11-05-10 11:18 PM
50 12
tools
    Allot of posts have been made with in the past 24 hours or so about how Facebook has messed up users calendar and today screens, and also question with their contact lists.

Well here are some fixes to make things move a bit smoothly. And hopefully get things back to the way they were before.
    *In this section we will cover steps on resetting the calendar. Follow this if you wish to keep Facebook calendar sync on you device but would like your calendar back.

After you installed and setup the new Facebook your wondering why you have duplicate entries and also your today screen is now blank.

What happens is that setting up face book calendar sync changes you blackberry calendar from the default one you had set to Facebook now being the default one.

To get your normal appts back. Go to Options>Advanced Options> Default Services.

Make sure the calendar is set to the one you had before.

Use this section if you wish to remove facebook calendar sync from your blackberry. And remove Facebook appts from the calendar totally. This will keep Facebook App on your device but all the sync operations will not work.

After you installed and setup the new Facebook your wondering why you have duplicate entries and also your today screen is now blank.

What happens is that setting up face book calendar sync changes you blackberry calendar from the default one you had set to Facebook now being the default one.

To get your normal appts back. Go to Options>Advanced Options> Default Services.

Make sure the calendar is set to the one you had before.

Now go into Options>Advanced Options> Service Books.

Remove the Facebook [CICAL], this is the Calendar file that gets added to the device upon running facebook and setting it up for the first time.

Once that is deleted.

In facebook application go into options and turn the sync options off.

Now you got everything setup to stop coming to your device and messing with your calendar. You have to clear out your calendar. Even though you got everything turned off you still need to clear the calendar and reset it back to normal.

*Hopefully you have a recent backup of your calendar on you Windows Based PC. Or you outlook calendar, or google calendar is fully up to date.

Connect you device to desktop manager. If you have auto sync when you connect tyou have to cancel it before it sync's if not then everything on you BB will be sent over...

Go to backup and restore. Select Advanced.

On the right side you will see device data. Scroll down to the calendar. Select clear. This will wipe the calendar from the device. Now go back tot he home screen in DM and choose to sync. Everyhing should be transfered back over to the BB.

For google users who use google mobile sync. You don't have to sync with outlook. but on the device after you clear the calendar, go into Google Mobile Sync and choose reset calendar entries. Then re sync.

Hopefully this will help most of you out.

04-22-09 12:58 PM
    Question - can I still sync contacts and not calendar if I delete the Facebook CICAL service book?

Thanks so much for this!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by xfuchsiax; 04-22-09 at 03:34 PM.
    04-22-09 03:26 PM
    yester is the best . nice work homey!
    04-22-09 04:10 PM
    awesome!

i was trying to figure out why fb had duplicated my google calendar entries, glad it was a simple fix.

thanks so much
    04-22-09 04:17 PM
    I didn't experience this problem with the new fb app but I'm glad that there is a simple solution if it should ever happen.

04-22-09 04:28 PM
    Nice work, but one question: what if users DON'T want to stop sync, they just want to be rid of the duplicates? Will a battery pull necessitate repeating the first step, or is this fix permanent?
    04-22-09 08:39 PM
    Nice work, but one question: what if users DON'T want to stop sync, they just want to be rid of the duplicates? Will a battery pull necessitate repeating the first step, or is this fix permanent?
    Yea exactly - I dont want to stop synching - just get rid of the duplicates
    04-22-09 09:56 PM
    Thanks, I'm sure I'm gonna need this for wifey sooner or later

04-23-09 07:47 AM
    View Document
    04-23-09 07:56 AM
    Hi,
    my facebook events now show in my BB Storm calendar and that's fine with me but when I sync with outlook they don't get sent to outlook calendar.
    Anybody knows how to fix this?
    TNX
    04-23-09 08:19 AM
    Thanks Yester18 for the info..it fixed my calendar!!
    04-23-09 09:32 AM
    That doesn't answer my question. Nowhere in that link is what I asked mentioned. I'm not trying to discredit you., In fact, my FB and BB email are the same, so I only have one entry under CICAL and I have no problem with calendar syncing in FB 1.5. The reason I asked is because there a lots of forums users who have reported trying the fix you suggested and said that it went back to the wrong CICAL setting after a battery pull. I was just looking for clarification.

04-23-09 09:56 AM
    I didn't have to clear the calendar or use DM.

In the initial setup, I unchecked the syncing boxes, then deleted the CICAL service book, and my today calendar was back to normal.
    04-23-09 10:55 AM
    Guess I spoke too soon.

I just did a soft reset, and my today calendar went blank again. The FB CICAL was back.

What a pain!

Edit: Deleted the SB again, did another soft reset, and everything is normal.

Launched FB, did another reset, and everything is still normal. This is confusing.

Edit 2: Battery pull, blank today calendar. Guess I'll try the DM steps, now.

Edit 3: Changed the Default Services, and all is well.
    Last edited by jlamb30; 04-23-09 at 12:39 PM. Reason: added info
    04-23-09 10:59 AM
    Hi,
    my facebook events now show in my BB Storm calendar and that's fine with me but when I sync with outlook they don't get sent to outlook calendar.
    Anybody knows how to fix this?
    TNX
    in your DM sync options, check and see if that you have one way snyc or two way
    04-23-09 01:28 PM
    ok my calander is soooo messed up, how can i delet everything on it in one simple step? can i delete the cical file for the BB? would that mess everytihng up even more?
    04-23-09 01:41 PM
    That doesn't answer my question. Nowhere in that link is what I asked mentioned. I'm not trying to discredit you., In fact, my FB and BB email are the same, so I only have one entry under CICAL and I have no problem with calendar syncing in FB 1.5. The reason I asked is because there a lots of forums users who have reported trying the fix you suggested and said that it went back to the wrong CICAL setting after a battery pull. I was just looking for clarification.

You are correct, doing this will not give you sync functions unless you have the same address(I'm pretty sure) set to Facebook and to your device. Hope this clears things up.
    04-23-09 03:57 PM
    TBH, the FB app is written in a very sloppy way.
    04-24-09 04:38 AM
    Nice work on this Yester, hopefully it cleared my problem. It did not solve the duplicate problem. I'll have to do a wipe and resync. &$*#&ing facebook...
    04-25-09 09:18 PM
    I realize I'm breaking rules here by reposting in this thread, however you all seem to have a great handle on this topic and I need a hand.
    My (blue) BlackBerry default device calendar is straight up missing from the list in advanced options ~ CICAL. The events are still in my calendar under that setting, but I'm no longer able to select it for new events or as my default. All other email address calendars are present and working.
    Ideas?
    Thank you!!

04-25-09 10:54 PM
    Thanks this helped, but what if I want to go back to syncing with Facebook, and have it show both calendars. Before it would only show facebook even thoough I had show all selected?

Thanks this is a great informative thread!
    Last edited by phazelag; 04-26-09 at 01:37 AM.
    04-26-09 01:33 AM
    so I have selcted my calendar in the options menu and now nothing shows up...even if i go back and change it to Facebook calendar, nothing...I need to fix a couple other things so I did a full wipe and reinstalled everything....still same problems, tried to change settings on my Facebook page on my computer and I cant figure it out. I have everything synced (profile pics to caller IDs) but no one I have talked to has received a phone number request. I am always logged in so that I get my update but I need to get my calendar working again....lots of court dates and apps coming up and need to make sure I am there...any ideas yester?

I followed your instructions to the "T" and it still won't register...possibly the theme ????(it's the only thing I can think of)
    04-26-09 01:58 AM
    Hey,
    I have a Blackberry Curve and i've tried this but the Facebook calendar is still there and when i go to default services-Calendar, the only option is Facebook it doesnt have any other options??

Help!
    04-26-09 02:58 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I downloaded the latest version of Facebook, and updated my address book, however, since that time, I can't view anyone or any numbers in my address book on my BB Pearl - it says I have 63 contacts but I cant find any of them?
    04-27-09 05:54 PM
    thanks for this info...that calendar function on facebook was really annoying.
    04-27-09 06:48 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD