I do not have their phone number and that I would like it. EVEN if my BB contact information had a phone number it STILL requested one. It only checked to see if the facebook contact info had a phone number.

I have not received any replies back, but you might not want to link your contacts if you don't want the BB facebook sending out crazy requests.
    Pretty sure thats incorrect. FB only syncs with your contacts already in your phone. The only requests you send out are if your friends number isnt listed in their FB profile, but you have it on your phone (i dont get it either). So, you shouldnt be requesting ANYONES number you dont already have. If you're worried about that then, you shouldnt have their number in your phone.. Chill.
    04-22-09 11:31 AM
    Too late - can you apologise to your husband Morf - I think mine just sent a request to his phone also!

I didn't know it was going to email your hubby - otherwise I wouldn't have continued with the contact connections.

It actually DOES send the request to people if you connect your contacts manually, if they don't have their numbers listed on FB. It sent a request to my husband, asking him for his phone number! Ha ha ha ha! We got a good laugh out of it.
    04-22-09 11:31 AM
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME WITH THIS!?!?!?!?!?!

This is the update!?!?!?! This is utterly ridiculous...what a disappointment...all this time to add this lousy feature that sux. What about FB chat or something...lord! The GUI wasn't even touched...

I'm a big FB user (like most have become these days) and this is the most ridonkulous software update I have ever seen in my entire life...EVER!

Even worse than Windows ME
    04-22-09 11:32 AM
    I recieved a birthday party invite and it automatically put it on my calendar which I thought was pretty cool. But when I deleted the notification off out of the facebook app it also deleted the information from my calendar. So I guess if you want it in your calendar you have to keep the notification on your facebook app.
    04-22-09 11:36 AM
    Nice. It's people like you who make this forum more valuable.
    04-22-09 11:37 AM
    Yea that sucks sent out 20 phone # requests to ppl I sidnt want them to k ow I just wanted tovupate hei info.

04-22-09 11:41 AM
    Yea that sucks sent out 20 phone # requests to ppl I sidnt want them to k ow I just wanted tovupate hei info.

But, why wouldnt you want them to know if you already had their number? I dont get what all this fuss is about. If you already have a friends number, and it does this request, tell them to ignore it.... why would you have someones number in your phone you dont call, creeps.
    04-22-09 11:45 AM
    Anyone else having memory issues since downloading new Facebook?

04-22-09 11:48 AM
    Dude what were you expecting? Be glad you even have FB for your phone. FB chat sucks anyways.
    Be glad I have it? That statement could border on ridiculous as well. Im paying for a data plan on my "smartphone" which listed it as a feature and selling point. It's not like Facebook is a pay4 app and RIM has given it to me for free.

FB chat sucks...no argument there...but I would much rather FB chat as an added feature instead of syncing my contacts.

I actually just noticed one more feature...in my messages there is a FB icon there instead of the old envelope. Thats cool
    04-22-09 11:49 AM
    i <3 being a creepy facebook stalker!
    04-22-09 11:55 AM
    Pretty sad it took them this long to essentially release a MINOR update and then it doesn't even work properly(the pics syncing only for few)

04-22-09 12:02 PM
    But, why wouldnt you want them to know if you already had their number? I dont get what all this fuss is about. If you already have a friends number, and it does this request, tell them to ignore it.... why would you have someones number in your phone you dont call, creeps.
    The problem is you're bothering people with this request by asking them to add their phone number to their Facebook profile just to appease the new Blackberry Facebook app when the goal was just to sync their photo on the device and allow Facebook integration from contacts.

The app is over stepping it's bounds.
    04-22-09 12:12 PM
    Happened to me too. It also added their birthdays to my bb. I don't know if it's the today theme I'm using, but now when I hover to my calendar on the home screen, none of my appointments show up anymore. It only show their birthdays on the home screen. Anyone else having this problem?
    Happened to me too. DON'T "restore theme to default" like some people are suggesting. It doesn't work and you will just have to reorganize all your icons. If you have SmrtGuard, you can use that to restore your events. Some are still refusing to come up in the hidden today but I feel like it will fully work after a battery pull. Some people are saying that you can go into the facebook app, uncheck the "sync to calendar" option, do a battery pull, go back in and recheck it, but I haven't tried that.
    04-22-09 12:21 PM
    The problem is you're bothering people with this request by asking them to add their phone number to their Facebook profile just to appease the new Blackberry Facebook app when the goal was just to sync their photo on the device and allow Facebook integration from contacts.

The app is over stepping it's bounds.
    Im pretty sure they'll get over it. Whether or not they add it to their FB profile, you will still have their phone number. If they are your friends, I'm sure you're not going to ruin their day with this request - tell them to ignore it. Come on, there are bigger issues than getting a request from a friend on FB.
    04-22-09 12:36 PM
    Im pretty sure they'll get over it. Whether or not they add it to their FB profile, you will still have their phone number. If they are your friends, I'm sure you're not going to ruin their day with this request - tell them to ignore it. Come on, there are bigger issues than getting a request from a friend on FB.
    Yea I was sadly mistaken. It took forever to send the request, but it still sent it. This really ticks me off...why would there be an option to "Request Phone Number" if they're gonna do it anyway whether choose that option or not??? Thats pretty lame. lol.

But I totally agree with this comment. Better it be someone who I already have as a contact in my Blackberry than every random person who asks to be my friend on facebook! I would officially go into hiding otherwise! lol.
    04-22-09 12:42 PM
    Oh yeah...
    I found out about this the hard way too.

Sent a request to an EX....and all i was trying to do is just update the info and add picture.

What a mess!
    04-22-09 12:53 PM
    yeah my storm has been hemorrhaging memory since FB 1.5...can't remember the last time i fell under 10 in about 4 hrs from a reset

hey i also wanted to mention that i upgraded to the paid version of stormslider yesterday and saw people reporting memory leaks with that as well...re-installing free version to find out which one is the culprit
    Last edited by pizzlefoshizzle23; 04-22-09 at 01:07 PM.
    04-22-09 12:58 PM
    i deleted this p.o.s. app, my memory was falling like a plane with no engines.....
    04-22-09 12:59 PM
    i deleted this p.o.s. app, my memory was falling like a plane with no engines.....

Same here...just hit delete and waiting for reboot. My memory went down to 3MB for the first time ever!
    04-22-09 01:10 PM

So you don't have a problem with applications making requests on your behalf without your consent? I don't think it's the end of the world, but it have been nice to know that it worked this way prior to sending off 20 requests

04-22-09 01:32 PM
97 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD