I just DL'd Opera Mini on my Curve and was about to use it when I stumbled upon a thread that said their carrier advised them not to use it because they will be charged for using another browser besides the factory BB browser. Is this true?

For those of you using T-Mobile (US) were there any charges for switching to Opera Mini?

Thanks, Ken
    03-08-08 10:10 PM
    No Opera will not incurr any "extra" charges for it's usage..carriers will tell you stuff like that due to the fact it's a 3rd party application which is not supported by them...it was probably more of a warning along the lines of "If you use it we cannot be responsible for any additional charges that may be incurred from using another browser"...which is a typical cust care/corporate response to questions about 3rd party applications.
    03-08-08 10:13 PM
    Sweet, thanks a lot for the fast reply.

BTW, this site is awesome and the people from this site are great too. I've been reading up quite a bit and the info usually is spot on.
    03-08-08 10:20 PM
    I have t-mobile AND opera mini... no extra charges on my bill.
    03-10-08 06:14 PM
    I've also been using Opera Mini and my regular browser. I bought the 8320 from T-Mo, unlocked it and now use it on the Digicel Jamaica network.

I just received my first bill and it shows charges for web browsing in addition to my BB plan (which is unlimited).

Nobody at Digicel has been able to give me a straight answer as to why I am being charged, I have told 2 technicians about using Opera mini and they say that should be included in my plan.

The problem is, I have very little faith in the BB "support" at Digicel, they know nothing most of the time, and it is rare to get one person who knows what they're talking about.

Anyone know if in fact I am being charged for Opera, or if there might be an error on Digicel's side for the charges???? This is sooo frustrating!

Thanks!
    04-18-08 10:52 AM
    I have tmobile and use operi all the time. no charges to use it
    04-18-08 11:02 AM
    Sounds like a scam. You should not and the key word is should, not be charged for using opera mini if you have a unlimited data plan.
    04-18-08 11:06 AM
    I've had issues with this as opera works on WAP on my carrier and whilst data is no issue on the build in bowser this isn't included on my plan. So I'm told. Not sure I believe it but....
    04-18-08 11:16 AM
    doubt your being charged for using opera mini..the problem lies with billin issues with your carrier, make sure you have truely "unlimited" data plan and there is no cap and they are charging you for overages same as they would your voice minutes
    04-18-08 02:35 PM
    Hey Timeless, are you using wap.voicestream.com or internet.com in your APN settings. ALso, is this being used in USA or UK? I'm tryin to load it on my phone but scared i might be charged data charges...
    10-29-09 02:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD